Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

V-Steel Users UNITE

slanger

SURE, it's years old, but we still use it. WHY? BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST PERFORMING, BEST PRICED FAIRWAY WOOD EVER! I hit this club like its my job. Its beautiful off the tee, fairway, rough, you name it.

WHO ELSE IS WITH ME!?

SURE, it's years old, but we still use it. WHY? BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST PERFORMING, BEST PRICED FAIRWAY WOOD EVER! I hit this club like its my job. Its beautiful off the tee, fairway, rough, you name it.

WHO ELSE IS WITH ME!?

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I'm just curious how you and others feel the V Steel compares to something like the 200 Steel

Well I have to agree it's one of the better 3 woods ever made. I haven't used one in a few years but it's definitely in the top 10 of all time 3 woods IMO. I personally play a TM 3 wood now but it's an HFS tour Only model that is very very nice.Easy to hit off the deck and really explodes off the face.

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I use the 15 degree 3 wood and the ball does explode off the face. I was a dealer until 3 years ago and I never saw another 3 wood that was as good. I reshafted it several times and found better shafts than the original TM shaft, but the one I still use is the Aldila ONE shaft. It works in this head for me.

Thanks for bring up the older and better performing equipment.

I have a 3w(with Pro launch blue) and 5w(stock S) and both are awesome. The ball flight penetrates and jumps off the clubface. The club itself is smaller than the current TM burner woods, but much easier to hit. Thanks for bringing up the greatest fairway woods ever!!!

The stock shaft is pretty bad but the clubhead is beautiful. Stripped the paint off the crown of mine, now it just needs a reshaft.

Titleist 909D2 | Taylormade r7 Ti | Titleist 909 H 19* | Mizuno MX-300 4-GW - Nippon 1050GH | Vokey SM 56*, 60* | Odyssey Black Series i #9 - UST Frequency Filtered |

SWEET TOPIC!

I'm still playing mine, stock shaft and all. I picked one up new...3 years ago I think. Since then it's been in and out of the bag, but I've never sold it. Sold lots of Tour Adams (4060, 5050, 3070) with lots of fancy shafts (Fujis, Diamanas), but I've just never found anything that was flat better than the VSteel. Plenty of things were as good (many of the Adams were really good), but nothing was better. This past fall I tried to replace it with the new stuff, R9, Tour Edge, etc. Went to 3 demo days and a couple ranges that are well stocked with demos...nada. I don't think I'll even try to replace it for another season or two.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I don't game one anymore but it really was one of the all time great fairway woods. Right up there with the Ping TISI Tec and TEE CB2.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• 4 years later...

Thought I like to revive this rather old thread.

Just bought one (used) off eBay cheap - $46... and very excited about it. Something about it's a very simple,  utilitarian design really attracts me. The newer generations of fairway wood - like my RBZ is too "over designed" in my opinion, and in all likelihood does not perform better than the older ones.

Like all stock shafts in TM clubs of old, it's might not be as good as we all like, so I'm going in with rather tempered expectations. Well the money I saved could be put into getting a better shaft for my new (old) fairway wood. If this experiment turns out good, think I'm gonna be hooked on buying old clubs and giving them a new lease of life!

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

I'm glad you brought this back up.  I've been looking for a club to fill a void in my bag and I asked my cousin if he had a 5w I could borrow.  The only one he had was an old V-Steel and he has it in the bag.  He is a NCAA D1 player that switches clubs more than anyone I know, yet always goes back to the V-Steel.  That should tell you something.

Nice pick up.

I always wanted a decent condition v steel 3 wood, but I wanted it with a steel shaft. Tried one years ago and the control was brilliant - cracking low stingers.

Getting rare to find one that's not battered now.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I always wanted a decent condition v steel 3 wood, but I wanted it with a steel shaft. Tried one years ago and the control was brilliant - cracking low stingers.

Getting rare to find one that's not battered now.

Nothing says player more than a battered 3 wood :)

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

I'm glad you brought this back up.  I've been looking for a club to fill a void in my bag and I asked my cousin if he had a 5w I could borrow.  The only one he had was an old V-Steel and he has it in the bag.  He is a NCAA D1 player that switches clubs more than anyone I know, yet always goes back to the V-Steel.  That should tell you something.

Nice pick up.

With so much fanfare about adjustability being the buzzword in golf equipment nowadays, there are still people who appreciates a simple club that just gets the job done reliably.

Frankly my SLDR remains one of the most unreliable club in my bag after a few months.

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Archived