TESTERS WANTED! ×

Pelz - Lefty to oust Tiger

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12176_6125136,00.html

Legendary golf coach Dave Pelz feels Phil Mickelson is at least Tiger Woods' equal in every part of the game and believes he can replace his great rival as the world number one this year.

Mickelson claimed the fourth major crown of his career with victory at The Masters earlier this month when Woods, playing his first tournament since returning after his well-publicised off-course problems, had to settle for a tie of fourth.

All four of those victories have come since the 39-year-old started working with putting guru Pelz in January 2004 and the coach now believes Mickelson is ready to usurp Woods' crown.

"Potentially he (Tiger) is the best player in the world - and has been for a while, but I wouldn't say he is that player right now just because of his lay-off," stated Pelz.

"In my view - this is probably biased - Phil probably has gained in skill level off the tee. He's been a great short-game player for a while and I think he's even improved that in the last couple of years.

"I definitely think he has a better short game than Tiger. I would say Phil is his equal or better in every aspect. I think Phil is a great putter and I would not trade any parts of his game for Tiger's.

"He's becoming a better player every year. I think right now he has the best game I've ever seen him have.

"In order to win majors I believe he just has to play near the top of his game."

Recent wins over Woods at the Tour Championship, HSBC Champions and Augusta have allowed Mickelson to close in on his rival's world number one ranking.

He could even overtake him as early as the Players Championship next weekend, although Mickelson would have to claim a first and a second at Sawgrass and this week's event at Quail Hollow.

"I think Phil is one of the greatest players who has played the game in a long time," Pelz continued.

"I think he will challenge and hopefully ascend to the number one spot this year. I hope Tiger plays his very best. That's what I would like to see and have Phil beat him when he's playing his best. That would be a real thrill for the game.

"I would think Phil has a great, great chance of (coming out on top). I think he's capable of being the best."

"I don't know what Tiger's mental state is. The mental part of the game is a tremendously important aspect.

"Phil doesn't have to change anything in his life. On the other hand Tiger is facing trying to change his recent behaviour and I don't know how difficult that is. I've never tried to do it myself."

#TruthDigest

As I've always said Phil might be the most classy guy on tour. Yeah its terrible what Tiger is going through but after all the years of hard work and dedication from Phil he deserves everything thats coming to him. GO PHIL!!

Fairways and Greens

Phil is on right now so it is his to grab. Could be sometime before Tiger gets close to having his normal game.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

Phil's short game is good and all, I'm not doubting that, but he flubs (well, a Tour level flub) more clips than almost every other pro. He is either really good or really bad. I would say Tiger is just about as good, maybe not the significant gap that Pelz is maintaining. And I've always wanted to say this: if Pelz is such a great short game coach, why did Phil need Dave Stockton?

Pelz makes me laugh. Wasn't he saying this same thing around the US Open in 2008? I respect the guy a ton for bringing scientific research into golf and I like his books, but he LOVES to hear himself talk and to see his name in print.

As for the point that he's making, it's all up to Tiger. If Tiger continues to MC, then yeah, Phil is playing well enough to take over #1. If Tiger gets back to form soon, then he should be fine.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

if tiger or phil is at there peak i would take mickelson everytime what yall think ?

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

Agreed, a 100% Tiger beats a 100% Phil any, and every day. Sorry Phil, I like you, Tiger is just another level of player. But for now, Phil could claim the spot.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Tiger at his best is miles ahead of everyone, Phil included.

That was true at one time but who really knows what Tiger's best is anymore?

I can't stand the arrogant little punk but I think he will return to form sooner than a lot of people think but may never approach what he once was.

Phil has always been streaky and I expect he always will be. Golf isn't the most important thing in his life.

Semper Fi

My Club

I don't think Tiger's best is any different now than it ever was. His physical capabilities haven't changed (no injuries or the like, to my knowledge), so it's simply a matter of him getting in the practice time and refocusing the mental game.

Phil is streaky. When he's hot, he's very hot and seems pretty much unbeatable. Other days, he does a very fine job of beating himself.

As for "golf isn't the most important thing in his life," I'm not sure what that means. I'm certainly not trying to start with you, Bob, but I've heard this from lots of people/Phil supporters. To me, this sounds like a nice way of saying, "He'll never live up to his talent/potential" which, to my mind, is not a good thing or a reason to be a fan. I hear a lot of people say, "He hasn't fully developed his skills" about LeBron, and it's never a good thing, it's a huge knock. If I'm missing something about that statement/sentiment, someone please fill me in.

I don't think Tiger's best is any different now than it ever was. His physical capabilities haven't changed (no injuries or the like, to my knowledge), so it's simply a matter of him getting in the practice time and refocusing the mental game.

Matt - Tiger has had a number of knee surgeries. He says it doesn't impact him and he's near 100%, but Tiger has never been forthright when it comes to his own personal business so I'm not sure I believe that.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Tiger at his best is miles ahead of everyone, Phil included.

Sorry, no. That was true at one time, but not anymore. Phil is now longer off the tee and I'd say he has better recovery skills around the green. Tiger has better recovery skills from off the fairway (although as we saw at the Masters and at Quail Hollow this weekend, Phil is no slouch in that area also). Tiger historically is the better putter although this year is the best I've ever seen Phil putt. If he keeps it up, then I'd say Phil is Tiger's equal in that respect also. What used to really separate Phil and Tiger is the mental game, but Tiger is a mess in that area right now and Phil seems to have loads of confidence and he's making right decisions for the most part.

I'd like to see Tiger rebound, because I think it would be good for golf but right now I think you'd be more accurate if you said "Phil at his best is miles ahead of everyone, Tiger included."

