Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Increasing Angle Of Attack

Like any variable math problem couldn't it be extrapolated or solved if you had the proper set of other numbers?  I don't know what those would be but there have to be some that allow you to figure launch angle.

In the end of you are maximizing the distance for your ball speed you know that you have a positive AoA - isn't that the case?

There are lots of charts floating around that show what to expect for a given ball speed based upon differing launch angles and spin rates.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

BTW guys, I was able to get on a launch monitor.   I hit about 10 shots with my Nike SQ Tour 10.5 degree driver.   I got around 16 degree of launch angle.  The LM doesn't give an angle of attack reading.  How do you estimate the AoA from this launch angle data?  Is this a positive angle of attack? 

That depends on your dynamic loft at impact. Launch angle alone can't tell you what your attack angle is.

Agree with Blade about the dynamic loft.  

Several factors are involved.  Besides driver loft and AoA, there is ball speed, spin rate and where you hit it on the driver face.  My pro has a low AoA, maybe even slightly negative, but his launch angle is not low (visually speaking here).  I think he generates a lot of spin and hits it high on the club face.

You haven't given any spin rate numbers, so I would look for another launch monitor that has spin and AoA.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Like any variable math problem couldn't it be extrapolated or solved if you had the proper set of other numbers? I don't know what those would be but there have to be some that allow you to figure launch angle.

In the end of you are maximizing the distance for your ball speed you know that you have a positive AoA - isn't that the case?

There are lots of charts floating around that show what to expect for a given ball speed based upon differing launch angles and spin rates.

It can definitely be solved with more information. Asking for angle of attack while providing no data beyond launch angle is like asking someone what the angles of a triangle are based on the length of one side. It could be anything.

Best way to increase angle of attack: grab a crappy driver, tee the ball high, make sure no one is watching, keep swinging until you find a grove coming up at the ball. Slowly tee the ball further down until you are at a normal height.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Agree with Blade about the dynamic loft.  

Several factors are involved.  Besides driver loft and AoA, there is ball speed, spin rate and where you hit it on the driver face.  My pro has a low AoA, maybe even slightly negative, but his launch angle is not low (visually speaking here).  I think he generates a lot of spin and hits it high on the club face.

You haven't given any spin rate numbers, so I would look for another launch monitor that has spin and AoA.

That LM data is the best I could find.   But there are other data I retrieved:

BS: 138 Mph

Smash Factor: 1.44

LA (vertical): 16*

LA (Horizontal): 2.3*

Spin: 3013 RPM

The carry distance is about 223 yards.  Total distance 240 yards.

Archived