TESTERS WANTED! ×

When Little Physical Things Break Your Game

As any avid golfer already knows, there are few things that are more frustrating than having playable conditions, time to play, and being hamstrung (pun fully intended) by a physical issue. This my friends is the hell that we've all experienced once or twice.

For me, the last 3 months have been a mix of this, and it all stems from something simple, a single bit of connecting tissue in my left foot called the Plantar Fascia. Most anyone that has run has heard of it, it is a common enough injury. What I didn't know was how much it would impact my ability to play golf, and more importantly, how much golf was impacting my ability to recover from it. I thought I would share the adventure, though I am not completely recovered yet, I have finally gotten to a point where I am able to start playing and running again. 

Plantar Fascitis is a pretty broad description of a bunch of issues, that can hurt in many different locations in the foot, but I had the most common, sharp heel pain. It really came to a head after my half marathon back in November, though it started in mid September, and the cause was, oddly enough, my attempts to prevent just such an injury. 

You see, for the last several years I have been running, walking and golfing in zero drop, minimalist shoes that offered no structure, insignificant padding and minimal support. As I started to build miles towards my fall season, I thought it would be a good idea to add some padding and support to my walking and golfing in order to lessen the stress on the foot. Turns out, this might have been a bad idea.

There was no change in my running shoes, nor anything different from the last couple of years in terms of milage (actually lower miles as I was only doing 13.1's this fall instead of my normal 26.2's). What did change was that I was walking and golfing in more traditional shoes. 

In running, we are taught to introduce changes gradually.  In Golf, sometimes we forget those lessons. I made a mistake, and I paid for it. I went from my minimal golf shoes to structured, supportive shoes and then played a stretch of 7 rounds in 14 days, walking 6 of them (on hilly north Georgia courses) in early September, all while continuing to run the miles in prep for my races. I failed to connect the discomfort to the golf shoes, and assumed (we all know about that word right?) it was the run miles. Long story short, by the middle of November I was done. I couldn't get out of bed in the morning without significant pain. It took an hour each morning to be able to walk without a limp. I strode very carefully everywhere I went. I was taking a cart to play any golf, and even then, by 12, I was uncomfortable to the point of not wanting to play. Compounding matters, even when I did swing, I wasn't coming through the ball because I just didn't want to put pressure on that left foot.

In short, I was broken, and my game was even worse.

Time off. 4 weeks of no golf, and no running. I could ride a bike and swim, so I kept that up. 

At week 5 I was moving alright, so back I went to the course. By hole 14 I was done. The next morning, the pain was back in full force. Back to the Doc, and after a long conversation, it was more rest. I was _not_ happy.

Enter a friend, and miracle worker. A friend of mine, a fellow runner (and triathlete), she recommended that I let Ettienne, her sports massage therapist work on my legs and foot. Nothing else had worked, so I figured what the hell.

Well, after an hour session in the torture device, errr, massage table, I hurt. A lot. That was a case of suffering a lot for a little while for a massive return. The following morning, I was pain free in the foot, but even more importantly, talking with him during the torture session, we concluded that the shoe change was the root cause. His advice, was, recover for a couple of days, go back to your old shoes and go play a round and see where you are.

The result? while not 100% pain free, I was back to about 70%, and the following morning was about a 2 versus previous 10's. Another visit with Ettienne (less painful this time) and we decide the best thing would be to work back to the routine, but to go back to minimal across the board. So here we are 2 weeks later, and I am back to running (albeit, not many miles yet), and finally able to play golf without being terrified of the following morning.

The moral of the story? small changes can have big impacts. Radical changes, even those intended to make things 'better' can be devastating, and most importantly, listen to your body. Looking back, I see that my body was telling me that something was wrong, but I assumed and ignored.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I feel your pain dru,  I have a sharp pain in my right foot. However, it is not at the heel.  Rather, it is just beside the ball of my foot and it can really hurt at times.  I feel that it has caused some issues with my game as I favor it during the swing.  I assume that it is also a plantar fascia issue but have not made the trip to the doctor.  Been dealing with this since early October.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Once tore Plantar Facia ligaments in my left foot, and have had to fight recurring Plantar Fasciitis for over 10 years.  For me, the only cure that works is  S T R E T C H I N G.  You really need to become manic over the stretching, even when it is painful to do so.  (If it heals without stretching it is actually a bit shorter and will reoccur more often). The good news is it's easy and can be done all day long, simple pull your toes towards your shin.  Also stretch it when you walk, exaggerate a heal into the ground first type of step. PF is insidious, it hurts to walk normally and invites walking on the toe..yet that shortens the ligament even more.  Good luck with this.

swingTI.com

TourImpactGolf.com

Thanks Tour,  that is great advice.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

It is good advice. I had already been using a lacrosse ball while I work and sleeping in a sleeve the guides the foot into a healing position. But sstretching is the key.

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Been there, had that!  THAT was 30 years ago and I didn't play golf back then.  Agree that stretching is the key.   However, all I can say is that each year after 50, it seems like I get a new pain.  I am not looking forward to what this year's pain will be.  

Had knee replaced last year that removed a lot of pain, so I can get to my left side again (well, most of the time).  My doctor tells me that I have arthritis in most joints, so it's a battle just to feel good.  But I would say that I am much better off playing golf than I would be not playing.  I'm going to keep telling myself that!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Been there, had that!  THAT was 30 years ago and I didn't play golf back then.  Agree that stretching is the key.   However, all I can say is that each year after 50, it seems like I get a new pain.  I am not looking forward to what this year's pain will be.  

Had knee replaced last year that removed a lot of pain, so I can get to my left side again (well, most of the time).  My doctor tells me that I have arthritis in most joints, so it's a battle just to feel good.  But I would say that I am much better off playing golf than I would be not playing.  I'm going to keep telling myself that!

Well, I agree with you that we're all better off playing golf than we would be without it.  I didn't start playing until I turned 50 and hate to think what shape I'd be in if I didn't play golf.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Well, I agree with you that we're all better off playing golf than we would be without it.  I didn't start playing until I turned 50 and hate to think what shape I'd be in if I didn't play golf.

I was 45 when I started.  Had to take up something when all the other sports ruined my joints.  I've managed to play through all the aches and pains, and except for the time before knee surgery, it never really hurt to play golf; just afterwards!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Has anyone used the Tommy Copper products?  They are bandages intertwined with copper that supposedly aide the healing process.

Used one on my knee before it was replaced.  Didn't do anything, but my knee was too far gone, so not a good test.  Doctor said if I had waited one more year, he would have had to do a bone graft.  

Thought about getting one for my elbow.  Anybody try one?

fozcycle:

It sounds like you may have Morton's Neuroma in your foot. It is usually caused by shoes that are too narrow in the forefoot. See a Podiatrist as the pain can usually be relieved with an injection and wider shoes when treated early. If you allow it to go on too long, however, surgery can become neccessary (yes, that is experience talking!).

This is one reason I started wearing True Linkswear shoes. Plenty of room upfront. Just takes a little getting used to in the heal!

Thanks for the info riche and welcome to the forum!

Dru, I went through a similar process a few years back. I used to be an avid tennis player and really messed up my left arch when I stepped on a ball at full speed, that ultimately helped exacerbate my plantar fasciitis, it got so bad I could hardly walk, especially on concrete. I saw several doctors and poured hundreds of dollars into different orthotics that would offer me some measure of relief, but never really cured my ailing left foot. I fully agree with the stretching aspect of it. I have lost so much flexibility as I have aged. I watched one of those walk fit orthotics infomercials and looked into them. I figured for 20 bucks, it would be worth a shot. They worked immediately and I have had no recurrences for over 4 years. If you decide to give them a try, buy them from Target.com as the manufacturer reviews say it is difficult to return them to the company (No I do not work for Target). Best 20 bucks I ever spent. I wear them every day, just move them from one pair to the other, the first pair lasted over 3 years, I do keep up doing a lot of Yoga stretching, and I can play tennis again, but my true love and passion is golf. Have a great year and I hope you find a good solution. 

Glenn

fozcycle:

It sounds like you may have Morton's Neuroma in your foot. It is usually caused by shoes that are too narrow in the forefoot. See a Podiatrist as the pain can usually be relieved with an injection and wider shoes when treated early. If you allow it to go on too long, however, surgery can become neccessary (yes, that is experience talking!).

Thanks much.  The pain is intermittent.  I do not have it everyday but every couple of days. and it just comes and goes. When it occurrs, it is a very sharp pain and feels like I am walking on a stone.

Dru, I went through a similar process a few years back. I used to be an avid tennis player and really messed up my left arch when I stepped on a ball at full speed, that ultimately helped exacerbate my plantar fasciitis, it got so bad I could hardly walk, especially on concrete. I saw several doctors and poured hundreds of dollars into different orthotics that would offer me some measure of relief, but never really cured my ailing left foot. I fully agree with the stretching aspect of it. I have lost so much flexibility as I have aged. I watched one of those walk fit orthotics infomercials and looked into them. I figured for 20 bucks, it would be worth a shot. They worked immediately and I have had no recurrences for over 4 years. If you decide to give them a try, buy them from Target.com as the manufacturer reviews say it is difficult to return them to the company (No I do not work for Target). Best 20 bucks I ever spent. I wear them every day, just move them from one pair to the other, the first pair lasted over 3 years, I do keep up doing a lot of Yoga stretching, and I can play tennis again, but my true love and passion is golf. Have a great year and I hope you find a good solution. 

