Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Why Such a Hogan Fan?

GolfSpy Barbajo

Was talking with my teen-aged boy the other day - he was wondering why I was reading Curt Sampson's Hogan biography for about the 5th time, and why I was such a Hogan fan. 

Had him turn to page 261 and read the following:

"About halfway through his funeral oration, Dr. Charles Sanders looked up from his text and asked, 'How is it that this shy, determined man around the admiration of so many? I think the key lies in a passage of Scripture found in the 5th Chapter of the Book of Romans - Suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint. 

'That is why we have been so drawn to Ben Hogan. In him we see hope for ourselves. He never stopped battling against overwhelming odds, and his magnificent achievements signal the possibility that we can be victorious in the struggles we face."

Hope he got the message....

For you Hogan fans out there -- the question is "why?"  Is it the equipment? Is it the 'mystique?'  Is it 5 Lessons?  

And where does he sit on the pantheon of the game's greats?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I think that passage probably says it all, particularly after his accident, it's likely no one has struggled harder to play at the level he did.  

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I'm going to hang that passage in my tool cabinet at work so I can read it every day. I'm still dealing with "issues" from the last two years, and this will help when I start the pity party for myself every other month or so. Thanks for posting that.

Kinda gives new meaning to "digging it out of the dirt," doesn't it?  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I always admired Mr Hogan for his shear guts or intestional fortitude as we used to call it. He never gave up and as far as his club designs and club building he was a perfectionist. He basically was self taught on his swing according to everything I have read about him and IMHO he perfected that swing

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I've read Five Lessons as well as a few other books about him. I've always admired the work ethic and determination that he had and it's what I use to motivate myself to try to keep getting better. I've always been fond of his quote "You simply beat balls until your hands bleed and your back aches, and then you beat more balls".

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Archived