TESTERS WANTED! ×

Incoming heads...what shaft?

I finally ordered the 2 heads for my test drive.

I'm curious, I currently play Cobra DWS hybrids with the Aldila R flex made for shafts in them. I also have some KBS hybrid shafts R flex.

In my irons I play FST 90 R flex and was wondering if I should go with the same for the hybrid head I'm testing or make it up with the KBS instead. The FST weighs about 90g and the KBS about 100g.

What say you and why?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

If you have access to a fitter with a frequency shaft machine I would suggest running the numbers on your current hybrids and trying to match them. I also like Bob's suggestion on the FST 90s I have become a big fan of that shaft

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Thank you gentlemen. Because I'm doing them myself, I have the "luxury" of being able tochange them when I like.

I'm going to go with the FST and see what's what. The new hybrid actually looks like an iron rather than a mini fairway, hence my reason for asking.

More thoughts are welcome.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

UPDATE: The heads hit the house yesterday. I'll take pictures of them...they look pretty sharp.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Onlyreason I'd warn away from the FST 90's and going, instead, with the KBS hybrid is the weight of the head.  Those shafts aren't going to play to the same flex with that much heavier of a head.  If you do, I might go up a flex and softstep once to mitigate the weight/flex effect.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Bob, I ordered a Maltby DBM 6 iron and a KE4 Tour HDI 5 hybrid.

Rookie, the 6 iron head weighs 261.8g and the hybrid weighs 248.8g.

Pics from the website:

ma0225.jpg

ma0238.jpg

In the bag:

Bag: 

Matt, the hybrid is really only light, compared to a 5 iron head by 4-6 grams. Hopefully when you ordered the head, you ordered a few different weights. I believe they come stock with a 6 gram weight installed in the head. Weights come up to 14g. At a finished length of ~38" and a heavier weight, you should just about right. It will depend a lot on the balance point of the shaft as well. I have the same 4H as that, but have yet to build something as of yet. I have built several sets of the TE's for people, with great success. It's one of my favourites. Good luck brother!

Bob, I didn't get any weights, but that's what the experimentation is for. I'll hit it with the standard 6g in it and see what happens. If need be, I'll order more weights and play around with them until I find what I like.

I'm really looking forward to trying these heads as I have high hopes for them. If all goes well, I'll order the 7, 8 and 9 irons and 3 and 4 hybrids and put them together.

I'm also eying their Trouble Out HL 3 and 5 woods pairing them with Xtreme Xcaliber 6 shafts.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Bob, I didn't get any weights, but that's what the experimentation is for. I'll hit it with the standard 6g in it and see what happens. If need be, I'll order more weights and play around with them until I find what I like.

I'm really looking forward to trying these heads as I have high hopes for them. If all goes well, I'll order the 7, 8 and 9 irons and 3 and 4 hybrids and put them together.r

I'm also eying their Trouble Out HL 3 and 5 woods pairing them with Xtreme Xcaliber 6 shafts.

I've used Maltby's KE4 ST-F fairway woods, but with XCALIBER FAIRWAY shaft. Great combo! But, I've not had any experience with the TROUBLE OUT's. Robin's shafts are the real deal, and he is a gentleman.

What is gonna be your playing length of your 5H?

I've used Maltby's KE4 ST-F fairway woods, but with XCALIBER FAIRWAY shaft. Great combo! But, I've not had any experience with the TROUBLE OUT's. Robin's shafts are the real deal, and he is a gentleman.

What is gonna be your playing length of your 5H?

I have a lot of trouble with my 3 wood off the deck, so how easy are the KE4's to hit?

The 5H will be 37.5". Reason being I play 36.5" 7 iron (fitted for that length) and the hybrids being an iron type head, that would be the natural progression.

In the bag:

Bag: 

I have a lot of trouble with my 3 wood off the deck, so how easy are the KE4's to hit?

The 5H will be 37.5". Reason being I play 36.5" 7 iron (fitted for that length) and the hybrids being an iron type head, that would be the natural progression.

