Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Great Way To Kick Off 2015 - A Round at Torrey Pines

GolfSpy Barbajo

There aren't a lot of words to describe Torrey, so I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Suffice to say that even with greens fees at $239 (cart not included!), the experience was worth every penny!  Even managed to shoot an 88...small, tricky greens and rough that's ready for the pros at the Farmers.  

Enjoy...

209.JPG 210.JPG

211.JPG 213.JPG

214.JPG 216.JPG

217.JPG  218.JPG

219.JPG  222.JPG

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

More pix...

223.JPG 224.JPG

225.JPG 226.JPG

229.JPG 231.JPG

233.JPG 235.JPG

236.JPG 237.JPG

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Last of the pix...

238.JPG 241.JPG

242.JPG 243.JPG

246.JPG 247.JPG

248.JPG  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

What tees did you play?

Pix show the course in terrific shape.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

What tees did you play?

Pix show the course in terrific shape.

Played the whites -- 6,628 yards, but it seemed longer. There were 5 par 4's playing over 400 yards (longest was 443), plus 2 others that were over 390.  

Course was in awesome condition -- greens were pretty fast and very subtle -- had a few puts that took sharp left or right turns right at the cup (excuses, excuses!).  They're were building the viewing stands for the Farmers, so it's getting closer to tour ready.  Can't fathom playing from the tips -- it's  by permission only and is 7,628 yards!  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Guess I would play the Reds......6,000 to 6,200 yds......LMAO

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Looks like a great time! It's been on my list after getting to walk it during the TMaG trip last year.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Sweet,  Played there last year..... Great Course....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Looks like a great time! It's been on my list after getting to walk it during the TMaG trip last year.

Let me know when you're going -- I'd like another crack at it!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Played the whites -- 6,628 yards, but it seemed longer. There were 5 par 4's playing over 400 yards (longest was 443), plus 2 others that were over 390.  

Course was in awesome condition -- greens were pretty fast and very subtle -- had a few puts that took sharp left or right turns right at the cup (excuses, excuses!).  They're were building the viewing stands for the Farmers, so it's getting closer to tour ready.  Can't fathom playing from the tips -- it's  by permission only and is 7,628 yards!  

I was there in 2008 just before Tiger took the US Open away from Rocco.  Believe me, the greens will be more than "pretty fast" next month!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Looks like an awesome experience. Hopefully I'll get to play there one day. I like the 614 yard par 5 that some of the pros can reach in two. Ridiculous.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Guess I would play the Reds......6,000 to 6,200 yds......LMAO

If I were there, I'd be joining you!

I'd say an 88 is VERY good for that course ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Looks like an awesome experience. Hopefully I'll get to play there one day. I like the 614 yard par 5 that some of the pros can reach in two. Ridiculous.

It gets worse - that 614 is at sea level in heavy air - the worst possible conditions for distance.  Not PA, downhill in the late summer when the ground is firm.

The pics are beautiful Barbajo - very, very happy for you.  I actually think the price was pretty good for that course.  Is it shoulder season or were you staying at the resort for a discount? 

Great round BTW - 6,600 would be very long - there was a time when Pebble Beach played 6,600 from the tips.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The pics are beautiful Barbajo - very, very happy for you.  I actually think the price was pretty good for that course.  Is it shoulder season or were you staying at the resort for a discount? 

That's the standard rate for out-of-towners.  Torrey is owned by the city of San Diego - so it's a muni. No discounts or resort associated rates that I'm aware of, $183 for the South Course Mon thru Th, $229 Fri-Sun.  If you have a "Resident's card" the rates are stupid low - $61 M-Th, $76 Fri-Sun.  That's just crazy!

The North Course is less expensive - $40-50 for residents, $100-125 for non-residents.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Very nice, just need to find a reason to get out to Cali now.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

The North course may be less expensive and half the thrill, but it's also MUCH harder to get on.   It's always clogged with locals.   I tried twice to play North only and couldn't get on, so had to play as a single at the South again.   Which is a little thinking you're going to take Chloe Kardashian out on a date and being forced to take Kim instead.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Great Pics! I would love to play a course of that quality some day! But that would mean that I would have to leave my little corner of Iowa.

What's in the Bag

Bag- Sun Mountian 

Driver - Callaway Rouge 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow
Fairway wood - Ping G15 3 wood

Hybrid - Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 19* 
Irons - Callaway XR 5-PW
Wedges - Cleveland 588-RTX 52* 56* 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 - SuperStroke Wrist lock Grip

Archived