Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The Secret of 300 Yard Drives and Scratch Golf

Phana24JG

I am now entering my seventh year of play. I progressed on a reasonable path from 142 (my opening day spectacular) to about a five handicap. I had been taking lessons from a local range pro and was pleased with my progress Two years ago, I realized that I had gone about as far with this guy as I could, so I went on a search for a more advanced teacher. Via word of mouth of local media, I tried the local "name" and "elite" instructors. I spent most of last year in golf hell courtesy of a couple of method teachers who managed to turn my game into a complete mess. A pricey golf school was next. My main accomplishment at this place was adding four pounds in four days.

At this time, I then began to seek information on the Internet. I was primarily looking for instruction, but also uncovered several interesting forums, where I finally uncovered the secret to the game of golf. If you really want to break 80, and then enter the world of 300 yard drives and eventually become a scratch golfer I am about to reveal THE secret:

1) Quit Taking Lessons

2) Hold Off on ANY New Equipment Purchases

3) Discontinue Your Participation in MGS and Other Similar Forums

4) Join Golf WRX

and here is key

5) START POSTING!!

That is it! Within your first 75-100 posts, you will be breaking 80 on a regular basis. Somewhere around post 250, your driving average will rise above 260 yards and the first 300 yeard drive appears. Now, this is where you separate the men from the boys. As you learn the appropriate verbage and acquire the haughty condescension necessary to continue to successfully post, it appears that in the post 750 to 1000 range, you make that transition to scratch/near scratch, and routinely drive the ball 300 yards.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! Along the way, you will somehow acquire a job that permits you to spend thousands of dollars on esoteric Japanese equipment. Instead of being some loser like me, concerned about spending $500 for a new driver, you can now spend that much just for a shaft and change them out on a regular basis as the tempo of your now 120mph swing speed varies. Apparently, this new job will not require you to spend very much time actually working because your number of posts goes up, and you are playing golf almost every day.

Unfortunately, not everone can achieve the 120-125 mph swings with this simple technique. Since rigorous honesty is a sine qua non for being a Golf WRX insider, you may have to settle for that 108-114 mph swing. However, with some additional posting in the short game and wedge sections, you can now achieve a mini-tour caliber short game with a few hundred posts in those sections, and score just as well as the "average" WRX golfer.

I'm on WRX too and man ... you have a point ... :)

There is undeniably very good content there, but some people can loose any form of realism real quick.

But that might not only be a WRX thing, but a general internet forum thing !

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

• 2 months later...

There are many things to love about MGS, but my favorite is probably the general lack of BS about handicaps, SS's, and other things. People on here seem pretty honest about their game, their problems, and, thus, there is great content that is actually helpful instead of a million posts saying, "I hit this too far/too high/too far left."

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 2 years later...

There are many things to love about MGS, but my favorite is probably the general lack of BS about handicaps, SS's, and other things. People on here seem pretty honest about their game, their problems, and, thus, there is great content that is actually helpful instead of a million posts saying, "I hit this too far/too high/too far left."

MGS is the only golf forum I've registered on, for this very reason. :D

So that's the secret!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I was bumming around youtubing "in the bag" videos and go figure, there are billions of high school kids talking about how they needed to upgrade to the project x 7.5s because everything else felt like wet noodles in their 130 mph swings... Not to mention, how on EARTH did they afford that $80 billion dollar setup with their allowance!?

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

This is funny because MGS is the only golf forum I post on for many of these very reasons.

I'm not here because I want you to think I'm a good golfer, I'm not. I love to play, and around here, that really is the only prerequisite.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

That was funny and true. That other forum has it's uses, but, I love the honesty, openness, and friendly helpful nature of everyone here. I can't even remember my log in and password for wrx anymore. By the way I really am a 1 handicap but I only drive it about 265 on a good shot and hit a 7 iron about 160 when I swing hard. My driver swing speed is around 105 on a good day. Thank God for a good short game. They can worry about how far they hit it. I just wanna get the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes. :lol:

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Goodbye MGS Goodbye!

:lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I'm sure there are good people over there. Wading through the crap was just too much for me though. MGS is my "home".

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I always tell my son among the biggest tragedies in life, is self delusion - so stop kidding yourself. I like this forum because it consist of real people, not "average" golfers who hits the ball 320 yards with a slight draw.

We all have our struggles with the golf game and life, but we are united by our common love for the game, and of course, the joys of shiny new golf equipments :D

Its the internet and you can be whatever you want, but here in MGS I can be myself without shame, that's what I like.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

• 1 month later...

if that is the case you would be hitting 350 yards if you visited Tourspec golfs forum. Some of those guys are so jaded it's unreal. This is my home....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• 10 months later...

Great post, Phana24G- on the mark...There's occasionally some good stuff over there but so much of the review talk is limited to the big boys and much of it sounds like marketing department b.s..

The forum over there is exactly what you describe...I'll leave it at that. I don't mind listening to guys describing their career drive as their driving distance...My best and my average are about 50 yards apart...and as much as I'd like a pretty draw, after 45 years, I typically have a slight fade. I spend too much time doing horticulture in the woods and ruining great fairway shots with 2 and 3 putts...Which is why it's fun to be here...Almost a like private club vs a high end muni...who's members would YOU rather hang with?

As long as we're baring our golf souls, I buy too much equipment. I KNOW my money would be better spent on lessons but a new club, set of irons, ball etc gives me something new to look forward to on the weekend. There...I'm cleansed.

• 4 weeks later...

I am now entering my seventh year of play. I progressed on a reasonable path from 142 (my opening day spectacular) to about a five handicap. I had been taking lessons from a local range pro and was pleased with my progress Two years ago, I realized that I had gone about as far with this guy as I could, so I went on a search for a more advanced teacher. Via word of mouth of local media, I tried the local "name" and "elite" instructors. I spent most of last year in golf hell courtesy of a couple of method teachers who managed to turn my game into a complete mess. A pricey golf school was next. My main accomplishment at this place was adding four pounds in four days.

At this time, I then began to seek information on the Internet. I was primarily looking for instruction, but also uncovered several interesting forums, where I finally uncovered the secret to the game of golf. If you really want to break 80, and then enter the world of 300 yard drives and eventually become a scratch golfer I am about to reveal THE secret:

1) Quit Taking Lessons

2) Hold Off on ANY New Equipment Purchases

3) Discontinue Your Participation in MGS and Other Similar Forums

4) Join Golf WRX

and here is key

5) START POSTING!!

That is it! Within your first 75-100 posts, you will be breaking 80 on a regular basis. Somewhere around post 250, your driving average will rise above 260 yards and the first 300 yeard drive appears. Now, this is where you separate the men from the boys. As you learn the appropriate verbage and acquire the haughty condescension necessary to continue to successfully post, it appears that in the post 750 to 1000 range, you make that transition to scratch/near scratch, and routinely drive the ball 300 yards.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! Along the way, you will somehow acquire a job that permits you to spend thousands of dollars on esoteric Japanese equipment. Instead of being some loser like me, concerned about spending $500 for a new driver, you can now spend that much just for a shaft and change them out on a regular basis as the tempo of your now 120mph swing speed varies. Apparently, this new job will not require you to spend very much time actually working because your number of posts goes up, and you are playing golf almost every day.

Unfortunately, not everone can achieve the 120-125 mph swings with this simple technique. Since rigorous honesty is a sine qua non for being a Golf WRX insider, you may have to settle for that 108-114 mph swing. However, with some additional posting in the short game and wedge sections, you can now achieve a mini-tour caliber short game with a few hundred posts in those sections, and score just as well as the "average" WRX golfer.

LOL. That is golden!

Archived