TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylormade/Adidas to open a slew of outlet mall stores?

markb

Has anyone else heard this new rumor?   Post details if you've got 'em!

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I have not heard that, but back in the day I used to stock up on the Nike Tour Accuracy ball at the Nashville Nike outlet.  You could still get them there for a couple years after they left the shelves in golf stores and they were dirt cheap.  At one time, i had about 20 dozen in my garage. LOL  I think this would be a good thing.

• SPY VIP

Adidas already has outlet stores. Adding TM gear to them seems natural. Perhaps they could rebrand a bit to show consumers that the gear is there.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I guess you can only Dump so much into the Dick's sporting Goods stores.....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• SPY VIP

The proverbial SOMETHING is happening. Not sure of the details yet. I'm going to chat with Team TaylorMade at some point in the near future. If it sounds interesting, there might be a story in it.

Does this type of thing interest you guys?

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Well, it sure as heck interests me!  

When I sniff out stuff that may fundamentally change the wholesale-retail model in our dying game, I'm all ears.   TMag has to move that product somehow and if they can't stuff it into other big box stores, they'll have to sell it themselves.   I don't know if it will work, but all we have today are retail channels that DON'T seem to work, so they might as well try it and see if it helps them move all those old Jetspeed take-back clubs etc.   They'll probably make more money doing that than dumping them to GlobalGolf and 3Balls for pennies on the dollar.

I would think manufacturers in any business would love to control how their products are sold at retail.  There are lots of benefits (you control the message and the pricing), but you'd also have to add personnel to sell the stuff, you wind up shipping stuff to multiple locations instead of say main Big box distribution center, you carry the warehouse and inventory costs instead of the Big Box, etc.  Your stores would have to be larger than the typical outlet type stores that just sell soft goods, too. 

In addition, you directly have to handle individual returns, bad credit expense, etc, rather than, say, Dick's.  So this type of model probably wouldn't lead to lower prices.  

That idea of "cutting out the middle man" doesn't necessarily apply.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I mentioned how golf retail would change to this model of direct selling because it does not add much cost, players generally don't buy in pro shops/stores anymore, the one brand mentality is more prevalent because now brands carry a model for everyone, as long as you train the salesperson in the golf section well golfers will not complain. Of course a ton of people disagreed with me. Branding/lifestyle is the next avenue for golf to survive and thrive. TMaG and Nike have an advantage. Non golfers will walk into a Nike store see the nice shoes and shirts, figure what the heck I'll give it a shot. There's always ebay to sell the clubs after if it doesn't work out.

Those additional costs are already absorbed in pricing. The current system has the retailer plugged in for his own profit and cost already anyway. That "margin" just now goes to the OEM retailer to cover their costs. I don't know it works in the US but here not all Nike stores are owned by Nike. There a quite a few that are franchises.

It would interest me and certainly you could see it happening.  BTW I just received an email from Adams golf about the new Adams Golf - I think the website says it all - very simple, easy to you and clearly designed for the non-tech savy.  I'm right in the cross hairs of their target group.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Agree with trying to keep them separate. I struggle to think that an 18 year old kid is going to give me the professional input on a new set of irons. He can however tell me what "kicks" I should be wearing. Poor business models will take a top performing company to it knees in a hurry leaving them asking what went wrong.

Titleist AP1 irons

Titleist 913D 7.5 Degree, Stiff Speeder Tour Spec 6.2 Shaft

Wedges: Taylormade 60 d Titleist Vokey 54,56,58

Seemore Mallet Putter

Right Handed

Apple Valley, MN

8 Handicap

10885218_10205856139265562_6140026354236

Agree with trying to keep them separate. I struggle to think that an 18 year old kid is going to give me the professional input on a new set of irons. He can however tell me what "kicks" I should be wearing. Poor business models will take a top performing company to it knees in a hurry leaving them asking what went wrong.

What is preventing them from hiring 2 "golf sales" only people to man the golf department? Golf has to become a lifestyle sport otherwise it will not grow.

Golf shirts and shoes becoming mainstream or being usable off the course has been a huge step for the soft goods portion. Every golfer I know, even the upwards of 50 year old crowd has at least one pair of golf street shoes. I see a lot more golf shirts when I'm out compared to 6-7 years ago.

I'm not even actually emphasizing growth. I'm just talking keeping people in the game and having that translate into actual sales. Those $65 golf shirt and $100 shoe sales will keep companies like Nike and Adidas making money to make staying big in golf worth it.

Most of my golf clubs are Callaway and Tourstage (and Bettinardi). But I don't have a single pair of Callaway shoes, only 1 Callaway shirt, 0 for both in Tourstage/Bridgestone. I do have 2 Bettinardi shirts.

Yet I have 12-14 Nike golf shirts and 3 pairs of Nike golf shoes. 8-10 Adidas golf shirts and 1 pair Adidas shoes.

I do have 3 pairs of FootJoy Contour Casuals (non lifestyle brand) only because I won them in raffles or were a tournament giveaway.

Going that route may actually be good for the smaller independent shops. Most of the lifestyle buyers will just be there in the Nike/TMaG outlet for the bling sale/purchase. They probably play 6xs a year anyway.

The true golfers from here and wrx will go get their fitting, reshafts (not available as upcharge), loft and lie checks at the smaller mom and pops that have been shut down by these golf superstores that half of which  (if you read a lot of posts) are manned by clueless sales people as well.

All of this is a guess on my part but for me it makes more sense from a sales/marketing perspective than continuing to have Superstores with brands competing against each other. Every OEM has models to match their competition anyway. It comes down to brand choice.

• 1 month later...

I noticed one coming soon (may be done by now) at the Folsom, CA outlet mall.

I'm really interested in a boots on turf report of this Folsom store, should you ever get a chance to visit it.   I have an Adidas outlet store near me and while they carry Adidas golf shirts and shoes, the do not carry any Taylormade stuff.   The store manager told me that their store will NOT be getting any of the TMag golf stuff, indicating that some will be, but not the Utah store.

The outlet idea is intriguing. I agree with a lot of the previous comments.  It would be "outdated" clubs.  Interesting idea, hope something comes of it.

Driver:         Taylormade SIM 8^  Shaft: Evolution III 6X

3 Wood:      Titleist  TSi3 13.5^   Shaft:  Project X Smoke Black RDX 6.5

2 Hybrid:     Callaway Mavrik Pro  Shaft: Project X EvenFlow Black 85X

3/5 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2            Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 85X

Irons:           Taylormade P790      Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S (6-PW)

50 Degree: Taylormade P770       Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S

55/60:        Cleveland RTX Zipcore    Shaft: DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter:        Bettinardi MK Armlock

if TM (or any mfgr for that matter) really believes that "knowledge overcomes distance"  (TM tagline of 2015 PGA Merch Show),   They will invest heavily in every small golf club in the US and build the businesses of their true customers; the local Proshops!   No need to hire any specialized salesmen, or rent any retail space... 

I love the idea but my area is about 20 years behind the times on things of this nature.  It will be a drive for me to visit one.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

They made it official today.  The first one will open in Myrtle Beach and the second in Livermore, CA, with more to follow.    You heard it here first folks, way back in December.

Archived