Sign in to follow this  
Undershooter

How much will bending an iron affect how it plays?

I don't think I could see a difference in offset from a 2* stronger loft in a driving iron.

I may not be able to either. But I never even thought of offset changing. I appreciate all the info. Its changed the club alot more than I thought it would.

Intrigued by your debate, I did a little virtual bending experiment with a Taylormade UDI in Photoshop.   Below, you'll see the results.

Since clubs are bent with iron bars by applying pressure on the top halves of the hosels, this effectively bends or curves the hosel about midway.  Results of where exactly the hosel bends will vary by club type and manufacturer, but you get the idea.   To decrease loft, you have to bend the hosel and shaft back, and when you do this, the club face tilts forward when the club is returned to vertical at address.

You can see this in my graphic below.

bentudi.jpg

You can also see that the offset does in fact increase ever so slightly in this UDI's case, thanks to the hosel bend.   That's because the leading edge of the club is furthest away from the bend point in the hosel.   The more the club is bent, the more the leading edge moves back.  

Also the sole bounce decreases, although when this UDI is hit off a tee this would make no difference.  

Curiously, the impact position on the clubface doesn't really change much at all.  Or the change, if there is one, is so small I can't really see it.

And of course, changes in the AoA of the user's swing will dramatically affect all of the above.

For what it's worth.

• Like 2

Intrigued by your debate, I did a little virtual bending experiment with a Taylormade UDI in Photoshop. Below, you'll see the results.

Since clubs are bent with iron bars by applying pressure on the top halves of the hosels, this effectively bends or curves the hosel about midway. Results of where exactly the hosel bends will vary by club type and manufacturer, but you get the idea. To decrease loft, you have to bend the hosel and shaft back, and when you do this, the club face tilts forward when the club is returned to vertical at address.

You can see this in my graphic below.

bentudi.jpg

You can also see that the offset does in fact increase ever so slightly in this UDI's case, thanks to the hosel bend. That's because the leading edge of the club is furthest away from the bend point in the hosel. The more the club is bent, the more the leading edge moves back.

Also the sole bounce decreases, although when this UDI is hit off a tee this would make no difference.

Curiously, the impact position on the clubface doesn't really change much at all. Or the change, if there is one, is so small I can't really see it.

And of course, changes in the AoA of the user's swing will dramatically affect all of the above.

For what it's worth.

Good job, makes sense. Easy to picture like that.

I'm interested in hearing how this bent UDI 2 is actually performing for Undershooter.  I bought a UDI 3 to compare against my current Speedblades 3 that I only hit off of tees.   Sadly, these two clubs' specs were SOOOOO different that I gave up the comparison before I ever hit the UDI.  I resold it, meaning to get a UDI 2, which I've never done.  

The UDI 3 was 20 degrees, had a very small head, and was over an inch shorter than the SB 3.  I couldn't see how it could possibily go as far or be as easy to hit as the 17 degree SB 3.  Even if I got the UDI 2, I'd still have to bend it a degree strong and probably swap or extend the shaft.   Too much work.   What I wanted is a long piercing flight that stays under the wind for those linksy shots or courses when I have to control something off the tee to about 240.   I've used that SB 3 a lot this winter.   I would say that it is also a good candidate for a driving iron, but the RBlades or SB 3 irons are just as hard to find and expensive to buy as UDI's, so it doesn't matter.

Absolutely wonderful picture and explanation Markb! Very cool of you to do that. Sadly most of this conversation is a wash for me other than the knowledge because my buddy who I got the UDI from decided to play Indian giver and sell it to someone else instead of taking the trade he had accepted. I may still end up doing this though because I can't seem to find the 16* for near the price as the 18*. I'm going to be buying one regardless and will be reshafting it with my x7 2i shaft regardless as well. If I cannot find a UDI 1i for low enough cost then it looks like I will be getting the 2 and bending it. Either way I will let everyone know what happens in the next week. The entire discussion has improved my insight on what bending a club will do to not only the loft but how it plays. Thanks again!

Have you looked into a Mizuno h5 1 iron. I believe brand new it's only 125.

That Callaway X Utility Prototype might be a good fit. I had one in 16° and liked it. I did a trade on that one myself and never received what I traded for unfortunately. If I still had it I would offer it to you to try. It has a hot face and is great off the tee or turf. It has a good sole design to get through the turf without getting caught up in it. You may want to try one out if you can find one.

Have you looked into a Mizuno h5 1 iron. I believe brand new it's only 125.

I have not but will look into it. Thanks for the suggestion! How does it compare to the udi? Have you gotten to hit both?

That Callaway X Utility Prototype might be a good fit. I had one in 16° and liked it. I did a trade on that one myself and never received what I traded for unfortunately. If I still had it I would offer it to you to try. It has a hot face and is great off the tee or turf. It has a good sole design to get through the turf without getting caught up in it. You may want to try one out if you can find one.

Gave it a thought but the looks threw me off. I would prefer to have something that looks like an iron. Preferably a players iron but beggars can't be choosers 😀. I will try one out though if I can find one. Thanks again.

I see a 16 degree UDI 1 iron selling right now on ebay thru 3 balls for $56.   SB 3 irons (17 degrees) are $99 bucks.   There is a good Rocketbladez 3 iron (18 degrees) for only $36 bucks.  

• Like 1

I have not but will look into it. Thanks for the suggestion! How does it compare to the udi? Have you gotten to hit both?

I have hit both, the UDI off of grass and the H5 in the store, I would give a slight edge to the H5 cause it has a bit of a thinner sole which I prefer.

I have hit both, the UDI off of grass and the H5 in the store, I would give a slight edge to the H5 cause it has a bit of a thinner sole which I prefer.

Really? I would've guessed the other way around judging by pictures. That makes me lean toward the h5 as well. Were the numbers any different between the two?

Really? I would've guessed the other way around judging by pictures. That makes me lean toward the h5 as well. Were the numbers any different between the two?

No LM stats. The UDI was OK but the c-taper lite shaft didn't pair well with my swing.

No LM stats. The UDI was OK but the c-taper lite shaft didn't pair well with my swing.

It wouldn't do well with mine either. What shaft did you try the h5 in? Also which top line was thicker?

It wouldn't do well with mine either. What shaft did you try the h5 in? Also which top line was thicker?

Both had c-taper lites. I'd say the UDI has the thicker of the 2

Both had c-taper lites. I'd say the UDI has the thicker of the 2

Thanks man! I'm gonna see if I can find one of these to hit and then pull the trigger on it.

Update: My options locally are slim so I checked out Edwin watts and while they didn't carry the 1i in either club, I compared the udi 2i to the mph5 3i. The top line was close to the same size on both but the sole of the club was much larger on the mph5. You could also see the back of the mph5 where you could not on the udi. I liked both clubs but preferred the udi. I still can't find one on the cheap so I decided to order an mph5 with the specs and shaft I prefered from 2nd swing. Paid 125 and it shipped free so I'm looking forward to putting it in the bag. Now I have to decide which wedge to take out.

Update: My options locally are slim so I checked out Edwin watts and while they didn't carry the 1i in either club, I compared the udi 2i to the mph5 3i. The top line was close to the same size on both but the sole of the club was much larger on the mph5. You could also see the back of the mph5 where you could not on the udi. I liked both clubs but preferred the udi. I still can't find one on the cheap so I decided to order an mph5 with the specs and shaft I prefered from 2nd swing. Paid 125 and it shipped free so I'm looking forward to putting it in the bag. Now I have to decide which wedge to take out.

I'd lean towards the PW or GW depending on which you use more and gapping