Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Tiger firing Hank Haney?

• SPY VIP

GolfWeek's Jeff Rude asked Haney about the speculation:

Asked for an accurate portrayal when reached by telephone Wednesday, Haney said, “Didn't he answer that yesterday?”

So, you're still together? Haney was asked Wednesday.

“As far as I know,” Haney said. “I don't know anything else. I did get a paycheck for the next quarter. You don't pay someone for the next quarter and then fire them the next day, do you?”

But two sources independent of each other told me the word inside the ropes is just the opposite. One source said, “It's common knowledge Hank is out even though [Tiger] hasn't announced it publicly yet.” When I asked another, the reply I received via text was, “Yeah. I heard a rumor Tiger is going to work with a guy at Orange County National.”

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

They are saying Foley will be the next guy but have not confirmed that with anyone other then other bloggers and writers.

#TruthDigest

I hope ot is Foley. He is about as close to Stack and Tilt as you can be withotu being Stack and Tilt. At last year's Bay Hill, Johnny Miller said Sean O'Hair had the best swing in golf. His coach? Scott Foley. I think Tiger's biggest fault is him swing plane. He pushes the hands straight away from his body at the start, and the club and his hands go straight back away from the target. He either then comes over the top on the downswing or gets stuck under the plane, and he tries to flip his hands to save it. That backswing is something Haney emphasizes. He wants you basically to have Tiger's takeaway and then lay off the hands, like Tiger. S&T and Foley both emphasize a swing plane opposite that of Tiger, so I think it would be good for him.

Hanye though doesn't seem to notice. He came back at Miller yesterday when Miller said Tiger should ditch Haney.

If I was Tiger's teacher, I would fix the swing plane and tell him to make putts. It's not much harder than that.

i think tiger swings too flat, when you look at his old swings versus now its reall obvious, my bad swings are the same as his, get too flat and laid off, which ends up with push fades and flip my hands and duck hook.

i think tiger swings too flat, when you look at his old swings versus now its reall obvious, my bad swings are the same as his, get too flat and laid off, which ends up with push fades and flip my hands and duck hook.

That is one of the thinks Haney teaches. he wants a very vertical, steep takeaway and then lay off the club at the top. The lay off isn't a bad move in itself, but when you couple it with the swing plane issue, you have a problem. That flipping thing that yo mentioned it another problem that he has due to the poor swing path. For proof just look at the drills Haney had Charles Barkley do. He made his pick the club straight up, they lay it off flat behind him. it was a slight exaggeration, but that is the move he is looking for.

His old swing, as you said, was much more one plane. Perfect in that regard, IMO. Another difference is that the old swing (say, from 2001) was that it was a much more hip oriented swing. Today's swing is more based around the shoulders and the hands flipping at the ball. IMO this could lead to the fact that he has not gotten longer as equipment has improved, he has stayed about the same.

I noticed that too, his old swing had amazing hip action on the downswing, he really crunched his core and got his hips moving before his arms.

I dont know why you would teach laying the club off, I hate it, I've done it for so long without knowing now I find it really hard to not lay the club off, I've been trying to get the shaft more upright on the backswing but my wrist just doesnt want to do it.

Out of interest how much would tiger be paying haney per qtr?

I noticed that too, his old swing had amazing hip action on the downswing, he really crunched his core and got his hips moving before his arms.

I dont know why you would teach laying the club off, I hate it, I've done it for so long without knowing now I find it really hard to not lay the club off, I've been trying to get the shaft more upright on the backswing but my wrist just doesnt want to do it.

Out of interest how much would tiger be paying haney per qtr?

As a cure for laying the club off, take the club in your hands ans take a stance. Now cock your wrists to bring the club straight up to the sky, moving only your wrists. Now, keeping your wrists in that position, make your shoulder and hip turn. Your arm should be much more upright.

Another way to do this is to swing and feel as if the club is "light." The more layed off the club is, the move horizontal is it, and the more heavy it feels. The more vertical the club is, the more light if feels.

Don't go overboard with it though, if you are not careful you can mess up your swing plane, and end up picking the club striaght up a la Tiger. That is why his swing is so weird. He goes over the plane at the beginning of the backswing and then under it at the top.

As a cure for laying the club off, take the club in your hands ans take a stance. Now cock your wrists to bring the club straight up to the sky, moving only your wrists. Now, keeping your wrists in that position, make your shoulder and hip turn. Your arm should be much more upright.

Another way to do this is to swing and feel as if the club is "light." The more layed off the club is, the move horizontal is it, and the more heavy it feels. The more vertical the club is, the more light if feels.

Don't go overboard with it though, if you are not careful you can mess up your swing plane, and end up picking the club striaght up a la Tiger. That is why his swing is so weird. He goes over the plane at the beginning of the backswing and then under it at the top.

thanks for the tip, funnily enough the past week i've been doing that, cocking the wrist as the first move of the swing, i've hit some really good shots doing that but also some terrible shots, shanks and stuff, thats more to do with bad shoulder turn, i hit some balls this morning and was happy, so much easier to get the club inside and crunch your hips/core when you are in a good position at the top of the swing.

ps, i'm not going to keep that wrist cock as my first move, just using it to get the right feeling

So do you guys think that he really resigned, or was he forced out? My guess would be forced out, but if that is the case, kudos to Hank for making the process a little more tame.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived