TESTERS WANTED! ×

2014 MyGolfSpy Christmas Apparel Guide

SPY ZINGER

2014 MyGolfSpy Christmas Apparel Guide

@SPYZINGER.jpg

If you're a MyGolfSpy reader, by default, you're “That Guy.” You know the one I am talking about. The guy that all of your family members know as, the “Big Golfer.” I am not immune to this descriptor either. Every time I hear it, I think to myself, what the heck does that even mean? I'll tell you what it means. It means you're guaranteed to get the dumbest golf novelty gift for Christmas. The "tear-away" calendar with golf quotes. The miniature putting green that can be used from a toilet seat. Maybe even a box of 15 of the hardest golf balls you're embarrassed to donate to the local driving range.

11.jpg

Let's face it, unless people golf themselves, they usually have no idea what to buy for the serious player on their Christmas list. Last week, MyGolfSpy brought you a gift guide for the serious golfer, which included some of the best performing pieces of equipment in the game. Over the years, I've had the opportunity to preview some of the best pieces in the golf apparel market. To that end, I compiled a short list of some of my favorite apparel pieces in the industry. You certainly can't buy a game, but at least you can look spectacular in some of the best apparel pieces in the game.  So here you have it, Big Golfer.  Turn in your golf apparel Christmas list, and tell them to check it twice.

The 2014 MyGolfSpy Christmas Apparel Guide

1. Patrick Gibbons Handmade Alligator Belt
http://www.patrickgibbonshandmade.com/golf-shop/belts/alligator-golf-belts/

IMG_5217.jpg

What began as a boutique putter grip company out of a garage in Scottsdale, AZ, to some of the finest leather products offered in Golf. Patrick Gibbons' Handmade leather products can be found on the world's professional tours, as well as some of the most exclusive country clubs in the game. From belts, to shoes, wallets to head-covers, Handmade produces handcrafted exotic leather products for aficionados demanding the best.

2. QED Style Park City Shorts
http://qedstyle.com/shop/black-park-city-shorts/

QED Style is one of the lifestyle brands that is doing all the right things. Their trends and styles can be worn both on and off the golf course with ease. QED Style offers some of the best designs in golf. The Park City Shorts are the most comfortable, and functional pair of shorts you'll ever own.

IMG_5222.jpg

3. Alial Fital Golf Polo
http://www.alialfital.com/collections/standard-fit-polos

Alial Fital took the dress shirt out of the boardroom and stuck the collar on a golf shirt. The result is one of the most unique shirts in golf. Alial Fital shirts are produced as limited edition pieces in lots of 100. Once a particular style is sold out, it's gone forever. They're one of my favorite shirts in the game, and you'll probably be the only one at the course with their name on your tag.

IMG_5236.jpg

4. Iliac Golf LDS Luxury Tour Pants
http://www.iliacgolf.com/collections/pants/products/pants-lds-luxury-dry-stretch-tour-pant-black

After three years of prototype testing, the Iliac Golf, LDS Luxury Tour pants were born. Inspired by a timeless 17th century high fashion designer pants, the LDS features leather contrasting accents, tailorable lengths, and a style you won't find in big box stores. The most comfortable and best fitting golf pants I've owned.

IMG_5243.jpg

5. Kentwool Tour Profile Sock
http://shop.kentwool.com/Performance-Golf-Socks/Men-s-Tour-Profile-Golf-Sock.html

It's not everyday that people research a pair of socks for the game. However, once you put a pair of Kentwool socks on your feet, you'll understand why they're on this list. They'll make your favorite pair of golf shoes feel just a bit more comfortable. With extra cushion added to the heel and forefoot, Kentwool socks feel wonderful on the feet. They're the only socks I use on the course.

IMG_5232.jpg

6. Alial Fital Castile & Leon Zip Up

http://www.alialfital.com/collections/outerwear/products/castile-leon-zip-up

Alial Fital expanded their line in 2014 and added a zip-up pullover to the list. Following in the tradition of their shirts, the pullovers are also limited edition pieces. One of the most uniquely designed pullovers with an angular zipper pocket and hidden elastic inside the cuffs to keep them secure. Style and function at it's best.

IMG_5239.jpg

7. Black Clover USA Premium Clover Hats
http://blackcloverusa.com/collections/premium-fitted-hats

You'll find the four leaf clover hats at some of the most exclusive clubs in the country. After you pick one up and try one on, you'll feel why they're on this list. They are well constructed, durable, and some of the most attractively designed hats in the game. Live lucky.

IMG_5228.jpg

8. 59 Belts The Freshman Belt
http://59belts.com/product/the-freshman-59-belt/

Seen around the waists of touring professionals, 59 Belts are most famous for their buckles milled from a block of stainless steel. In 2015, 59 Belts is producing a retail line, and will include fresh options for the trendy player. New for 2015 is the Freshman Belt, and is 59's answer to the cloth web belt.

IMG_5241.jpg

Posted Image

What is a "Tour Profile sock"? Can you wear it if you don't play on PGA or ET? Is it approved for web.com? 

Is the Tour Profile different from Normal Golfer Profile?

Not trying to give you a hard time. Probably good socks, but the sales talk and almost hype is just b******t. Extra cushioning? Seriously? I'm lost for words. I swear we get a little more stupid every time we read some of the stuff from commercials and press releases.

Again. Sorry :) Your choices are excellent. Alial Fital looks like a cool brand. Iliac is so over the top and extremely overdesigned that it shouldn't work, but it almost does. 

What is a "Tour Profile sock"? Can you wear it if you don't play on PGA or ET? Is it approved for web.com? 

Is the Tour Profile different from Normal Golfer Profile?

Not trying to give you a hard time. Probably good socks, but the sales talk and almost hype is just b******t. Extra cushioning? Seriously? I'm lost for words. I swear we get a little more stupid every time we read some of the stuff from commercials and press releases.

Again. Sorry :) Your choices are excellent. Alial Fital looks like a cool brand. Iliac is so over the top and extremely overdesigned that it shouldn't work, but it almost does. 

Kentwools are thicker and are the perfect companion to my choice of shoes, TRUE Linkswear.  They are like wearing the iPhone Plus.  Just a little more.

If you were in the US, FURU, I would send you a pair right out of my sock drawer.

Also, these are my picks.  None of these companies reached out to us, I selected them all, and some couldn't send product in time.  So, I just used items I bought on my own.

Posted Image

Well for me it'd take something to get me away from Footjoy socks, really important though that your foot isn't moving round in the shoe - so whatever sock works for you. Unless your wearing knee high ones to go with your plus 4's then they aren't a fashion item.

But I also feel Furu's pain - we do have to suffer in golf some comedy marketing speak from golf tees to drivers, socks to hats... Worst bit is we've all bought into at one time another (in my case many many times)

Beautiful as it is, I'd want the rest of the gator as well If I bought a belt for 439 bucks!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Great list and I can say with certainty that you are correct on the Kentwool socks. I have about 7 pairs (some 3 years old) that are still in great shape. They are absolutely worth the extra few dollars.

I also have a pair of the QED Style shorts which are also a favorite of mine. Again, a few more dollars than most shorts, but they hold up forever (mine are 3 years old) and still in perfect condition.

Nice list.

I own 6 pairs of Patrick Gibbons Scottsdale shoes ( 2 shark  and 4 lizard), 11 lizard straps with matching cash covers, 2 signature buckles, 4 hats and 1 grip.

14 Alial Fital shirts, fantastic!

At least 20 pairs of Kentwool socks, tour profile, tour standard and their 19th hole sock. Kentwool is as advertised. I wear them "every" day. The tour profile is great in the warmer weather and helps to keep the feet cool and dry and the tour standard is great for cool/winter weather and keeps the feet warm. Well worth the investment in these socks. They do not wear out, I've given some of my older socks to my nephew or I would have more than I do.

Speaking of bad golf gifts. I have two initial ball stampers around here somewhere, dang they are an awful gift. 

Those Clover hats look great, as does the Polo. 

Driver: Call Epic 9* Stock Fujikura FW: Cally Rogue 17* R Hybrid: Titleis 910h 21* Blue Diamana Irons: Mizuno 850 Forged 5-G Nippon 1150 2 up 0.5" Sand: 54* Vokey SM6 M Grind Lob: 58* Vokey SM6 K Grind Putter: Scotty Select Newport 2 35"

Probably 2 Furu!

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

I did a quick calculation on what I would wear from those duds...I could build a set of components for that sort of money.

Don't get me wrong, when I play I dress the part, but there's no way on God's green Earth that I'm paying $124 for a pair of shorts and $85 for a polo. I'm a golfer, not a clotheshorse!  :D

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Last Sunday I was adorned with:

Thermal t shirt - 12 bucks (trying to do exchange rates in my head here)

Under armour polo - 25 bucks (sale rail)

Blue Puma wind shirt - 35 bucks (sale rail)

Red IJP trousers - 45 (sale rail)

Footjoy socks - 10

Ping bobble hat - hard to value as I've had it since 1994!

Ping leather belt - 20

Addidas pure motions - 50 (sale bargain)

Total outfit under 200 dollars......who am I to judge if I looked good (I did though!)

I would like a fancy belt or two, if Furu gets round to selling his car perhaps he'll buy me one!

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Diggin' the Kentwools as well.  Have 3 pairs of ankle socks, including the Bubba/Masters edition, and just bought 2 pair of their compression socks.  Those things are the freaking bomb!  They're so comfy I'd almost consider wearing them when golfing in shorts - even though they come up to just below the knees.

Then there's nothing else on that list that'll help me look good.   :wacko:

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Last Sunday I was adorned with:

Thermal t shirt - 12 bucks (trying to do exchange rates in my head here)

Under armour polo - 25 bucks (sale rail)

Blue Puma wind shirt - 35 bucks (sale rail)

Red IJP trousers - 45 (sale rail)

Footjoy socks - 10

Ping bobble hat - hard to value as I've had it since 1994!

Ping leather belt - 20

Addidas pure motions - 50 (sale bargain)

Total outfit under 200 dollars......who am I to judge if I looked good (I did though!)

I would like a fancy belt or two, if Furu gets round to selling his car perhaps he'll buy me one!

Very reasonable! Red trousers? Must be the Keegan Bradley look.

I will have to say that investing in Kentwool socks is worth every quid.

I find that the better deals I find for an outfit, the better courses I can afford to play.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well they are from the ian Poulter range!

Now the black under armour strides with the fluoro yellow lines......I may have to wear them on Thursday at celtic manor with the nike volt polo.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

• 3 weeks later...

Archived