Matt, you're not alone. The vast majority, I believe have trouble consistently hitting a 3W off the deck. The combination of club length and low loft make it a bugger. Day in, day out, I think an 18ish degree, shallower-faced fairway wood will produce better results, for the masses. Maltby's ST-F is such a head. There is a reason you've been fitted to a shortish 7i. The closer you're standing to the ball, the more consistently you're hitting the middle of the clubface. Therefore, a shorter fairway club makes more sense as well. The ST-F's shallower face and lower/rear centre-of-gravity makes for a nice trajectory and longer carry.

There is a reason you've been fitted to a shortish 7i.

Yeah, I'm a short arse! :lol:

Edit: Just finished removing the head off the six iron, tipped the shaft for the hybrid, cleaned up both shafts and epoxied the heads on...used too much epoxy, but it's my first time, so I now know a little goes a long way.

Have to wait until Thursday to butt trim the hybrid and grip the clubs (bloody work gets in the way) before testing them out in the garage net...once they look pretty I'll post some photo's.

In the bag:

Bag: 

UPDATE #2:

These things are SWEET! I haven't swung a club in at least 8 weeks, so I have some rust to knock off, but when I had another epiphany and slowed my swing down a la the Big Easy, the clubs felt like butter...even the hybrid and it's not forged.

Here are some pics.

20141221_144934_zpsbyx2fklx.jpg

20141221_145232_zpsw0awfgpk.jpg

20141221_145310_zpsv4autz5q.jpg

20141221_145436_zpsbkgzyq8x.jpg

20141221_145601_zpsdglpk12y.jpg

20141221_145731_zpsidzr8dqp.jpg

Pure grips, of course.

20141221_145745_zpst6jcsaev.jpg

Think I hit too many balls???

20141221_144707_zpsna0uhsbc.jpg

I'm going to order the rest of the heads and the extra shafts after the Christmas silly season is over...then I really get to test them in Florida in February.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Those look awesome!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Those look awesome!

Thanks mate. They're not big name, so not every one's cup of tea, but I like them a lot.

In the bag:

Bag: 

They look similar to the Maltby irons I made about 15 years ago except mine were bright. I like the dark finish and understated looks a lot. Good job!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

That's a solid looking 5i.  Reminds me of the Adams Dhy Pro.

As far as your shaft question....pretty standard answer....go with the one that fits your gap and gives you the best accuracy :-))

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Sweet looking clubs!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

They look good Matt. What did you do for ferrules?

Thanks Bob. What do you mean? For the iron, I used a ferrule that I ordered from Golfworks and the hybrid, I used one that I had from the last iron build as they fit better than the recommended ones...no need for turning down.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Hey Matt, I couldn't make out what you used for ferrules in the pictures. You didn't have to turn them down at all? Lucky man!

Not at all. The ones that were recommended for the hybrid would have needed turning down and I wouldn't have the first idea about that, so I did get very lucky.

In the bag:

Bag: 

UPDATE 3:

I ordered the rest of the club heads and shafts I need yesterday and they should be at my house sometime this afternoon...I'll be busy on the weekend making my new clubs.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Well, the new clubs are finished and waiting to see some action next month.

I ended up with a 3, 4 & 5 hybrid and 6, 7, 8 & 9 irons. The 9 iron is 42°, so I'll have to get me wedges bent 2° to compensate...until I can pick up 46, 50 & 54° SCOR heads. I check ebay every now and then but I think I'll set up an alert for them.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Pix of the whole set would be nice.......showcase your custom work!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Pix of the whole set would be nice.......showcase your custom work!

Will do...have to wait until Friday when I get to catch my breath.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Here you go Foz and anyone else that's interested.

20150117_083240_zpsfliertw1.jpg

Yes, I do have head covers on them, they're forged and I don't want bag dings.

20150117_083411_zpscd9cyuob.jpg

20150117_083445_zps2b79otvt.jpg

20150117_083529_zpslbrrlckv.jpg

I think I have to reshaft the 5H. I accidently cut it the same length as the 6 iron and that won't work.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Archived