GolfSpy Barbajo

A Tour Van Level Fitting in Minneapolis, Or How GolfSpy Barbajo Got Xtra-Stiff...

So, went to the fitting today with my buddy Kevin - who's a scratch golfer.  Same fitter, two completely different results from my fitting last week. 

Thomas said that my transitions was downright violent, Kevin's is much smoother, and his swing speed is a tad faster than mine.  Thomas' goal was to get Kevin's ball speed up close to 160 with the right head and shaft combination.  He tried the Titleist 915, the SLDR 430 and 460, the R-15, the X2Hot and last year's Alpha, and several different shafts, including the Fujikura that I hit as well as the Blue Version.  

Because of Kevin's smoother and more sound swing, Thomas recommended a stiff shaft for Kevin, in the 65 gram weight range.  Kevin was much better getting close to the sweet spot than I was -- basically he's more of a swinger whereas I'm more of a hitter ("clubber" might be a better term!)  

Kevin hit all of the drivers fairly close to the same distance, although the SLDR may have been the least consistent.  The Alpha was amazing for him -- in terms of dispersion patterns, the Alpha, when coupled with the Fujikura Motore - was remarkable.  He hit four or five drives with that combination, and I swear the balls all landed within a 2 or 3 yard patch on the launch monitor, with a nice power fade at around 285 yards.  

Other head and shaft combinations were just as long, but dispersion was all over the place.  

It's really a fun and educational process to go through!

I hope to go back next week and work a bit more on my irons. Will keep you posted.  Will also post some info on my hybrid fitting as well. 

• Like 1

Alpha isn't a well known brand but they make quality heads! I've had my Alpha heads longer than any other set I've owned.

Hmmm. Interesting for sure. I'm past you by a fair amount of yards in the real world and wouldn't sniff at an X anymore. Violent transition and all.

Shaft deflection and droop are not aided by all these adjustable clubs. I still think there is room in this equation for properly aligned shafts minimizing the shaft deflection.

Too long a shaft length has typically yielded heel hits for me, and too short, toe hits.

Toe droop can be controlled some through proper shaft orientation, and adding or subtracting head weight can cause or lessen or increase toe droop as well to adjust where contact is being made. I was super impressed they mention this in the manual of the new Srixon Z series drivers, in fact.

Definitely will be interested to see how it pans out for you on course. I'm about 20 minutes north of them. Maybe I'll have to head down there one day.

Alpha isn't a well known brand but they make quality heads! I've had my Alpha heads longer than any other set I've owned.

Pretty sure this was the Callaway Big Bertha Alpha he is referring to.

Pretty sure this was the Callaway Big Bertha Alpha he is referring to.

Yup - my bad.  The Cally Big Bertha Alpha

• Like 1

I guess Alpha clubs are even less well known that I thought  Apparently, Callaway hasn't heard of them, either. - lol

Ha!

After reading Johns article here I had to give the Tour Van a look. Incredible results and I'll be sharing them soon. But the Big Bertha Alpha 815 is an incredible head for those looking for distance as well as forgiveness in this low and forward world.

• Like 1

Ha!

After reading Johns article here I had to give the Tour Van a look. Incredible results and I'll be sharing them soon. But the Big Bertha Alpha 815 is an incredible head for those looking for distance as well as forgiveness in this low and forward world.

Looking forward to your review, as well.  I'm hoping to try it myself, in the spring.

Sounds like a priceless experience to better your golf game, speaking of priceless though, what is the price?  Their website doesn't have the price for the full bag tour van fitting.  If it isn't some astronomical number I would like to do it.  

It's not that easy to find on their website, so I saved the link.  It's very reasonable.

http://fitting.2ndswing.com/2nd-swing-golf-club-fitting/fitting-menu/pricing/

Pricing
Complete Fitting and Exceptional Service

A 2nd Swing fitting includes personal, one-on-one service and use of our state-of-the-art fitting center. Custom fitting is a value-added experience when you buy at 2nd Swing. Below, the pricing for the different fitting services are broken down into two categories: With Purchase and Without Purchase.

Type of Fitting Without Purchase With Purchase Driver $100.00 FREE Fairway/Hybrid $50.00 FREE Iron Set $100.00 FREE Wedge $50.00 FREE Putter $50.00 FREE Putter – Studio B $100.00 FREE (with $200 putter purchase) Complete Bag W/O Studio B $150.00 FREE Complete Bag with Studio B $250.00 FREE (with $700 purchase) Grip Analysis $15.00 FREE Shaft Analysis $20.00 FREE Ball Analysis $20.00 FREE
  • Like 1

Wow, I was honestly expecting between $750 and $1000 for everything you talked about in your posts.  So for $250 you can have the complete bag workup with everything you talked about in your post(free with $700 purchase)?

• Like 1