Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New guy from Kalamazoo

Hey everyone, Just wanted to slip in a quick note. I am new to the site and can't wait to spend my entire winter on it. Being from Michigan our season is done. Now the winter want list grows.

John

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

Welcome!  Love the avatar!!!!

Hope you enjoy it here - fun group of people always willing to help, as you'll find out.  Don't be bashful about jumping in to discussions - we'd love to hear what you have to say!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Welcome to MGS, jmwils......this is the place to be....Winter or Summer.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Welcome to MGS!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Welcome like everyone else said feel free to offer your honest opinion or kick in your .02 as we say down South. All opinions are welcome and I guarantee that you will not get flamed or made fun of. Look they put up with me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Thanks guys! I have already found a lot of great information. I am hooked...

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm

Okay - someone's got to say it so it might as well be me - I know a gal from there......

Welcome

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Okay - someone's got to say it so it might as well be me - I know a gal from there......

Welcome

... from Michigan Rev? or from the Dark Side?

Welcome to the forum jm - a bunch of great people in here. The only dumb question is the one left unasked!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, Just wanted to slip in a quick note. I am new to the site and can't wait to spend my entire winter on it. Being from Michigan our season is done. Now the winter want list grows.

John

Welcome, John.  I'm in Lansing.  You may have spoken too soon because a couple of the courses here opened right after Christmas due to warm weather (40s).  Maybe we'll get lucky again.  If not, you may be interested to know there is an indoor driving range in Okemos with a great pro shop.  It's only about 80 yards long (range), but it helps me from losing my swing over the winter.

If you want, we should try to play a round together this spring.  Not sure if there are others on here from Michigan, but maybe we can get some kind of feedback about an outing.  It would be cool to meet some of the other spies.

Anyway, this is the best golf forum I have found.  And not everyone on here plays a 70g X-flex driver shaft or carries it 300.  There is also practically no name-calling or ridicule.  I'm sure you will like it.

Max

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

Welcome, John.  I'm in Lansing.  You may have spoken too soon because a couple of the courses here opened right after Christmas due to warm weather (40s).  Maybe we'll get lucky again.  If not, you may be interested to know there is an indoor driving range in Okemos with a great pro shop.  It's only about 80 yards long (range), but it helps me from losing my swing over the winter.

If you want, we should try to play a round together this spring.  Not sure if there are others on here from Michigan, but maybe we can get some kind of feedback about an outing.  It would be cool to meet some of the other spies.

Anyway, this is the best golf forum I have found.  And not everyone on here plays a 70g X-flex driver shaft or carries it 300.  There is also practically no name-calling or ridicule.  I'm sure you will like it.

Max

Max, from the looks of things on the weather map, you are going to get really cold. Out here in generally mild Washington, the temperature has dropped to single digits with 15 mph wind. Probably headed your way. Sorry.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Max

Hey Max! Yea I drove home from work on the 23rd and saw ONE guy out on my local course. I'm the same.. domes help keep me sane during the winter months. We have one in Schoolcraft it's only 70 yards but they have 3 simulators too.

I think a round in the spring is definitely in order. I didn't get a chance to play eagle eye last year.

I was on WRX for a while but this forum is a lot more relaxed and not judgmental like WRX tends to get. So far I really enjoy this site.

Greetings!  I'm a Michigan native as well (Greenville).  The only good thing about being unable to play golf in Kzoo due to weather is you've got Bell's to pass the time!  Enjoy MGS, it's really a blast!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Welcome! Glad you're enjoying yourself here more than WRX.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Welcome to MGS,  John, lived K-Zoo some,  being a WMU alum, B.S. in C.S. 1978-82, played some golf at Milham Park, Thornapple Creek when it had only nine holes, and Ridgeview, had a golf class there.   What a great class.

Haven't played at those places since but my friends go do a Gull Lake/Stonehedge outing once a summer.  Fun courses to play for sure.  The sun doesn't go down until 9:45 in the summer in K-Zoo, great for us golfers.

Some of the worst winters when I lived there, a Super Bowl Sunday when the 49ers and Bengals played in the Silverdome (1982?), walked four blocks for my Scooter's Double Cheese/Double Sausage pizza and nearly got froze stiff.  It snowed every day from Nov.1 to Apr. 1 every winter, I swear it, even when the sun was out.   No golf, no way.

"Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo." (got a button to prove it)

Scooter's is gone?

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

I would assume it's gone, I've never heard of it! Where was it?

Milham is my home track. My buddy is the apprentice there. A lot of great new courses around if you ever get back here. Play Angels Crossing in Vicksburg

Go Broncos!

I would assume it's gone, I've never heard of it! Where was it?

Milham is my home track. My buddy is the apprentice there. A lot of great new courses around if you ever get back here. Play Angels Crossing in Vicksburg

Go Broncos!

There was two Scooter's that I remember patronizing, one around Westnedge and Vine, the other was on W. Main north of the Valley dorms.   Maybe I got the name wrong, my brain has been deluged with a lot of beer bubbles over the years.  It wasn't Bilbos, wasn't Dominos, those the other main pizza sources back in the day.

I went back to Kalamazoo in 2011, my son had a weekend soccer tournament in Portage, and I had a chance to drive around campus, I was shocked how everything had changed.   I was in search of Galley Sub and I thought I found it, parked the car, walked up to the door and it was locked, there was a note on the door from the owners that they had decided to close after over 40 years of operation.  I went back to my car, drove to Waldo's and cried in my beer.   Damn, those were good subs.

Angels Crossing, hope to get there one day. Thanks and Happy New Year

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

Hello, This is a great straight forward site. Also being from the midwest, this is the closest to golf I get for 4 more months. 

What's in the Bag

Bag- Sun Mountian 

Driver - Callaway Rouge 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow
Fairway wood - Ping G15 3 wood

Hybrid - Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 19* 
Irons - Callaway XR 5-PW
Wedges - Cleveland 588-RTX 52* 56* 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 - SuperStroke Wrist lock Grip

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, I moved to SC from Buchanan, Mi.

I have many family members who live in around the Kalamazoo area, if I make it up that way this summer I might have to look you up. My brother and nephew worked at thorn apple creek last summer, that should be close to you.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Sounds great! Thornapple is a great track

They do a Tuesday men's captains choice in the morning for 25 bucks with lunch after , you should check that out sometime in the summer, when we played it was cold and rainy, 49 and under played from blue, and 50-64 played whites and 65 and over played front, with it being really wet the ball didn't go anywhere on the ground so it played much tougher than it should have. It was fun anyway,

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived