TESTERS WANTED! ×

First Impressions - Aldila Rogue shafts

markb

As mentioned in another thread, the Aldila Rogue family of shafts will likely be THE hot shaft of 2015.  That's not saying much because it already was the hottest shaft on tour for 2014 in its tour-only 125 msi (million pounds per square inch) versions that fetch prices over $500 per shaft when you can find them in the aftermarket.

For 2015 we mere mortals will be able to find slightly "watered-down" 110 and 95 msi shafts at prices that don't break the bank.   Savvy shoppers can get Rogue Blacks on ebay for about $100 to $150 and Rogue Silvers clock in between $150 and $175.   Prices should drop fast over the winter.

After doing a bit of research, I calculated that the Rogue Black was probably a better choice for me as I tend to launch low and I'm not a bomber.   The Black is the mid-spin, mid-launch sibling and the Silver is the low launch, low spin offering.   So I bought a 60 gram Stiff flex 3.5 torque uncut Black and cut it down to a 46.5 total length for my Optiforce 440.   That's a half inch long over spec for the Optiforce, but its a full 1 inch shorter than my current Fujikura Z-com 74 gram, 2.9 low torque, high launch, regular shaft.  I decided to shorten the Rogue in an effort to get some more control that I have been lacking of late.

rogue black.jpg

Once I got to the range, I was immediately reminded of how NON-STANDARD any of today's graphite shaft measurements really are.   What is "stiff" for one manufacturer may be "regular" to another and "x-stiff" to a third.   Same goes for the relative categories of "launch" and "spin", if not for torque as well.  If you want to find a shaft that fits you, you almost need to go in for an all new fitting with no preconceived notions or you'd better be prepared to do some stumbling around in your testing as you make adjustments to what you thought you were getting in launch height, spin, flex etc.

Right away I noticed that the Rogue made my Optiforce feel "heavier", as if the heavy head was swinging at the end of long rope.  It had more waggle, it felt looser.  This was exactly contrary to the way I thought it should have felt, since I'd taken an inch off the shaft and the shaft itself was ten grams lighter.   But there it was.   It took a little getting used to. 

IMO, the Black is definitely a softer flex than its S rating.  Either that or my old Fujikura Regular is much firmer than it's R rating,   Either could be true, but in no way did the Rogue too firm for my 105-108 swing speed.   In fact, it got me itching to try the X next time.

I'd also categorize the Black as a MID-HIGH or a HIGH launcher, not just a mid launcher.  It definitely launched higher than my Fujikura.   I normally play my Optiforce head in the Neutral loft (9,5) or +1 degree, Draw position.  But with the Rogue I found that it performed best in the -1 degree & Neutral, or Neutral & Standard position.   It really drew when set to Draw and it ballooned in anything over standard.

These results also convinced me that maybe the lower launching, lower spinning 110 msi S or X shafts would be an even better fit for me.  This one wasn't bad, but I think I'm still leaving something on the table.

Anyway, after one range session and one 18 hole outing on my old familar course it's still too early to tell, but I think I see a small improvement in both length and dispersion over my current gamer.   I didn't see any huge monsters, however.   I just saw a bunch of shots that were about 5 yards beyond my usual spots of late and no shots checked up worringly short.

So I'm going to take this shaft out again with eager anticipation and as soon as I can find a cheap Rogue Silver, I'll give that a whirl too and let you know what I think.  In the meantime, feel free to chime in with your impressions of any Rogue you try -- especially you guys who get on a monitor with it.  I'm not likely to do so, it's just too hard to arrange in my area.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Okay, now I'm really intrigued by the Titleist 915 with a Rogue shaft.  I played with a guy on Sunday who just switched from the 910 to the 915 and he is very pleased with the improved performance of the 915.   Like me, he had a 910 and loved it, he tried the 913 and thought it was a dud, so he stuck with his 910 until the 915 came out (as did Jordan Speith, I might add).

I just found out that you can upgrade your 915 with a 125 MSI Rogue for about $125 to $155, which you could then take out and resell on ebay for $300 to $500 separately buying a 110 Rogue for $100 to $150!   There's a nice way to subsidize your 915.

• SPY VIP

Just tossing in my 2 cents here...

Played the Rogue Silver Tour (125 MSI) in an BiO Cell Pro for the better part of the fall. Based on some very quick numbers, I'd classify it as a low-mid spin shaft (probably closer to mid) with mid-launch for me. Keep in mind, that's relative since true mid-launch shafts (the popular blueboard-like profile) tend to be a bit high and spinny for my caveman swing.

What I like about the Rogue is that it holds up exceptionally well to aggressive tempo/transition swings without being subject to what some might call a boardy feel. It's a very stable shaft, but one that doesn't force you to feel the flex.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Appreciate the update T.  It's these sorts of real world feedback things that clear away the clutter and hype of early reviews.

I played the Stiff Black 95 again today for nine holes in Neutral Standard setting (9.5 degree head) and hit everything High and pretty straight and fairly long.   I did not reach unconquered ground with anything, but everything was dependably good.   It does feel very stable.   Draws and fades aren't big curves.   It definitely is a high launcher though.   Next round I'm going to take it down to -1 loft again and see what happens.   Somewhere about -.5 degree would be about right, I think.  Now, remember, I'm NOT a high launcher normally, I'm a low launcher.

I think what we're seeing is a slight mis-perception of the true nature of the Rogue categories by we early adopters.   For a year, the Rogue Silver Tour 125 was like an unattainable magic bullet on tour.   $500+ and you couldn't get them!   So we all got to thinking that Rogue was something only the big dogs could handle.   We have categorized them in our minds as Formula 1 Ferrari's

In reality, what we have is a Rogue Black that is a very good shaft for double digit cappers with sub 95 mph SS who want to get the ball up.   It's not a Formula 1 Ferrari, it's a nice comfortable Lexus SUV.   The Silver 110's are not too much for most folks either.   They're very easy driving Mercedes S class.   I'm going to go out and get a 110 in S or X and I'll bet it's not a handful at all.

Appreciate the update T.  It's these sorts of real world feedback things that clear away the clutter and hype of early reviews.

I played the Stiff Black 95 again today for nine holes in Neutral Standard setting (9.5 degree head) and hit everything High and pretty straight and fairly long.   I did not reach unconquered ground with anything, but everything was dependably good.   It does feel very stable.   Draws and fades aren't big curves.   It definitely is a high launcher though.   Next round I'm going to take it down to -1 loft again and see what happens.   Somewhere about -.5 degree would be about right, I think.  Now, remember, I'm NOT a high launcher normally, I'm a low launcher.

I think what we're seeing is a slight mis-perception of the true nature of the Rogue categories by we early adopters.   For a year, the Rogue Silver Tour 125 was like an unattainable magic bullet on tour.   $500+ and you couldn't get them!   So we all got to thinking that Rogue was something only the big dogs could handle.   We have categorized them in our minds as Formula 1 Ferrari's

In reality, what we have is a Rogue Black that is a very good shaft for double digit cappers with sub 95 mph SS who want to get the ball up.   It's not a Formula 1 Ferrari, it's a nice comfortable Lexus SUV.   The Silver 110's are not too much for most folks either.   They're very easy driving Mercedes S class.   I'm going to go out and get a 110 in S or X and I'll bet it's not a handful at all.

+1 to this-couldn't agree more. I swung the X a few weeks ago before my coach (who's Titleist PGA Staff) left for Florida and I really liked the results. Typically I play the stiff Ahina and that is just right for me. It launches slightly high for my liking (but I live in Buffalo so even during August the course is wet)  This was in my 913 D3 for the record. Great info guys!!!

• 1 month later...

Played the Black Rogue again today for the first round of the year.   January and a bit mushy with little wind and high forties.    The Rogue impressed me today.  Higher ball flight than I'm used to, but I  hit 3 or 4 that were over 290 and most were 270 to 285.   Very straight for the most part and only when my tempo got out of whack did it give me a biggish pull left with no hook quality to it.   I didn't hit any right of my intended line all day and didn't really draw any.   I don't have a tip in my Silver 60 stiff yet, but I will test it next week and then I'll have both of them going up against the Paderson.  I'll tip trim the Silver, which I didn't do with the Black.

I took the Rogue Silver stiff 60 out for my second round of the year and results were dreadful.   I had it in the same settings as the black stiff 60 and it seemed to launch just as high.   Distances were quite short.   I was 10-20 yards behind where I normally am.   Can't really tell what's wrong, I must have had an off day.   Well, my score definitely revealed I was having an off day.   Shot an 87.   Putter was dreadful, Scors were dreadful, woods were dreadful.   I had 4 three putts in the first 5 holes.    So I'll put that first experience aside and see what happens next.

The next day I took all three of my shafts to the range.   The Fujikura again seemed longer, but it has left and right misses with curls in both directions at the end of the ball flight.   Both the Silver and the Black don't miss right and they don't hook much left when I come over the top.  They tend to go straight (which I love).   But they appear to go exactly the same height, and the launch angles look very close to each other to my eye (both high).  The Black seems to have a bit more spin.

Either way I couldn't hit the back fence of this range on the fly with EITHER shaft and it scoped at 225.    So I took out a couple of real balls and sure enough I hit the netting half way up with both.   GAWD I HATE RANGES THAT USE FLIGHT LIMITED BALLS!   Might as well not bother.   So I scoped all their yardage markers.   Yep, the 100 was set at 83, the 150 at 131 etc. So that was a waste of two buckets.

So all I still really know is that the Rogue Silver goes about as high as the Black.

Played another 18 holes with both the Rogue Silver and Black, 9 holes each and multiple drives on every hole with each shaft so about 20 balls with each one on real fairways.  

I can't really see a launch height difference between the two shafts.   Both launch rather high for me.   This is surprising.  The Black may be a tad spinnier and a fraction higher.   I dialed the Black down to 8.5 setting and I felt pretty comfortable with it in that configuration.   It seemed hotter off the face than the silver and I thought I made very good contact with both on a number of occasions but I only RARELY got out past 260.  Sure, I hit a couple that were 280, but I was constantly back around 250-260, so I was not a happy camper.

Both are very stable, maintaining the same behavior as you take bigger swings.   But I just don't feel the ooomph.   The silver feels deader than the black.   Not so much dead as just blah.   Straight, sure.... but just no kick.   And no noticeable difference between the two in rollout.   Since they aren't going very far, I can usually see them hit and bounce.   They usually go rather high, drop steeply and settle fast.

Maybe it's just midwinter and my swing stinks and I'm playing on strange courses.  I'll have to get on my home course where I'm very familiar with "good" swings and the distances they produce with this head.   No more updates until I can get them both on a monitor side by side with the Paderson test.

• 3 weeks later...

I've played 36 more holes with the Rogue Silver installed and I've definitely found the setup and swing with which it likes to be swung.   It's grooved now.  Very stable, very reliable, I'm rarely missing and when I do it's the result of a sway on my backswing.

I can say with confidence that it's the straightest, most reliable shaft I've swung in many years, it goes right where I point it and has very little curve in either direction regardless of my swing.  And it's resistent to changing it's behavior no matter how hard you swing.   But it is short and it launches high.   I don't think I've hit it past 275 even once.   I've hit some that I thought, "Oh baby, I really flushed that one!", then I get out there and according to the GPS they aren't very long.   But I'll have 14 out of 14 in play and 11 or 12 in the fairway.   It's a puzzlement.

So what do I do?   Accept short and steady or go back to a little bit wild?

Anyway, I'll get it and the Black on the monitor with the Paderson testing and we'll see how they compare stats wise.

How much distance are you losing on average compared to your previous shaft? Not to mention all the variables that come into play like weather, swing speed, strikes, etc. It's hard to argue with 11-12/14 fairways. I would think the launch monitor testing will give you the least biased data to compare.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Right now it's staying in the bag.   I only have one head, so Sunday I hit some balls with the Rogue and then swapped in the Fuji which is longer.  But it's too hard to switch back and forth on the same hole.  I didn't hit the Fuji very well, but on the last hole I hit a low hooky ugly thing with the Fuji and then switched and piped a beautiful Rogue.   Both ended up the same distance, with the Fuji in the rough, even though the Fuji was hit badly!   I'd say I'm losing 5 to 10 yards, but my deviation is soooooo much lower with the Rogue

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks after my last post and so I thought I'd give you a "rest of the story", final post.

I thoroughly tested both of the Rogue shafts against my current gamer (Fujikura Zcom TW74) and the new Paderson Kinetixx Green as a part of this blog's Paderson testing.   I tested on the range, 54 holes on course, and on a GC2 launch monitor.   For more detailed info on the results, you can go to my section of the Paderson test.  

Suffice it to say here that the Rogues performed poorly in these head to head tests.   Both the Black and the Silver launched higher than their two competitors (18 to 20 degrees), with lower ball speeds and worse spin.  And they were noticeably shorter on the course, the range and the monitor.   I tried them in two heads (Optiforce 440 and 460) and both produced undesirable spin numbers in the 3000s in both heads, the upper 3000s with the Optiforce 460 head and the lower 3000s with the 440 head.  The combination of high spin and high launch was woeful in both, but the differences between the two siblings was almost indistinguishable.  That said, the gap between the Rogues and the other two shafts was so wide that I didn't even hesitate in tossing them aside and both have already been sold off.   When something doesn't work, I don't keep it.   The Paderson and Fuji shafts were both able to produce launches in the 15 to 17 degree range with spins in the low 2000s and higher ball speeds.

The only thing the Rogues had going for them was they were pretty straight and easy to load consistently.   That said, they lagged far behind the other two in distance no matter what I did to them.  

On a final note, I want to repeat that I could not see much of a difference between the Black and the Silver in terms of either launch angle or spin numbers.   If I had masked the shaft identifying information, I could not tell you which shaft I had just hit with.   According to Aldila, the Silver should launch much lower and spin much less.   It did neither for me.

• 1 year later...

I just took delivery of the Cobra King LTD with the Aldila Rogue Black shaft......My numbers on the launch monitor were pretty impressive for a mid 80's swing speed when i hit one at Golfsmith last month.  Here's hoping that they transfer over to the fairway.  Distances were 10 to 15 yards longer and the dispersion pattern was pretty tight.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 2 weeks later...

I just took delivery of the Cobra King LTD with the Aldila Rogue Black shaft......My numbers on the launch monitor were pretty impressive for a mid 80's swing speed when i hit one at Golfsmith last month.  Here's hoping that they transfer over to the fairway.  Distances were 10 to 15 yards longer and the dispersion pattern was pretty tight.

I'm jealous! The King LTD is a beautiful club, I took a few swings with it at the PGA Superstore and really enjoyed the way it felt. I might look at it again in a few years when the price drops.

As for comments on the Rogue Silver, I agree with some of the comments above stating that it feels heavy. I have noticed the same thing, however, I've also noticed that I am more consistent with the shaft at the expense of only a few yards. The best trait that I have noticed with the Rogue Silver is that when my tempo gets a little quick, the club head still remains very stable and I don't get those nasty snap hooks that I have noticed with some lighter weight shafts. I'm pretty happy with it overall and it pairs nicely with the Big Bertha DBD.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9° w/ GD Tour AD DI-6X

3wd: TaylorMade SIM 15° w/ GD Tour AD DI-7S

2h: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 17° w/ Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

4h: Callaway XR Pro 23 w/ Project X LZ 6.0

5i - PW: Callaway Apex Pro

Wedges: Callaway MD3 50°, Titleist SM8 54° and 58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Currently I have the Paderson Kinetix green shaft in the King. I had it in my Bio Cell, and the adapter works in the King. The shaft is one inch shorter and my "lag time" is perfect with the shaft. I like the Rogue Black but the Paderson is the Bomb!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 1 year later...

As far as the aldila rogue goes, I really like the silver over the black. For some reason I can't feel the sweetspot at impact with the ball and does not have a second gear for distance unlike the silvery . My set up is the 2017 M2 9.5 set at 8 deg with a silver 110msi stiff. As of last LM SS 102 to 110. Carry was a low 247 yds and high of 267 yds. Spin rate ave of 3000 with a fair shot dispersion of 3 to 10L. I think the silver is an above average to good shaft where you can also go after the ball with minimal stray shots.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

... I feel the same way about the Rogue Black Tour 110. Best shaft I have ever played. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Archived