Bridgestone J715 Driver

More
Bridgestone-J-Driver.jpg?itok=lZzKfIrh
Photo: Michael Chini
Bridgestone J715 Driver

by Rob Sauerhaft
Posted: Mon Jan. 5, 2015

Thin is in.

The J715's crown is only 0.5 millimeters at its thinnest and features springlike ribs on the interior that company officials say can increase ball speeds by 2 mph and launch angle by as much as 2 degrees at Tour-level swing speeds. A process called “power milling” creates a rougher clubface so that the ball doesn't roll up the face as much as it normally would and thus stays there longer. The combination reduces spin by up to 350 rpm at higher launch angles (12.5°) and by 200 rpm at lower launch angles (10.5°) for a longer, more penetrating flight.

Two removable weights in the sole—one behind the center of the face and the other more rearward and heel-biased—are used to alter the club's center of gravity (CG). From the factory, the J715 driver comes with a 10-gram weight in back and a 4-gram weight in front, but flipping them will lower launch angle by as much as 0.75° and decrease spin by up to 200 rpm. A weight kit ($80) sold separately includes 2-, 4-, 6-, 8-, 10- and 12- gram plugs for more customization. The club's hosel offers further adjustability, allowing face-angle changes from 1° open to 1° closed, as well as lie angles from standard to 2° upright.

Lofts: 8.5°, 9.5°, 10.5°, 12°. $399. Available February 1.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

..company officials say can increase ball speeds by 2 mph and launch angle by as much as 2 degrees at Tour-level swing speeds. A process called “power milling” creates a rougher clubface so that the ball doesn't roll up the face as much as it normally would and thus stays there longer. The combination reduces spin by up to 350 rpm at higher launch angles (12.5°) and by 200 rpm at lower launch angles (10.5°) for a longer, more penetrating flight..

- At Tour-level swing speeds = little to no difference for us mere mortals then.  Kind of like Turbulators :)

- The whole power milling thing seems counter intuitive.  They are making the face rougher to get the ball to spin less?  I'm sure they've tested it and there must be results for them to make this claim, but I thought the whole point of a rougher face (milling and grooves) were to get the ball to spin more?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Why is it that in Japan the manufacturers design clubs with technology to help the average Joezilla golfer, but here in the good ol' USA the technology is designed primarily to help pros and Joe golfer with swing speeds in excess of 110mph?  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Why is it that in Japan the manufacturers design clubs with technology to help the average Joezilla golfer, but here in the good ol' USA the technology is designed primarily to help pros and Joe golfer with swing speeds in excess of 110mph?  

Because nobody wants a driver meant for the average Joe player (even if you are one), you must have a driver meant for Tour Players or else it's no good. 

On a more serious note, this driver looks pretty good. However the price for the weight kit seems too high, although I don't know how much weights cost in other brands like Titleist for example. 

Because nobody wants a driver meant for the average Joe player (even if you are one), you must have a driver meant for Tour Players or else it's no good. 

On a more serious note, this driver looks pretty good. However the price for the weight kit seems too high, although I don't know how much weights cost in other brands like Titleist for example. 

I guess in Japan the golfers know they will never aspire to the pro levels of play, and here golfers think there is a chance if I use pro clubs. 

I like the looks of this driver, but wonder what is the difference between this club and the one they produce for Japan only?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived