Sign in to follow this  
Undershooter

How much will bending an iron affect how it plays?

Hi all, I was wondering if bending a club 2* strong would affect the playability of said club? I know that for every degree strong I bend it, it will take a degree off the bounce. How will that affect it though? I'm guessing it will dig more but how much more? The club only has .5 degrees of bounce as it is. Any knowledge on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks,

G

Sounds like it's a long iron. You won't notice it. I've had plenty of clubs bent a degree or two and never had an issue with how the clubs performed, even a wedge. I've never had a sand wedge bent, I suppose that could be an issue but if you open the blade a bit the bounce comes back.

• Like 1

In the grand scheme of things, I would say zero effect. And here is why. By setting up with the ball 1" farther back in your stance, and all other things being exactly the same you are delofting the club by 1.6* based on the average length club..

The swing is dynamic and I seriously doubt that I can hit two balls on the course exactly the same, with my body being exactly in the same position every time. If my hands are 2" farther back or forward at impact that is + or - 3*. 3" = 4.6* and 6" = 9.2* change in loft.

I did the math on these numbers years ago when I had an early release and wondering why I could not hit the irons very far. I found it astonishing that by moving my hands that much forward at impact gain nearly 30 yards.

Now as lower handicappers, we will probably not have our hands at impact fluctuating 3, 4 or 6 inches, but I would not say mine are within an inch of exactly the same place every time. Uneven lies can vary more than an inch, and based on club geometry that is 1.6* right there, and I can't say I had much effect on the playability of the club.

If you have any doubt about the hand position, think of this scenario. (I ran into this today.) I was 50 yards out on the 3rd hole, and was in the moguls. Because of my forward foot was so much above my trail foot, my hands were a good 6" behind the ball, when compared to a level lie. So I hit my standard 50 yard pitch with a 54* wedge.  However, in reality it was now a 63* wedge so what happened. The ball came out much higher and shorter, just like you would expect from a 63*. I should have made the same swing with a 9 iron, to compensate for the lie, but did not.

So, it is my contention that conditions on the course often vary much more than changing the dynamics of a club by a degree or two.

• Like 4

Like you said, it will change the bounce but other than that, it wont change much and shouldnt effect the playability of the club unless you are really steep and need the bounce.

I will add a little to what was posted above. It depends on several factors including as mentioned above how steep your swing is and if you are a "digger" or "picker". Club design of a particular club can be a factor also. Offset degrees especially with a long iron can be a factor along with sole design. One good example comes to mind. Using like say an Older Macgregor blade butter knife with a thin sharp leading edge on the sole if you deloft more than 1 degree or so you have a chance of digging to China. Now if you take some of the modern GI irons with the thick sole and rounded leading edge (Infiniti brand Assure comes to mind) you can de loft or strong loft it 3 or 4 degrees with no problem at all. If jacking with strong lofting one you need to have a good fitter/ instructor work with you on your model suggestion and what will fit your swing. One other thing is that some clubs are designed from the factory strong lofted to begin with Taylor Made GI irons are a good example of this. I do know a typical modern club the PW has the loft of like an older blade 8 iron.  Hope I did not complicate this any and maybe helped you

Lots of good comments here. You don't say what club it is, but Rev said it sounds like a long iron and I agree. A long iron doesn't have much bounce anyway since it was made to not take a big divot. Not going to dig any more than normal.

• Like 1

Bounce follows loft in a 1:1 ratio.  So you bend them 1 degree strong, bounce follows it by a degree.  So going 2 strong will remove 2 degrees of bounce.  If you bend lie, you will effect swingweight.

Hi everyone, sorry for the slow reply! Everyone's comments are super helpful! You are also all correct in that it is a long iron. Well driving iron to be exact. It is a taylormade udi 2i that I want to bend from 18* to 16*. I already have a udi 2i and am too cheap to buy a 1i to replace it. I dont want the extra length added to the shaft plus the x7 2i shaft I have for it is the last x7 shaft i have. Would bending it serve the same result?

Enjoyed the swing insight as well guys!

Hi everyone, sorry for the slow reply! Everyone's comments are super helpful! You are also all correct in that it is a long iron. Well driving iron to be exact. It is a taylormade udi 2i that I want to bend from 18* to 16*. I already have a udi 2i and am too cheap to buy a 1i to replace it. I dont want the extra length added to the shaft plus the x7 2i shaft I have for it is the last x7 shaft i have. Would bending it serve the same result?

Enjoyed the swing insight as well guys!

If you're after a driving iron, I would expect you to use it off the tee for the most part. The bounce will be irrelevant to begin with in that case anyway.

If you're after a driving iron, I would expect you to use it off the tee for the most part. The bounce will be irrelevant to begin with in that case anyway.

I would be using it off the ground as well, a little of both. I am a good long iron player and prefer them over fairway woods and especially hybrids. Played a mp30 2i for most of the year as a gap from my 3i to my 3 wood. The sole on that thing is tiny compared to any driving iron and I still had no trouble hitting it off the deck. 

"If you have any doubt about the hand position, think of this scenario. (I ran into this today.) I was 50 yards out on the 3rd hole, and was in the moguls. Because of my forward foot was so much above my trail foot, my hands were a good 6" behind the ball, when compared to a level lie. So I hit my standard 50 yard pitch with a 54* wedge.  However, in reality it was now a 63* wedge so what happened. The ball came out much higher and shorter, just like you would expect from a 63*. I should have made the same swing with a 9 iron, to compensate for the lie, but did not."

Absolutely GREAT analogy RoverRick. Couldn't agree more with your entire post.

Bounce follows loft in a 1:1 ratio.  So you bend them 1 degree strong, bounce follows it by a degree.  So going 2 strong will remove 2 degrees of bounce.  If you bend lie, you will effect swingweight.

I knew that bounce and loft have a 1:1 ratio but never thought that changing lie angle would affect swingweight but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the insight!

It will also increase the offset of the club, not a huge amount, but at two degrees, it is noticeable to me.

It will also increase the offset of the club, not a huge amount, but at two degrees, it is noticeable to me.

Didn't think of that. I dont like alot of offset so that changes things a little

I would be using it off the ground as well, a little of both. I am a good long iron player and prefer them over fairway woods and especially hybrids. Played a mp30 2i for most of the year as a gap from my 3i to my 3 wood. The sole on that thing is tiny compared to any driving iron and I still had no trouble hitting it off the deck.

Yea if that's the case, you won't have an issue with bounce.

Strengthening the loft should decrease the effective offset shouldn't it? It would increase if you added loft.

Strengthening the loft should decrease the effective offset shouldn't it? It would increase if you added loft.

This makes more sense to me. Anyone else?

Strengthening adds offset, the sole of the club is effectively moved back, the hosel is fixed, therefore the leading edge of the sole moves away from the ball, adding offset.

Strengthening adds offset, the sole of the club is effectively moved back, the hosel is fixed, therefore the leading edge of the sole moves away from the ball, adding offset.

I see your point, but the area the ball makes contact with moves forward in relation to the hosel when strengthening the loft. That's how I was looking at it.

That is only if the area you are going to contact the ball moves up on the face as a result of bending, the lower portion of the face will move backwards when bent strong.