TESTERS WANTED! ×

REVIEW: The Mati Mamo Putter - From Italy With Amore!

Il Possente Mati Mamo - Putter Amano lo Stile Italiano

(The Mighty Mati Mamo – Putter Love Italian Style)

spyreview-mati.jpg

Dean Martin.  Frank Sinatra, Vincent LaGuardia Gambini.

Sophia Loren.

The list of Italy's gifts to North America is deep, wide and long.  Italian-American pride is strong among my people, to the point where we feel amore for anything from the homeland. 

Like Gnocchi.  Or Braciole

Or Mati Putters.

What, and Who, Is Mati Putters?

Mati makes hand-crafted, milled-faced putters in a small machine shop in Bernareggio, Italy, a small village near Milan in Northern Italy, not far from the Swiss border.  Owner Seliano Brambilla, 44, is Mati Putters. He's the head designer, machinist, master putter assembler, and CEO.

seliano.jpg

He's also the only employee.

Metal work is the family business.  Seliano was taught machining by his father, and still does much of his machining by hand, with some CNC milling. 

“I started Mati because of my passion for golf and for quality,” said Seliano.  “I design, and then I make.  It takes 3 hours, more or less, to make a putter.”  That, friends, is the entire journey from a hunk of 303 stainless steel to a fully milled, balanced, decorated and assembled golf club. 

mati 2.jpg mati 3.jpg

Seliano started Mati in 2013, naming it after his daughter, Matilde. A new model is named GAB, after his son Gabriele.  It Italy, it's all about passione e famiglia.

Seliano sent me a Mamo model to try out.

two mati.png

“It has a very special story,” he said.  “It's made in collaboration with Mamo no-profit association, to take care of sick children around the world.”

Mamo is Massimo Cocchi, or “Mamo” to his friends.  Mamo died of cancer last year, and his friends (he had many) started Team Mamo Onlus in his honor to benefit  children's health charities worldwide (teammamoonlus.org - you'll need it translated).  Seliano donates 40 Euros from the sale of each Mamo putter to the cause.

Andiamo al Putter Mamo:

The Mamo is a milled-face blade with a slight toe hang, suitable for the slight-arc golfer.  Here are the specs:

Material: 303 Stainless Steel

Loft: 4*

Lie: 72*

Dexterity: Right or Left

Length: 33 to 35” standard (mine was cut to 32”)

Shaft: True Temper with double-bend

Grip: Lamkin Gen3 Pistol, midsize

Price: 350 Euros (≈ $435.00)

303 Stainless Steel is easy to mill and makes an exceptionally soft feeling putter.  On the company website, Seliano says a Mati putter is not “manufactured,” it is “obtained.” 

Untitled.jpg

I kinda like that. Take a hunk of stainless steel and mill away anything that doesn't look like a putter. 

Let's run this bambino through its paces and see if it performs.

Lo Aspetto:

The Mamo's satiny stainless finish is understated, and one of the first things you notice is the fairly wide sole.  The tri-level back of the putter has just the slightest hint of a stripped down Bobby Grace look.

mamo closeup.jpg

The milled face is traditional, with “Mamo” engraved on the backside. “SS303” is etched into the toe-end of the backside, “Fe” into the heal end (a tribute to Italian photographer Federica Cerami).  The Mati logo is engraved on the sole, along with three lines paint-filled green, white and red, i colori della bandiera italiana (colors of the Italian flag). 

Seliano added a nice little surprise on the sole, engraving “Giovanni,” as my broken English-speaking Nona used to call me.

The Mamo is solid looking and confidence boosting at address, but I wouldn't call it  “stunning.” Its look is one of handsome grace; more Tea Leoni than Sophia Loren.  Not that that's a bad thing.

Il Tatto:

When it comes to feel, however, the Mamo is all Sophia Loren.  Bellisimo!

A benchmark of 303 stainless is soft feel, and Mamo is downy soft.  At impact the ball makes a muted little “click,” and you absolutely know when you've hit the sweet spot.

2014-11-22 11.36.01.jpg

Practice strokes with the Mamo feel very stable.  The 360-gram head feels strong and balanced, even with the shaft cut down to 32”. Perimeter weighting makes it very easy to make a smooth, stable stroke.  It's almost impossible to twist the head at impact.

Allineamento:

A simple red line on the back of the flange is subtle, but effective, and the milling on the putter's backside helps you frame the ball easily. All Mati putters have that same line, so if you want more alignment help than that Mati may not be the putter for you.

2014-11-22 11.42.53.jpg

Prestazione:

Ultimately, none of the above matters if the Mamo doesn't perform, Italian-made or not.

I tested Mamo on the practice green at the Minnesota Golf Academy: 50 putts from 5, 10 and 15 feet each, a total of 150 putts, spread out over 4 days. 

These were basic, straight putts – with just a touch of break, taken from similar spots on the green.  Green reading was taken out of the equation, so the only thing considered was the ability to hit a putt on the line you choose, with the right speed so it goes in the hole.

Here are the results:

5 feet:              42 of 50 – 84%

10 feet:            41 of 50 – 82%

15 feet:            24 of 50 – 48%

From 5 and 10 feet Mamo was mortale (deadly) – the ball simply wanted to go straight!  The heavy blade felt stable and steady, making it easy put a smooth, accelerating stroke on the ball.

2014-11-22 11.45.13-1.jpg 2014-11-22 11.45.51-2.jpg

Davide Contro Golia:

How does Mamo stack up against a giant? I tried a head-to-head shootout with a Nike Mod 00 Mallet.  The Nike is an excellent putter, and from 5 to 10 feet it was close to equally effective.  From 15 feet, however, the Mamo started to stand out, not so much from the putts sunk, but from the misses. 

Misses with the Mamo were either slightly left or just short – nothing more than 6 to 8 inches from the cup.  On the longer putts the Mamo's putter head still wanted to stay square. It was almost impossible to twist, and distance control was spot on.  The misses with the Nike were more erratic, further left or right, and distance was less consistent. 

Analisi Finale:

In the final analysis, a good putter is like a good tool. It should feel like an extension of the person using it.  What Seliano Brambilla has produced is not just homage to a friend, but a putter than “fits” as well as anything I've ever putted with. It's soft, smooth and stable. And it finds the hole.

At 350 Euros (roughly $435.00) the Mamo is not inexpensive.  But what you're getting is a unique, custom-crafted piece of workmanship, made with what we Italians call “passione.”

The motto “Memento Audere Semper” is embroidered into the leather headcover in green, white and red for all Mati's. It means, “Remember to Always Dare.” To Seliano, it's his personal, as well as company, motto.

â€œFor golf, for life, for family, for all my life,” says Seliano.  “I wish for people to understand life isn't about having a famous name. I prefer to make only quality putters full milled, not like the ones made in China.  Quality is much more important.”

Hmmm…Bettinardi, Buzelli, Brambilla. There's something about Italians and putters…

Mighty Mamo MyGolfSpy Forum Contest!!

We have a Mati Mamo putter to give away to one lucky forum member! 

Click here and follow the instructions to enter.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm proud to be one of Seliano's friends, he's an incredibly passionate man about his work (not just putters... ) and I was one of the first able to try one of his creations. I loved them from the beginning, but I resisted for a long time before I used a Mati. In my bag I had a beautiful Slighter Tacoma, completely personalised for me, but as soon as the Mati II was available, I knew I had to change. It's smaller and more difficult than the Mamo, but I love the traditional offset, and distance control is without doubt the best I have ever experienced.

I was a real putter ho, some time ago I had a couple of Camerons, a Gauge Design, some TaylorMades, an Odissey a Yes and a Yamada (and I might forget something), but now I'm proud to use a beautiful italian masterpiece!!!

If you play golf, you're my friend

Is he able to customize? Slightly different bumpers, rounded/flat topline, shallower cavity, etc?

I think that is the advantage of the smaller putter makers vs the big boys. Custom customers won't mind the extra $$ to truly get what they want. Even RJB has a custom program.

That was a most excellent review John!!

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Me too I am a friend of Seliano. I have met him at the very early stages of his Craftman's career within putter arena and when describing his products he had sparkling eyes. He was speaking about his putters as he was speaking about his children.

Passion was the first word that came on my mind. I got the luck to try all the models and if you really want a piece of "Cuore & Passione Italiani" (Italian Heart & Passion) put on metal you should definitely go for a Mati Putter...

You will never regret your choice, definitely...

"G.O.L.F is a Game Of Luck and Flukes"

"Wir Müssen Wissen, Wir Werden Wissen", D. Hilbert, [1930]

"There Is No Royal Road to Geometry", Euclid

"Mathematics Is The Life Of The Gods." Novalis (Friedrich von Hardenberg)

"If your enemy is superior, evade him. If a ngry, irritate him. If equally matched, fight, and if not split and reevaluate", SunTzu, The Art Of War.

Taking an AimPoint class Saturday - it'll be interesting to see how Mamo works for me!  Will have plenty of pics!!!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Mornin' gang -- reminder:  The contest to win the Mati Mamo ends Monday night - we'll announce a winner Tuesday!  Make sure to head over to the Contest thread and get your name in!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Attenzioni!!!!

We have a winner!  Congrats to MGoBlue100 - he's the proud new owner of a brand, spankin' new Mamo model putter from Mati Putters of Italy!

Bellissimo!!!!  Make sure you say "atsa nice" to MGoBlue100.  He'll be the guy sinking putts while dancing the Tarantella!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 10 months later...

I wanted to post an update now that I've been putting with my Mati Mamo for a few months.  Initially I struggled with the putter, as I had been a mallet (Odyssey 2Ball) user for a long time.  However, I shortened the Mamo to my preferred length of 33", and replaced the Lamkin REL 3GEN grip with a Super Stroke 2.0 Mid Slim grip.  Everyone I play with says they have never seen me putt better.  I have always been a decent to good putter.  With the Mamo, if you put the ball online, it stays online and rolls out beautifully.  My distance control is incredibly good with this putter.  I know a lot of you are big on Scotty and Edel (both understandable) but I can't recommend the Mati more strongly.  Get one and try it!

Mamo_CROP.jpg

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Thanks for the follow up! The fatter grips and shorter length seem to be making a big difference, I cut mine down 1.5 inches and put a similar size grip.

I was trying to look them up to see what other head styles he makes, but had no luck. Any direction?

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Awesome putter! Now is the time to buy with the current exchange rate! 350 euros is about $385 American!

What part of Italy are these made in? Don't say Sicily... Don't say Sicily... Don't say Sicily...

HIs shop is just north of Milan.  And as an aside - just heard from him this week, he'll be attending the PGA show in Florida this January.  I'm very excited to meet him! Two paisans getting together in Orlando - this could be trouble....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

HIs shop is just north of Milan. And as an aside - just heard from him this week, he'll be attending the PGA show in Florida this January. I'm very excited to meet him! Two paisans getting together in Orlando - this could be trouble....

Nice! Mi familia is from Recoaro Terme just north of Verona so they wouldn't appreciate me rolling a putter from anywhere else.

I think I'm going to go to the show this year- haven't been in awhile- it's be nice to check em out!

• 4 months later...

ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1458654877.307695.jpgImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1458654889.740853.jpg

Some new pics of my MATI Mamo #bestputtersever

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1458654877.307695.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1458654889.740853.jpg

Some new pics of my MATI Mamo #bestputtersever

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Looking Good Blue!

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

That thing is the TRUTH!!

• 5 years later...

Wanted to give this a bump based on the Mati Synchro's performance in today's Most Wanted Blade Putter testing. Talk about your Cinderella story, outta nowhere. 

Bravissimo!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Wanted to give this a bump based on the Mati Synchro's performance in today's Most Wanted Blade Putter testing. Talk about your Cinderella story, outta nowhere. 

Bravissimo!

That Mati had an awesome performance on the MGS Most wanted. I would love to try one of their plumber neck blades, but I am guessing their aren't many places in the US that have them available. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Bravissimo!

As one of he testers, it was nice to actually put may hands on these putters.  I really like how these putters feel and roll the ball.  Even if you don’t like the looks,  the performance they provide will make you a believe. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

That Mati had an awesome performance on the MGS Most wanted. I would love to try one of their plumber neck blades, but I am guessing their aren't many places in the US that have them available. 

`Not many, as in none. Mati is based in Italy - custom orders only. 

I've known Seliano for several years, and he finally took the plunge to participate in Most Wanted. Here's the kind of guy he is - I don't think he'll care if these results in even one more putter sale. The most important thing to him is validation of his life's work. Don't know of too many people who truly love what they do like he does. There's a lot of amore in each putter...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

`Not many, as in none. Mati is based in Italy - custom orders only. 

I've known Seliano for several years, and he finally took the plunge to participate in Most Wanted. Here's the kind of guy he is - I don't think he'll care if these results in even one more putter sale. The most important thing to him is validation of his life's work. Don't know of too many people who truly love what they do like he does. There's a lot of amore in each putter...

i might need to take the plunge on one of the plumber's neck putters. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4