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Phil's short game is good and all, I'm not doubting that, but he flubs (well, a Tour level flub) more clips than almost every other pro. He is either really good or really bad. I would say Tiger is just about as good, maybe not the significant gap that Pelz is maintaining. And I've always wanted to say this: if Pelz is such a great short game coach, why did Phil need Dave Stockton?

I think he only uses Dave Stockton for putting while Pelz works with him on the short game stuff with of course Butch doing the long ball part of his game. Not sure I would want three coach's, but I'm not about to question what works for him.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

Sorry, no. That was true at one time, but not anymore. Phil is now longer off the tee and I'd say he has better recovery skills around the green. Tiger has better recovery skills from off the fairway (although as we saw at the Masters and at Quail Hollow this weekend, Phil is no slouch in that area also). Tiger historically is the better putter although this year is the best I've ever seen Phil putt. If he keeps it up, then I'd say Phil is Tiger's equal in that respect also. What used to really separate Phil and Tiger is the mental game, but Tiger is a mess in that area right now and Phil seems to have loads of confidence and he's making right decisions for the most part.

I'd like to see Tiger rebound, because I think it would be good for golf but right now I think you'd be more accurate if you said "Phil at his best is miles ahead of everyone, Tiger included."

I think you're missing the point of what I said. "Tiger at his best is miles ahead of everyone." I stand by that 100%. Right now, much as it pains me, I agree that Phil is playing better than everyone else. Phil right now versus Tiger at whatever point in his career/tournament you'd like to call his peak? Not a contest, IMO.

Regarding the knee surgery, he seemed to come back pretty effectively from it last season. Is it the same as it used to be? Maybe not, but it didn't stop him from winning the FedEx, Player of the Year (IIRC), etc. You could certainly cite the PGA as evidence that it does hurt him, but I think him losing at a major isn't evidence of anything, it was simply inevitable - no one's perfect. People cite Jack's umpteen second places as evidence of greatness, not failure.

Tiger at his best, now, then, the future..just at his best, sorry Phil, not even close.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I think you're missing the point of what I said. "Tiger at his best is miles ahead of everyone." I stand by that 100%. Right now, much as it pains me, I agree that Phil is playing better than everyone else. Phil right now versus Tiger at whatever point in his career/tournament you'd like to call his peak? Not a contest, IMO.

Regarding the knee surgery, he seemed to come back pretty effectively from it last season. Is it the same as it used to be? Maybe not, but it didn't stop him from winning the FedEx, Player of the Year (IIRC), etc. You could certainly cite the PGA as evidence that it does hurt him, but I think him losing at a major isn't evidence of anything, it was simply inevitable - no one's perfect. People cite Jack's umpteen second places as evidence of greatness, not failure.

I just though of something: People are calling this the best stretch of Phil's career, and they are saying that Tiger is in a terrible slump----> well, just think how ridiculously good Tiger must be if he came in 4th in the Masters in "the worst slump in his career."

Seriously, not even close. Phil at his best only finished 3 spots higher in the Masters than Tiger at his worst.

I think he only uses Dave Stockton for putting while Pelz works with him on the short game stuff with of course Butch doing the long ball part of his game. Not sure I would want three coach's, but I'm not about to question what works for him.

Yes, and before he used Stockton he used Pelz for putting also.

People always say how Phil must be so talented to win with "that" swing, well then why doesn't he have the talent to change it, or to play without 3 coaches.

I just though of something: People are calling this the best stretch of Phil's career, and they are saying that Tiger is in a terrible slump----> well, just think how ridiculously good Tiger must be if he came in 4th in the Masters in "the worst slump in his career."

Seriously, not even close. Phil at his best only finished 3 spots higher in the Masters than Tiger at his worst.

This is a great point, and I think it's often overlooked given the massive expectations that "we" have for Tiger (i.e.: he should win every time and when he doesn't it's a failure). The last couple years he's putted terribly at Augusta and been Top 5 every time (IIRC). Anyone else that goes there and putts terribly misses the cut. You could say the same about virtually any other tournament. O

Personally I'm hoping Phil and a few others will be at their best next few times any of them comes up against Tiger, and puts up a real fight. It's such an old movie seeing people fall apart when they face Tiger and nobody has really come up to take a genuine challenger's position. So far it's been spitballs against a battleship regardless of how much hype is given anybody who tries to step up to the plate.

Tiger needs an opponent who can stay the distance and nobody has been good enough to fit that bill so far. Maybe Phil has become good enough but the timing is wrong for judgement what with all the turmoil in Tiger's life. Golf gets really boring when Tiger is 6 strokes behind on day 3 and you still expect him to win.

Shambles

This is a great point, and I think it's often overlooked given the massive expectations that "we" have for Tiger (i.e.: he should win every time and when he doesn't it's a failure). The last couple years he's putted terribly at Augusta and been Top 5 every time (IIRC). Anyone else that goes there and putts terribly misses the cut. You could say the same about virtually any other tournament. O

It's amazing to me that Tiger gets credit for his top 5 finishes and Phil doesn't. Lets compare the two:

Tiger's Masters Record since 1995:

Wins: 4

Top 5 Finishes: 4

Phil's Masters Record since 1991:

Wins: 3

Top 5 Finishes: 6

Pretty close I'd say. Maybe we should have the same "massive expectations" for Phil. :D

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

It's largely a theoretical discussion because these guys haven't peaked at the same time. Both have gone on impressive runs. I think Tiger has gone on longer runs and has been more consistent over time because he obviously has more major wins to his credit. So really no contest there - I agree.

But, based on a very small sample, these guys seem to be heading in different directions right now. It seems Phil might be hitting another peak - similar to when he flirted with a grand slam of his own. Tiger is floundering a bit but who knows if that will continue.

It certainly will be interesting to watch how this plays out over the course of the season.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived