Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Ryan Moore Sez "Thanks but No Thanks" to TaylorMade

GolfSpy Barbajo

Well isn't this interesting...a touring pro says no thanks to a TM contract.  Also note the irons he's going to be playing  ;)

When Ryan Moore successfully defended his CIMB Classic title in November, he did so as a full-time TaylorMade staffer with the company's woods and wedges in the bag. 

But when Moore tees it up on Friday at the winners-only Hyundai Tournament of Champions, he'll do so without an equipment contract. Moore, who was under contract with TaylorMade through the end of 2014, decided to pass on signing a new deal with the company.

Instead of looking elsewhere, Moore confirmed he'll play without a full-time equipment deal this year. 

"[TaylorMade] made a great offer, but it wasn't the right time or fit for me to sign a deal," Moore told PGATOUR.COM. "My focus is on playing the best golf I can."

This isn't the first time Moore has played on TOUR without an equipment contract. When he won his first PGA TOUR event in 2009 at the Wyndham Championship, he did not have an endorsement deal in place other than with Callaway Golf to use the company's golf ball. 

At the conclusion of the 2009 TOUR season, Moore signed a deal with Scratch Golf that saw him not only use their clubs but become a part owner in the company. The following season, in 2010, Moore forfeited his stake in Scratch Golf and agreed to terms with Adam Golf before signing with parent company TaylorMade Golf in 2013.

Moore will continue to play a four-year-old TaylorMade Burner SuperFast TP driver and TaylorMade AeroBurner 3-wood — as well as an Adams Idea SUPER 9031 hybrid — but will have a set of Parsons Extreme Golf (PXG) prototype irons (4-PW) and wedges (54 and 60 degrees) in the bag for the first time. 

According to Moore, he started started testing prototype irons over the winter and fell in love with Scottsdale-based PXG, which was launched by Bob Parsons, the founder of web domain GoDaddy and owner of Scottsdale National Golf Club and also an avid golfer.

Parson's unveiled his first prototype on Thursday when he tweeted out a photo of an iron with the markings PXG 03x on the back. 

"I basically couldn't get them out of my bag," Moore said of the new irons.

He added that he doesn't plan on tinkering with what's in his bag and that he feels this is the best setup at the moment as he tries to win twice in a season for the first time in his career.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Very cool news, I'm always more interested in what's in the bag of guys who aren't paid to play anything.

That being said I'm very curious to see what happens with his Parsons relationship down the road.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

This is pretty interesting to hear.  I wonder what putter he will play and ball now.  I wonder if PXG will given him any support before tournaments this year. 

Bag: :ping-small:  Hoofer Vantage

Driver: :ping-small:  G25 10.5 Aldila NV 65 S

3 Wood:   :cobra-small:  Fly Z+ 3 Wood 13.5*

Rescue: :adams-small:  XTD ti 18* set to 17* or  :adams-small: Pro 23* 

Irons: :callaway-small:  Apex Pro 4-PW, KBS Tour S, Standard Length and Loft, 2* flat, 

Wedges: :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 50* bent to 51*, KBS Tour S

:vokey-small: Spin Milled 56* bent to 55*

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 60* U grind KBS Tour S

Putter: :cameron-small: Futura X5 MOTO

Grips: PURE DTX Green

Interesting.  I wonder if TM is going to pay him tee it up money each week that he plays the TM driver and 3 wood?

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I've always liked Moore. Cool little tidbit.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rymo is a club ***** so it's no surprise really. He's changed clubs more than me and that's saying something. And he's been without a deal before, before he signed on with Scratch in a part ownership deal (or whatever they had). He'll change clubs at least one more time before the Masters. Heck when he was with Scratch I think Jeff McCoy made him a set of irons and putter per week nearly

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

The bag guys threw his bag in our truck at Southern Hills in October. Didn't realize it until we were back at Ceasars Palace. Should have looked at the irons closer.

You'd have at least gotten to see what clubs he was playing for that week... LOL.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Like others said it is always interesting to see what he is playing every week. This is profitable news for me though. I bet a guy $20 that those Miura irons would not be in his bag 6 months.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived