Sign in to follow this  
Deuce

Club fitting question

So I received a free club fitting for Christmas. Very excited about it! The fitting is at a country club and they sell a specific brand of clubs, so the fitting will no doubt be aimed at those clubs. The pro is also a licensed fitter for that brand. My question is ...it is reasonable to assume that can I take those specs (loft, lie, shafts, etc) and apply it towards a different brand if I decide not to go with the brand that the CC deals with, right? 

You'll probably get answers both ways, but my vote is absolutely yes.  Someone paid for that fitting and that is the compensation the Pro is getting for completing that fitting.  I'm sure he would love the additional business if you did order from him, but you are not obligated to do so.

I good fitter should give you plenty of options both from a new equipment standpoint and also recommendations on altering your existing clubs to better fit you.  The bottom line though is you should be able to take those specs anywhere you want for the club purchase.

To me it's kind of like the eye doctor.  They will fit you for glasses and give you your prescription.  Most of them also sell glasses and they love it when you do buy from them, but you are also welcome to take that prescription elsewhere and buy whatever you would like.

• Like 2

Thanks for this.  I do have a new (to me) set of clubs, and knowing how I can get them fit better for my game is something that I would be interested in doing. I don't know if I plan to stick with them forever (I'm a golfer, I'm addicted to shiny new clubs) but knowing they are fit to my current game would be nice. Hopefully this guy is a good fitter ... I will find out soon enough! 

Well, after taking a couple lessons to work on grooving my existing swing.

You can take the same specs, maybe, and make them work. Different types of irons will perform differently. Such as SGI vs GI vs players clubs. Then there's headweight and loft to consider which can effect how different shafts perform. If anything, I'd ask for length and lie angle for sure and make sure you get a grip fitting as well. Those two would be the most transferable.

• Like 2

When you get fit for lie make a note of it if you do decide to take the fitting information and buy a different brand. Often times different manufacturers will have different lie angles. For example, you might be fitted 1* upright in say a set of Mizuno irons whereas if you got fit for Ping irons you might be 2* upright just because there is no set standard lie angle. You can easily take your information and look up the specs of the irons you get fitted on and compare them to the specs of other irons you may want to purchase to make sure you get the appropriate lie angle.

• Like 2

All good advice here.  If you chose to go elsewhere, make sure you know the specs of the irons you were fit with.  One brands standards will most likely be different from anothers.

Rookie  hit it dead square in the screws with what he said. That is exactly what I was going to tell you.  But as usual I was late to the party

8802 also gave you some solid advice. When I am bending up clubs for someone I let them swing the club on my lie board and go from there. I am not concerned about what stock lie is I refer to total degree of lie. I can give you an example for me. I set all my wedges for me at 64* now with Infiniti brand that is 1* upright to stock specs. The only time I refer to stock numbers is on loft because with some clubs due to the design if you bend up you can alter the bounce especially with wedges. The other time I forgot about stock numbers was if someone is selling clubs and want them set back to stock loft and lie then I have to look up the specs and do it from there. With the design of some clubs you have to be careful with how much you are changing the lie because you can create toe or heel drag

I keep a chart of my lie angles, in degrees, and I build all my own clubs and have them bent. I always start at my lie angle numbers and if any adjustments are needed, they're generally minor. I have had some variance depending on the iron head and shaft (though I generally play the DG TI S400, I've tried other shafts).

Rookie I am surprised that you do not have your own loft and lie machine. Like you I keep track of what my clubs are set at especially wedges because I mess with the wedges quite a bit and have quite a few of them. I also keep records of some of the clubs I do for friends. LOL I have one friend who trades clubs so much I have a whole notebook on him. I got to give him credit though when he comes over and wants a set bent he has already printed the spec sheet for that particular model of club. this year so far the talley is at 15 different sets but the year is not quite over yet

• Like 1

Rookie I am surprised that you do not have your own loft and lie machine. Like you I keep track of what my clubs are set at especially wedges because I mess with the wedges quite a bit and have quite a few of them. I also keep records of some of the clubs I do for friends. LOL I have one friend who trades clubs so much I have a whole notebook on him. I got to give him credit though when he comes over and wants a set bent he has already printed the spec sheet for that particular model of club. this year so far the talley is at 15 different sets but the year is not quite over yet

That man is a Ho's Ho!

I don't really classify him as a HO because he does not hold on to them like I do. He may keep maybe one set for backup but that is it. He mostly sells and trades on fleabay or Craigs List. I don't think he makes any money on them though but he does not care. He is probably a 30 hdcp and he is going to play the same no matter what he hits. I guess it is his way of having fun so that is ok

• Like 2

I don't buy a lot of clubs, but somehow I have ended up with a lot of them! I guess I don't like to get rid of them, but when I think I should dump some of them, I see they aren't worth anything so why bother. Every once in awhile I will go through my "collection" and say, "Did I really play these?"

I don't buy a lot of clubs, but somehow I have ended up with a lot of them! I guess I don't like to get rid of them, but when I think I should dump some of them, I see they aren't worth anything so why bother. Every once in awhile I will go through my "collection" and say, "Did I really play these?"

I do the same thing. Most of the time I'll give the odd ones to friends who need them. I figure it's better to pass it along to someone who will use it than to get 10 bucks trading it in.

I do the same thing. Most of the time I'll give the odd ones to friends who need them. I figure it's better to pass it along to someone who will use it than to get 10 bucks trading it in.

Exactly, I have actually put together a set or two for friends that showed up without clubs and wanted to play. They don't play a lot and most likely my old clubs are newer than theirs!

Another way to put some retired clubs to good use is donations to First Tee and the Boys & Girls Clubs.  Our local Boys & Girls Club started a "Golf for Fun" program last year and I donated most of my "club museum" to them, after my local fitter cut down the shafts and we re-gripped them.

The expressions on those kids faces when they saw the clubs was priceless!

• Like 3

Reason I don't have a loft/lie machine is I had a buddy that worked at the PGA TSS that bent everything for me for free and he's the only person I ever let touch my clubs. He had all his certifications but when he graduated college he went to work and is using his degree. So now I don't have him there any more lol.

Reason I don't have a loft/lie machine is I had a buddy that worked at the PGA TSS that bent everything for me for free and he's the only person I ever let touch my clubs. He had all his certifications but when he graduated college he went to work and is using his degree. So now I don't have him there any more lol.

In that case, I hope Santa place a loft/lie machine under your tree!

In that case, I hope Santa place a loft/lie machine under your tree!

Santa spent his money on the kids. Lol

• Like 2

Santa spent his money on the kids. Lol

Much more important!

But I would be looking for another buddy...