TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Putting Stick - The Key To Nailing Those 5 Footers?

GolfSpy Barbajo

The TPK Golf Putting Stick®                                                

mygolfspy review.jpg

“Every putt is a straight putt. Even if it curves 6 feet to the hole, you have to hit the ball straight on the line you choose.”

-Vlad Gribovsky, owner of TPK Golf & The Putting Stick®

The Putting Stick® looks deceptively simple: a 46” long, 1” wide green stick with a mirror & stand assembly on one end. The object?  Putt the ball so it stays on the stick for all 46 inches.

2014-11-29 13.58.13.jpg

Easier said than done.

So It's A Stick, Right?

Green reading aside, putting is mostly about alignment, a square face at impact and speed. Miss any one and the ball ain't hitting the hole.

The Putting Stick® force feeds you proper putting alignment, a square face at impact and an accelerating stroke.  Miss any one and the ball ain't staying on the track.

Should be easy, right?

Heh, heh.

My first few tries with the Putting Stick® careened off the track like a Nascar pileup: complete failure. My inner monolog was all “What the hell good is this thing?”

Then I read the instructions.

For proper alignment, place a ball at one end of the stick (there's a dimple) and take your normal putting stance.  Then look at the mirror on the other end. If properly aligned – eyes over the ball, standing square to the target -  the ball will be perfectly lined up with a stripe etched down the center of the mirror. 

2014-11-19 21.33.32.jpg 2014-11-19 21.34.01.jpg

Just a little off and the ball will appear either left or right of the line, and there's no way on Earth the ball will roll down the track.

Once properly aligned, you'll need to putt with a square face at impact and an accelerating stroke.  If you're decelerating or if the face is off-kilter, there's no way on Earth the ball will roll down the track. 

“The Putting Stick® gives you immediate feedback,” says TPK Golf owner Vlad Gribovsky. “Are you lined up properly? You know right away.  Is your stroke accelerating? Is the putter face square at impact? You know right away.”

Setup: Pain or Bliss?

Depending on which Putting Stick® you use, setup is either Very Simple or Caveman Simple. 

2014-12-02 10.09.16.jpg 

The mirrored version features a 3-piece mirror assembly (white plastic base, mirror bracket and mirror) that takes roughly a minute to put together.  The green stick slides into the white base easily.  Put it on the floor and you're good to go in about 2 minutes, if you dawdle.

2014-12-02 10.09.48.jpg 2014-12-02 10.10.28.jpg 2014-12-02 10.11.18.jpg

Bliss!

The Pro-Version is even easier.  It's just the stick itself with a small mirror built in to the putting surface to help alignment.  Lay it on the floor and go. The Pro-Version also fits nicely in your golf bag for use at the practice green.

The full-mirrored version has instructions on the box and an instructional DVD.  The Pro-Version instructions are on a flash drive.

“Let It Roll, Baby, Roll…”

I set up the mirrored Putting Stick® in my family room on a putting mat and started rolling.  My first attempts were miserable - my “natural” putting stance had me all kattywompus, so much so that it felt downright unnatural to stand with the ball lined up with the mirror.

2014-12-02 10.11.35.jpg

“Most golfers think they set up with their eyes over the ball, but they don't,” Vlad told me.  “The mirror gives you that immediate feedback.”

Roger that!

Once aligned, the next trick is to square the putter face at impact with an accelerating stroke.  A moveable rubber plug at one end of the Stick serves as a backswing guide that can be adjusted for the length of putt you're practicing and for different green speeds. 

2014-11-29 13.58.34.jpg 2014-11-29 13.58.41.jpg

Again, if you're the slightest bit misaligned, if you decelerate or if the putter face isn't square at impact, the ball won't make it down the track.  And because you're trying so hard, it takes a while to develop what could be considered a “natural” feeling stroke.  You're paying attention to every little muscle movement, resulting in clunky and mechanical strokes. 

My first session was frustrating – I couldn't get 1 ball out of 10 down the track.  But with more practice I discovered a few things.

As mentioned, the first five minutes were spent wrestling with my out-of-alignment natural setup.  With practice I found the proper setup becoming more natural and automatic, which led to a few balls rolling the length of the Stick.

Next, I started feeling a smooth, square, accelerating stroke, leading to a few more balls rolling the length of the Stick. It was a subtle, but definite transition from conscious incompetence to conscious competence.

Yeah, But Does It Work????

Several sessions with the Pro-Version at the Minnesota Golf Academy indoor putting green provide a definitive YES!

At each session my goal was simple: get 5 in a row down the Stick. After clunky starts, proper alignment - eyes over the ball - started getting easier. Soon the putter head squared up and I had a nice, accelerating stroke. And then...

BAM! 5 in a row down the Stick.

Next step: move the Stick and putt normally.

BAM! Nailed 10 of 10 from 5 feet

Big deal? Maybe not, but the stroke felt natural and automatic.  Line up, square up, putt. Wash, rinse and repeat.

At 10 feet I nailed  8 of 10, then 6 of 10 from 15 feet.  Of the 6 misses, 2 or 3 were slightly off line.  The rest were just short. Not bad for indoors, but the real test comes in January in Florida. 

Bona Fides:

The poster child for the Putting Stick® is PGA pro Bo Van Pelt.  Back in 2011, Van Pelt was working with teaching pro Mitch Crum.  Bo ranked 144th in putting stats that year, and Crum put him to work with an early Putting Stick Pro prototype.

According to Crum, Van Pelt couldn't roll even one ball down the Stick, and was ready to quit.  He kept at it, eventually improving his stroke. A year later Van Pelt ranked as high as #3 in putting statistics.  Crum says Van Pelt still uses the Stick today, sending 50 in a row down the rail before teeing off. 

Should You Buy It?:

Cold, hard cash for the Putting Stick®? I'd say YES!  It provides a real benefit for improving alignment and stroke.

PS11.jpg

If you have alignment issues or struggle finding a consistent, repeatable stroke, the Putting Stick® can certainly help you. Ten minutes a day forces proper alignment and gets your eyes over the ball. And the challenge of getting that damn ball down the length of the stick will keep you motivated all winter long.

The Putting Stick® won't teach you to read greens, but it will help you hit the ball on the line you do choose, and at the speed you want. 

ps22.jpg

You can buy the Putting Stick® at tpkgolf.com

The mirrored version is $79.95, the Pro-Version (with a built-in mirror) is $69.95. 

BIG NEWS!!!  We have 3, count 'em, THREE Putting Sticks to give away to luck forum members this week (1 mirrored version and 2 Pro-Versions).  

We're going to have some fun with this one!!!

CLICK HERE TO ENTER!!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

If the surface the stick is on isn't level, how will the ball stay on the stick anyway?

Good question - there's a bubble-level on the stick to help level it out.  It's remarkably easy to keep it level, even on carpet...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

One thing to add - this appears to be the kind of training aid with staying power.  The more you use it, the more grooved your stroke gets, but as we all know with putting, you may "have" it for a while, but you never really get to "keep" it...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

One thing to add - this appears to be the kind of training aid with staying power.  The more you use it, the more grooved your stroke gets, but as we all know with putting, you may "have" it for a while, but you never really get to "keep" it...

I find that true for every aspect of the game...lol.

Worked with the Pro-Version again today, after a few days off - this time with a different putter.  Amazing how quickly you can lose it and then how hard you have to work to get it back.  That's the thing with the Putting Stick -- you have to WORK at it.  It's NOT easy -- but after about 10 minutes or so I could get 3 or 4 out of 5 to go down the stick, and that translated into better putting from 5, 10 and 15 feet. 

It's a great training aid, but it makes you earn it.  It's not a quick fix but rather something you'll use all the time.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

You know there are unlimited possibilities with that thing especially with you guys in the frozen north. You could have little dollar matches with your buddies with that thing and then try it after 2 or more adult beverages. But the more you play those little games with it (sober) it may help you improve

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

You know there are unlimited possibilities with that thing especially with you guys in the frozen north. You could have little dollar matches with your buddies with that thing and then try it after 2 or more adult beverages. But the more you play those little games with it (sober) it may help you improve

My thoughts exactly.  I can see my bro-in-law and I trading dollars back and forth all night with this thing.  And yes adult beverages would be involved.

Or course I would need to practice with it for a week or two before I tell him I have it :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

LOL hcky spoken like a true hustler practice with it a couple of weeks before you present the game exactly what I would do  :)

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

LOL hcky spoken like a true hustler practice with it a couple of weeks before you present the game exactly what I would do :)

Haha! And have it all packed up in the box like it just came in the mail. Read the instructions like it's the first time.

One more day to enter our Putting Stick Giveaway -- check out the review above and click the link at the end to enter.  We have 3 Putting Sticks to give away - so enter for your chance to win this unique and very effective putting aid!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Good answer Blade heck play it to the hilt act like you just got it for a present with the line "what the heck is this thing and how does it work?" Priceless! :)

G

Nicely done Barb.......coulda used some practice on it before today's round.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely done Barb.......coulda used some practice on it before today's round.

Will be getting your stick out today Foz -- you'll be a killer on the green!  Just remember it's not easy - it's not supposed to be.  Getting that ball down the stick takes a LOT of practice and will feel really, really weird at first.  Tell you what, getting 3 or 4 in a row down the line makes you feel a mile high!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Will be getting your stick out today Foz -- you'll be a killer on the green!  Just remember it's not easy - it's not supposed to be.  Getting that ball down the stick takes a LOT of practice and will feel really, really weird at first.  Tell you what, getting 3 or 4 in a row down the line makes you feel a mile high!

The way I've been putting lately, I will def take my time learning the Putting Stick.....no where to go but up......and in!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Stick today......

I had to try it out before watching the instructional video......not bad, but do wish it had an automatic ball return...LOL

I'll be interested in hearing the more about the results of those using this.  I won't be purchasing it myself, since I got a Puttist a couple of years ago http://www.mygolfspy.com/puttist-training-aid-review/but the Putting Stick is much less expensive.  If anyone has used both of these training aids, I'd like to know how they stack up in comparison.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• 2 weeks later...

May I know if anyone who's using this has any good feedback?

I'm thinking of getting one to try.

The shipping to Singapore is pretty high though so I thought I would like to hear any other user comments.

Thank you.

Irons: Miura PP9003 KBS Tour 90 R 5-P

Wedges: Miura New Wedge Series 51 Deg, Cobra Tour Trusty 56 Deg

Driver: Bridgestone JGR 10.5 with Tour AD J16-11W Reg stock JDM

3 Wood: Bridgestone JGR 3W with Tour AD J16-11W Stiff Reg stock JDM

Hybrid: Bridgestone JGR 4H with Tour AD J16-11W Reg stock JDM

Putter: Ping Sigma G Kinloch C 

Right handed, lives in Singapore

Playing in the mid 90s and trying my best to break 90 consistently.

I will try to set up some sort of ball return, as soon as I get all the Christmas decorations out of the way....

• 2 weeks later...

Glad, I seen this.  Anyone know how this compares to the putting alley, and the putting fork?  Seems similar to the putting alley, but with a mirror to help.  Was thinking of picking one of them up.

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

I like it....just wish it had a ball return.

Archived