Glenn

Thanks for the info Glenn; good to know. I don't have much foot pain, but every once in awhile... For $20 it might be worth having on hand.

If I haven't done it before, welcome to the forum. Good to have you aboard!

Reading this thread makes me realize how blessed I've been in regards to my physical health. I have a bit of a balky back and some arthritis but they rarely impact my golf game. I pray that continues.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have been reading this thread off and on all week. This is actually my third time to type a response, after deleting the first two because I was a cry baby.  I have had the plantar facilitates issues for years, and the only way to treat it is to stretch. I do this several times a day while driving now that I am traveling.

I have also had back issues for so long that I have developed a completely different swing and philosophy for playing when my back hurts. Because of the weather the last two weeks, I have managed just 4 holes of golf. Finally, the weather while marginal at best, still in the 30's, was good enough to play today.

And I still did not get to play. I have a problem with my left wrist that feels like the bones are misaligned when I go to release the club, so once again, it is "woe is me" no golf again this week. I am headed to Atlanta tomorrow and be there all week with no golf. I probably would have made an attempt if the weather would have been 10 degrees above freezing.

One more thing about the foot problems. At one point I decided to stay off of it and allow it to heal. After 3 weeks of never going farther than the bathroom, it became unbearably worse. It seems that naturally the toe wants to point down, thus allowing the plantar fascia to contract. So when you go to walk, this stretches the PF and thus causes pain. I eventually bought a brace that keeps the toes pointed up,and often wear above the ankle hiking boots that keep the toes closer to the shin.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• 3 months later...

I thought I would follow up on this now that I have had 6 months of time and exercise to really evaluate things.

Though stretching and massage really got the pain managed, there remained some issues.  Eventually, I switched golf shoes to yet another option ( and eventually 3-4 options ). The issue, it turned out, was a mix of things, and they all tied my foot up in knots.

First, I prefer to walk when I play golf, I just find it more soothing to the stresses of the daily grind. Golf shoes, are not really designed to walk 7-8 miles in today, as most rounds of golf are played in a cart. At the time, I was playing in True Linkswear, and I loved them, but what I discovered was that the shoes had enough lateral rigidity, that when I walked, I was placing stresses on the foot that I am not used to. Why? because my running and walking shoes have no lateral support.  Think socks with a little rubber surface on the bottom. ( If you run, you might understand, New Balance Minimus Zero ).  Back in January I switched to the New Balance Minimus Golf Shoe, and it was a good mix, but still didn't quite get me there. I still had some discomfort. Then on accident one day, I went to play and left my golf shoes at home.  All I had with me were my trail running shoes (also New Balance Minimus).  Walked 18 that damp February morning with zero discomfort, and no lingering discomfort the next morning.

What gives? Turns out there can be such a thing as 'too much grip'. What no one realized along the way is that I have a slight twist in the push off in my stride, and that was creating pressure on the Plantar. The structured shoes make it more pronounced, and the golf spikes really dig in. In turn this led me back to an old friend. 

Today, I am back to playing regularly and pain free, in a a trail running shoe that gives me grip, without locking into the ground ala a spike. ( for what it's worth, it is a small english brand called Vivo Barefoot, and the shoe is the Trail Freak Mens).

This however leads to an interesting tangent. Back when I originally wrote this, I was a pretty solid 13 handicap playing a 5-10 yard fade that straightened out as the irons got shorter. Fast forward through 4 months of hard core fitness training prepping for a couple of Ironman races this summer. The net result is an interesting set of changes to the swing that are creating havoc on the game of golf.

Obviously, I am more fit and smaller (though if you go by a scale, I've only lost about 5lbs since then, I've lost two pants sizes :)). The fitness plan has focused a lot on core fitness, flexibility and a mix of slow twitch and fast twitch muscle. What this has done to my ability to 'get around' on the ball is truly frightening, and I now complete understand JBones swing and ability to go so long. It is all about hip rotation.  Back in California a year or so ago, I watched him set up his swing, and always felt like he was lined up 10-15 yards left of target based upon his feet. Now I finally grasp it. He sets up so open because the speed of his hip rotation enables him to generate so much velocity at the club head that if he lined up straight, every single shot would be a dead pull. I understand this because I have found this magic formula myself.   There are other solutions, some that may work better, but I too have had to alter my stance to a far more open setup in order to avoid the dead pull hook, and adjust to a 5-10 yard draw. So Bones, I owe you a beer. It wasn't until I thought back to watching you swing that I came to understand what the heck was going on.

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

• 4 months later...

I thought I would follow up on this as I sit here in my hotel room with a mix of fear and excitement ripping through my system.

As I mentioned in my last follow up, I was training for a couple  of races this year. I did the first half Ironman back in May, about a month after the last post. It went well, in that I finished, but I had some challenges. I finished that races, recovered for a few days and got back at it. 

It is now September, and I am sitting in a hotel room overlooking the Tennessee River in Chattanooga, 36 hours away from doing the race that has been the reason for all the training (and the complete destruction of what little golf game I stared with, all the way back up to a 14.5 index right now).

Sunday morning, it is Ironman time. 144.6 miles. 

Next week, I can get back to my golf game, which in truth has gotten a lot better in parts, but I just haven't been playing enough to maintain the touch and feel the short game requires.

But I won't lie, as much as I miss golf, this has been one hell of a ride.

#deathbeforednf (did not finish)

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Have any of you tried to play with a hamstring pull? I pulled mine 6 weeks ago while playing tennis (don't ask..lol) . The first few times out after that, I hit the ball as well as I ever did. I knew I couldn't go all out with my swing, so it was just a full, smooth swing.

A couple of weeks and I was good to go again. But... I went back to the same old swing flaws that cause pulls and pushes because it didn't hurt anymore. Why can't or won't I swing the same way without the pain?

Have any of you tried to play with a hamstring pull? I pulled mine 6 weeks ago while playing tennis (don't ask..lol) . The first few times out after that, I hit the ball as well as I ever did. I knew I couldn't go all out with my swing, so it was just a full, smooth swing.

A couple of weeks and I was good to go again. But... I went back to the same old swing flaws that cause pulls and pushes because it didn't hurt anymore. Why can't or won't I swing the same way without the pain?

Let me guess, push fade to outright slice off the tee, with  a general flight path through the entire club range that starts slightly inside your body, before pushing hard away from your body (left to right for a right hander)?

If so, the answer I would guess is likely that without the discomfort in the leg, you are driving through the ball too early off your back foot causing your hips to clear early and everything else is just off.

It's a biyatch to overcome. I still do it on occasion, particularly as I get sloppy with my pre swing routine, the key indicators for me are looking where my club finishes, and how long my backswing gets. When things astart going wrong, my club will finish well inside my body and my backswing will have not only elongated, but moved fairly far back and flattened out. I have to concentrate to stay more vertical, and shorten the backswing to deal with it, but I still backslide way way too often.

Too often, we 'reach back' for more power, and while we might get the power, it breaks the timing, and thus the control.

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Beware the wounded golfer!  

It happens all the time.  You are not thinking about swing mechanics because your mind is focused on protecting an injury.  The result is a smooth swing with solid contact.  That's where we really want to be all the time but once we feel better, we go back to the habits that we had before the injury.  The key is to find out what the swing issue is, and perform a drill to create a new habit to replace the old habit.

Let me guess, push fade to outright slice off the tee, with  a general flight path through the entire club range that starts slightly inside your body, before pushing hard away from your body (left to right for a right hander)?

If so, the answer I would guess is likely that without the discomfort in the leg, you are driving through the ball too early off your back foot causing your hips to clear early and everything else is just off.

It's a biyatch to overcome. I still do it on occasion, particularly as I get sloppy with my pre swing routine, the key indicators for me are looking where my club finishes, and how long my backswing gets. When things astart going wrong, my club will finish well inside my body and my backswing will have not only elongated, but moved fairly far back and flattened out. I have to concentrate to stay more vertical, and shorten the backswing to deal with it, but I still backslide way way too often.

Too often, we 'reach back' for more power, and while we might get the power, it breaks the timing, and thus the control.

That's it! I think you are right on with driving through too early. I need to get my timing and tempo back.

Beware the wounded golfer!  

It happens all the time.  You are not thinking about swing mechanics because your mind is focused on protecting an injury.  The result is a smooth swing with solid contact.  That's where we really want to be all the time but once we feel better, we go back to the habits that we had before the injury.  The key is to find out what the swing issue is, and perform a drill to create a new habit to replace the old habit.

LOL... it's pretty hard to worry about swing mechanics when you know the pain is coming if you try too hard! It shouldn't be that difficult to swing the same way without pain, should it?  :unsure:

I thought I would follow up on this as I sit here in my hotel room with a mix of fear and excitement ripping through my system.

As I mentioned in my last follow up, I was training for a couple  of races this year. I did the first half Ironman back in May, about a month after the last post. It went well, in that I finished, but I had some challenges. I finished that races, recovered for a few days and got back at it. 

It is now September, and I am sitting in a hotel room overlooking the Tennessee River in Chattanooga, 36 hours away from doing the race that has been the reason for all the training (and the complete destruction of what little golf game I stared with, all the way back up to a 14.5 index.

Sunday morning, it is Ironman time. 144.6 miles. 

Next week, I can get back to my golf game, which in truth has gotten a lot better in parts, but I just haven't been playing enough to maintain the touch and feel the short game requires.

But I won't lie, as much as I miss golf, this has been one hell of a ride.

#deathbeforednf (did not finish)

Be safe and best of luck tomorrow.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived