TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best make up for wedges

Hi fullyB!  Welcome!!!!

I used to carry 4 wedges (PW at 46, then every 4* at 50, 54 and 58).  Found the 54 was rarely used, so dropped a wedge, added a hybrid and how just carry the PW, 52 and 56 - but will switch that to a 58 for the coming season.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I've never used make-up on my wedges.  I'd think that would make the balls sticky!

Seriously, I'm older with a slower swing speed and us a 5 degree gap on my SCOR wedges (48*-53*-58*)

Welcome to MGS!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Welcome to MGS fullyb,  you will find some friends here....

I only use the PW(45) GW(50) & SW(56)......that way i can carry a 5 wood & 2 Hybrid with my 4-PW iron set. If I need more wedge, i open up the SW.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

it all depends on your gapping and what your highest lofted iron is.  Do you want bigger gaps on the top end or bottom end of your bag.  Conventional wisdom points to having smaller gaps at the wedge end of your bag.  However some people are great with 1/2 & 3/4 shots and don't need as many wedges.

Personally I go PW (45) to 50, 54 & 58.  I had a prior set of irons with a 48° PW and then I played 52, 56, 60.

If you can list your current setup you may get some answers more tailored to your specific bag.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I go PW, which I think is a 47, and then 52 56 60, but lately, I have not been using my 60 much at all.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

First of all, welcome to MGS.  To answer your question, it really depends upon how you set up your bag and what kind of gaps you have/want.

Personally, I go with a 50/54/58 setup because I feel that gives me the best spacing in my wedges and flows the best with my iron set.  IMO, a 4 degree spacing is ideal.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Welcome to the forums - I'm also a Brad (great name btw). I tend to agree with badger re the 4deg gapping as a guide, but that's just because it works out well for an even distance spread (for me). I'm not confident with anything above a 58deg so go 50,54,58 with mine. I find it works in well with my set as well.

What are you using currently? 

Welcome Brad! Agree on the 4* gap. Check out the thread on testing the SCORs this year. I went with the 54 and 58 to replace Pings, but then added 50, 46 and 42 because they are awesome.

Glad you joined us. Where are you located?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Generally I carry 50, 54, 58. Like many say depends on the course. It all comes down to if I want my 5 wood in the bag along with my 20 and 23 degree hybrids. If I feel the need for the 5 wood in the bag the 50 and 54 stay home and I add the 52. Only constant is the 58.

On a side note, or perhaps exposing some sort of phobia or inability I have, I could never become truly comfortable with the 60 degree wedge. Have tried a number of times but it's just too much loft for me be effective consistently. So when I see guys with 62 or 64's in the bag I'm mesmerized. I think if I were to try a 64 degree wedge I'd fear a botched self imposed nose job.

• SPY VIP

On a side note, or perhaps exposing some sort of phobia or inability I have, I could never become truly comfortable with the 60 degree wedge. Have tried a number of times but it's just too much loft for me be effective consistently. So when I see guys with 62 or 64's in the bag I'm mesmerized. I think if I were to try a 64 degree wedge I'd fear a botched self imposed nose job.

I too fear the 60. I have one set that goes 50/55/60, and another that is 50/54/58. Typically the results with the second set are better. I think that the bounce on my 60 is just too low as it digs like a beast on full shots. Tim and I were checking out the various Hopkins grinds a couple of days ago. Set 3 may come from that direction, though the bounces and lofts still need to be ferreted out a bit more.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Fully it all depends on what you are comfortable with.  Everyone here is going to be different because we all have different swings and hit the ball different differences.  I carry a PW(46), 50, 55, 60.  I hit my PW 140, 50 118, 55 105, 60 80.  My choices were based on gapping and distance.  I have more shots in a round inside 150 yards after a drive then I do over.  So it was important for me to carry for wedges for scoring.  My dad on the other hand is a much shorter hitter and carries a PW, AW and 56.  He doesn't need the other wedges because they gap fine for him with his other clubs inside 150 yards.  Wedges and gapping wedges is used for scoring.  Getting those shorter shots close to the pin.  The pros rarely take full swings with wedges so they can control the spin and distance.  

To sum up my ramble think about the distances you want to score from and what wedges will allow you to do that.  If you have one you like build around that or build from scratch but if you aren't comfortable then it doesn't matter.   

Bag: :ping-small:  Hoofer Vantage

Driver: :ping-small:  G25 10.5 Aldila NV 65 S

3 Wood:   :cobra-small:  Fly Z+ 3 Wood 13.5*

Rescue: :adams-small:  XTD ti 18* set to 17* or  :adams-small: Pro 23* 

Irons: :callaway-small:  Apex Pro 4-PW, KBS Tour S, Standard Length and Loft, 2* flat, 

Wedges: :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 50* bent to 51*, KBS Tour S

:vokey-small: Spin Milled 56* bent to 55*

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 60* U grind KBS Tour S

Putter: :cameron-small: Futura X5 MOTO

Grips: PURE DTX Green

First off welcome to the forum. Personally I carry 46 52 56 60. Now none of my wedges are matched (for now) with either brand name or sole design and I am not just talking bounce but grind. Depending on the course I may switch around some in the wedge department but I do experiment a lot with wedges. Really it depends on your game and like Dan said it can vary a lot. The wedges are scoring clubs and save my butt clubs for me. Experiment around some and find out what works for you in loft, bounce , degrees and sole design

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Hey fullbelly and welcome.

Since you're a 2 I'm wondering why you'd ask.  You should have that part of the game pretty much under control and I'd be reluctant to make any changes if I were you based on what was said here.

I think wedge make up is a very individual thing - I'm a SCOR guy and even though that's a system I still break ranks at the bottom of the bag because carrying a 60 fits the course that I play most frequently and I'm pretty good at taking something off the 53 by gripping down and making a 3 quarter swing to cover the yardage gap.

In a perfect world I'd have more even gaps throughout the bag.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Brad,

First, welcome to the Forum. Now, It is now my current belief that the bag set up is fully dependent on the golfer and his strengths and weaknesses and the course they are playing.

For a number of years, I carried 48 pw, 52, 56, 60 & even a 64. I used the Dave Pelz Clock Method. I had driver than 4 iron. I figured I was not going to hit the green from beyond 190-200 (rarely from 140 out) anyway so I had a number of different options around the green. As I became more serious about fixing my swing issues, i became better at the longer ranges. Also, I noticed that I was using fewer and fewer wedges.

Eventually, after I became a great putter,(this is a necessary opinion) I changed my short game from the Pelz Method to the Stricker Method and the Floyd Method. Basically, I now carry just two wedges. A 52 for pitches with a little roll, and a 60 for no roll. I am able to choke down or open the face a bit to have the same thing. By convincing myself I was a great putter, and not having to get within 3 feet of the hole to make the next one. From inside 100 now, I average 8-9 feet from the hole, and I make 90% from 8 feet. (When playing well.) 

Of course, this allowed me to drop wedges and add long clubs.  For several months, the starting line up has remained the same, but the unplanned purchase of the SLDR Driver has had repercussions throughout the bag, but who knows how long that will last.

Bottom line. I see you are a 2 handicapper, but you have to ask yourself what your strengths and weaknesses are. If you aren't going to hit the green anyway, why carry a club that will cost you strokes.

Of course, for high cappers I would say never carry anything with more than 58* and less than 18* other than driver.  Even if that is just 13 clubs. Buy a chipper and save your some strokes.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I use 46..50..54..58.

I'm using 48, 52, 56 but will be changing to this ^^^ make up if I can find the SCORs on ebay.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

First of all, welcome!  I'm pretty new here as well, but have thoroughly enjoyed being a member.  Best thing I have found is that you can have and voice an opinion, and although others may disagree, its done in a civil manner.  I suppose it's because we're golfers?  Etiquette, you know.

As for the wedges, I'm certainly no teaching pro or expert, but my belief is that it's MOST important to know how far you hit each of your wedges with a normal, full swing.  That's the only way to determine what gaps you need to have comfortable full swings from as many distances as possible.  Then, you have less adjustment to do based on lie, wind, or distance.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Ha Ha Rover Rick you have done it again my sentiments exactly. Even though I am not quite as good of a putter as I used to be in my youth I still have the mentality that I can make any putt whether it is 4 ft or 40 ft.

You know you and I are going to have to get together someday and have a "putt off"

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Ha Ha Rover Rick you have done it again my sentiments exactly. Even though I am not quite as good of a putter as I used to be in my youth I still have the mentality that I can make any putt whether it is 4 ft or 40 ft.

You know you and I are going to have to get together someday and have a "putt off"

I call winner. ⛳️

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

HaHa Rev you are invited too!! I am like that little mouse in the cartoon that has his head in the vise. "Go ahead and tighten it up I work great under pressure"  :)  Get you two firing at me that will be pressure!!

G

HaHa Rev you are invited too!! I am like that little mouse in the cartoon that has his head in the vise. "Go ahead and tighten it up I work great under pressure"  :)  Get you two firing at me that will be pressure!!

Having RR and I coming after you is the antithesis of pressure.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived