Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Ben Hogan Irons from Eidolon Golf

jbil8802

Rev I'm with you on labeling with lofts. It took some time for me to adjust to it with my 50 and 54. The 45 and 58 weren't a problem. If I had a whole set like that I'd probably have to put labels on them with distances and go by that.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that's interesting. I have 42, 46, 50, 54, and 58. I have no problem whatsoever. I know exactly what each one does when I hit it well. I just don't see a difference between these wedges and the 5, 6, 7, 8 irons except an extra number on them.

Maybe it's a numbers thing. I majored in math in college until I switched to nuclear chemistry. Doesn't bother me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If I'm not mistaken, the MM prototypes, which also pre-sold on a reservation system, sold out IMMEDIATELY.   They had to turn people away.  So taking the $500 and getting a head count isn't a bad idea and Terry probably knows this.   The new model is to not over-produce a crap-load of clubs and try to jam them into retail.   It's to try to make just enough, leave a little unsatisfied demand and no overstock, then fill orders as you go.

I look at the specification of lofts in a different way.   When I switched to Scors, I already had my gaps established by my set and I wanted my Scor replacements to go the exact same distances.   All I had to do to achieve this was match the shaft as closely as I could, cut it to the same length and then choose the same loft as the club I'm trying to replace.   I did this and the average distances proved to be identical, with less variation for distance in the Scors. 

So I know exactly what I want in the Hogan 5, 6, 7, and 8.  If they won't sell me the right loft, I'll have them bent assuming I can start no more than one or two degrees off.   The unknown factor in the equation is:  Will the Hogans be a traditionally lofted set or a more aggressive modern lofted set?  

A traditional set runs more like 21, 24, 27, 31, 35, 39, 43, 47 in the 3 thru PW.   A more modern strong lofted set might go  20, 23, 26, 30, 33, 37,  41, 46.   My GI Speedblades go 17, 20, 23, 26.5, 30.5, 35.5, 39.5, 45 thru the same range.   Jacked lofts is why my SB 3 iron goes 240, it's really a 1.5 iron under the traditional system.   So if I want to match Hogan lofts to my current lofts, I might find that the new Hogan 8 is 39 degrees and my SB 8 is 35.5.   I might have to bend a Hogan 7 weak .5 degree to get a match!

That's why I'm watching the offering and hope I can specify lofts.  Otherwise, I could have NO 8 iron in my bag.   I'm less worried about the shafts.   They'll pick a good shaft.  The Genius 10 (KBS Tour 90) is a fine match for my set shafts.   I'll stick with it.

Anyway, if all these delicate Hogan match-ups go to hell, I have a bail-out.   The v-soled Srixons are lofted at 25, 28, 32, and 36 in that target range I need for a 5-8 iron.   I can bend them all a degree strong and be pretty close to what I've got.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

There were pics and techno-babble about centering the sweetspot on the MMs long before release. It gave buyers the knowledge to make an informed buying decision. The MMs had the reach of the entire marketing team of Nike Golf. If anyone can get away with an unseen limited launch with a significant reservation deposit it would have been the Swoosh.

I get the deposit is refundable, if the money is truly just going to sit in a bank account while production is running then it will just cause more trouble than it's worth when you do refunds. I have a feeling the money will get used, whether for marketing, distribution, or something else.

Not putting down Scor/Hogan. I'm a huge fan of that sole grind as far back as the Cobra Forged SS. I plan to get 545s which have that sole grind as well.

The Scor wedges were soundly marketed for the product that they were. Scoring weapons for guys who could control their short irons well.

Just trying to figure out why a company would need such a huge deposit (which probably covers the cost of production) and asking it for an unseen and unknown product.

Heck just mentioning that these are Endo forged (IF they are) would probably have 20-30 deposits made over on WRX alone. Not even that, unless I missed it somewhere.

I have to agree with what many have said on here. I don't see putting down cash money on something I have not seen yet. With me though I have to literally feel and see the club in my hands to make a purchase decision. Now I will say that there is one person that if he tells me I will like a club then he is 99% correct.

Now about the cash flow deal with SCOR I am not qualified to make a comment on that so I will not and I do not know anything about mass marketing either . I will leave those comments to those better qualified to make them than I am and just go along with the flow and read.

I did make my recent purchase of the Wishon heads sight unseen live. This is the first time I have ever done this though. I do have assurances that I will like them though or I can return them for a free refund.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Lots here but @ Kenny I have no issue knowing how far I hit each club once I have the club in hand and frankly I can tell the difference between the 44 and the 48 at address.

My concern is a pace of play thing. Perhaps all of you are more meticulous than I. I almost always ride when I play so I'm often pulling two, sometimes 3 clubs from my bag to walk over to the ball. I don't always put those clubs back in the right spot. Once I get to the ball with the wrong club I will know but it could be that I'm a long way from the cart and too lazy to go back. :)

In the end if it's lofts only I would adjust.

I'm with Mark on what I want it will either be 5,6,7,8 or 6,7,8,9 depending on the lofts - I have super jacked lofts on my irons - my concern there is if they just go by loft what will I do. I guess I will cross that bridge once we know.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm thinking they will have a gi iron (with stronger lofts) and a player's iron offering. I can't imagine a company only putting out 1 set of irons and alienating a whole other spectrum of golfers. They will probably be close to what Mizuno offers which is fine. I too could not justify putting down $500 on a set I have not seen and have no idea what the finish price could be. For the guys who intend on putting this money down, I hope you know what you are doing.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I think if I didn't just buy S55s in 5-9 I would do it. Mostly just to do a review for the guys here. But I also don't have kids to worry about yet which helps my golf budget. I'm still kicking around the idea solely based off my SCORs.

SO my WIFE just gave me the great news!  she has given me the $500 deposit towards the new Hogans to fill my SCOR set.  

i'm so excited!   yeah, it sucks without being able to see it, but if they perform like the SCOR, life will be good.  I was told that this offer was only available to past SCOR owners and they will be releasing a new website and offering this to everyone who has been put on this reservation line.  

also told that it launches on Jan 20th and we get to see the 19th which states in the letter there.  Barry did not say, but implied because of everyone wanting the product this is simply to test the market with previous SCOR owners and save a spot in the production line as they might be afraid they cannot fill all orders once launched.  We will see, but I'll be one of the first and post photos on the 19th!

driver -  Titleist 913D3 8.5 Diamana Black X 72g 
hybrid -  Adams IDEA Pro A7 17 degree
irons -   Ben Hogan 3-8 APEX FTX 
scoring clubs - SCOR4161 43, 47, 51, 55, 59
putter -  Odyssey Tour Black #2
ball -  Titleist ProV1x

I'm thinking they will have a gi iron (with stronger lofts) and a player's iron offering. I can't imagine a company only putting out 1 set of irons and alienating a whole other spectrum of golfers. They will probably be close to what Mizuno offers which is fine. I too could not justify putting down $500 on a set I have not seen and have no idea what the finish price could be. For the guys who intend on putting this money down, I hope you know what you are doing.

With all due respect I don't think they will. Their premise will be that they can build as much forgiveness into a players club as is found in a GI club.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

With all due respect I don't think they will. Their premise will be that they can build as much forgiveness into a players club as is found in a GI club.

I suspect you're right.  I don't expect them to offer different categories of irons. 

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I expect one line of somewhat progressive muscle cavity players irons myself.   Too expensive to offer multiple sets immediately.   To not offer a true MB blade set will piss off a few folks who will poo-poo anything but a Hogan blade, but the numbers of guys who actually play blades are soooo smal that it's better to piss them off and not to alienate the lesser players of a certain age who might actually buy a playable set of Hogans.

I just pulled the trigger on the reservation and here's why:

1. I'm a club ho. The first step is always admitting that you have a problem.

2. I got paid today. This is always secondary to being a club ho but worked out nicely.

3. I've never owned forged irons and I want to.

4. I love SCOR and I love Ben Hogan and I have big expectations.

5. You only live once, right?

6. It's Christmas. Merry Christmas to me.

I will update you guys as soon as I get updates. So far I received the email confirmation of the order and that's it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to sit here and eat the very words that I started this thread with.

jbil, I like it.

I honestly think they will be excellent clubs. Glad you went for it.

I would but I am not confident that they will be "right" for me. I can only hope.

As stated above, I think they will be somewhat similar to the SCORs which is positive because they are so easy to hit and control for blades. Why would they change?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The closer they are to Scor's, the happier I will be!  

hogan scor.jpg

jbil, I'm envious and anxious to follow along with the updates as you get them. I would really, really like to pull the trigger on these as well. At least I think I would. I just don't think new clubs are in the forecast for 2015.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the "sneak peek" email. There's not much that needs to be said. Here are the pictures.

Hogan Email.png

Hogan Irons.png

Hogan Wedges.png

Hogan Grip.png

You can see the Perimeter weighting with this:

PerimeterWeighting_3Clubs.png

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

You can see the Perimeter weighting with this:

PerimeterWeighting_3Clubs.png

That's a very good graphic to demonstrate how the muscle moves in subtle, but important ways.

It's an impressive site -

The issue for me will be cost - I play graphite, easy enough for me to see that although they've changed the name a bit the graphite offering is the same UST shaft as I have in my SCORs and that shaft works well for me.  I have a heavier steel shaft in my 60 which works great as my sand iron (most of the time - if I have a longer bunker shot I'll go with the 53). 

But I have irons that work well for me after the SCORs stop.  I also don't carry any iron longer than a 6 - okay so it would have been a strong 5 back in the day but it has a 6 stamped on it.  Regardless if I wanted to go Hogan I would need 4 irons - something like 40, 36, 32, 29 - If they are $165 a throw I can't see justifying it just for the looks and particularly I couldn't see justifying it without testing them vs. my gamer - say 32 vs. the one stamped 7 in my set.  As it is I bag my Wilson P rather than the SCOR 44 - They were about even when I did the testing but I find the Wilson easier to hit - psychologically at least.  Again the SCOR held up well enough head to head.

Bottom line I'd love to hit one of those mid-irons to see if it performs like a GI club.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I think the irons look great, but agree with most that at this price point they may be a difficult sell.  I own 3 Scor wedges, and know that they offered discounts over time.  I'd be interested in gaming an iron to transition between the Apex Pros I play and my Wilson hybrid.  These have the same KBS Tour-V as my Apex Pro, so could be a nice fit.

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

It's an impressive site -

The issue for me will be cost - I play graphite, easy enough for me to see that although they've changed the name a bit the graphite offering is the same UST shaft as I have in my SCORs and that shaft works well for me.  I have a heavier steel shaft in my 60 which works great as my sand iron (most of the time - if I have a longer bunker shot I'll go with the 53). 

But it's not the exactly the same shaft.  I play the Genius 9 graphite shaft in my SCORs.  It's equivalent to a UST ProForce 95, which apparently has been discontinued since it doesn't show up on the UST website anymore.  Your Genius 7 is the ProForce 75 and it's still up.  I've talked with their shaft guy at Hogan, and based on info on the Hogan site, the irons will be offered in the UST Recoil graphite.  How different are they?  Don't have a clue.  The Recoil is a good shaft, but I just don't know if I will be able to tell any difference between them.  So, before I can commit, I have to try it.  Where???  Don't know, but they say some places not yet named.  

This is a fitting nightmare. Imagine having to carry every loft in inventory. This isn't a set that you can just stock a 6 iron and change shafts. Some guy may want to experiment with 3* gaps, 4* gaps or 5* gaps. Who wants to order those blind?

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

This is a fitting nightmare. Imagine having to carry every loft in inventory. This isn't a set that you can just stock a 6 iron and change shafts. Some guy may want to experiment with 3* gaps, 4* gaps or 5* gaps. Who wants to order those blind?

From what they told me, they don't want anyone ordering blind. They want to work with pros and fitters and make sure one gets set up properly with the right lofts and gaps.  Pros and fitters wouldn't stock anything other than their fitting and demo irons...all orders will be custom built back in Fort Worth.  I'd think a good fitter could make the proper recommendations after trying all the options. Ordering online would be a different animal...not sure I would do it unless I was pretty certain of what I wanted.

I don't think this is a recipe for world domination, but they should be able to carve out the niche they're looking for, I would think.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

From what they told me, they don't want anyone ordering blind. They want to work with pros and fitters and make sure one gets set up properly with the right lofts and gaps. Pros and fitters wouldn't stock anything other than their fitting and demo irons...all orders will be custom built back in Fort Worth. I'd think a good fitter could make the proper recommendations after trying all the options. Ordering online would be a different animal...not sure I would do it unless I was pretty certain of what I wanted.

I don't think this is a recipe for world domination, but they should be able to carve out the niche they're looking for, I would think.

That's worrisome. Who gets fit by their golf pro in today's world? And as far as fitters go, that seems cutthroat behind the scenes. A local fitter just killed the Nike contract over margins. How is hogan going to compete with that?

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

That's worrisome. Who gets fit by their golf pro in today's world? And as far as fitters go, that seems cutthroat behind the scenes. A local fitter just killed the Nike contract over margins. How is hogan going to compete with that?

From what I heard, pros and fitters might be rather happy with the margins, especially compared with other OEM's.  We shall see...one thing there's no denying, the clubs felt awfully nice.  It will be interesting to see how the business model plays out, but it certainly seems as thought their goal is to stay premium.  As the Zen Master once said, "we'll see..."

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

They look AWESOME. I was blown away with the looks and reactions.

I gotta upload my first shot with them onto YouTube and post it here...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Here you go...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

That's about as good as a reaction as you can get!

Archived