Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Miura irons

superduper

Yup miura is for peope who can hit the sweetspot most of the time. There is no point of using a forged iron if you can't hit it pure....

Yeah.... No.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Yup miura is for peope who can hit the sweetspot most of the time.  There is no point of using a forged iron if you can't hit it pure....

Ive played blades the last year and a half with ball striking being the best part of my game. Handicap got as low as 1 even though I was putting poorly. With that said I wasn't overly impressed with the miura's I've hit. They seemed like a nice forged iron but don't kid yourself, they are still just a piece of metal. They wouldn't turn me into a +2 all of the sudden. For the people who want to pay for them, they are getting quality stuff. For me, I've got quality stuff with the lofts and lie set to fit me but at a price point I want. Don't try and act like it's more than just a golf club.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Yup miura is for peope who can hit the sweetspot most of the time.  There is no point of using a forged iron if you can't hit it pure....

25 years ago, I might have agreed with that, but there are many forged irons today that have a fairly large sweet spot.  I don't hit the sweet spot with the frequency that I would like, but I much prefer the feel of forged irons.  I have SCOR forged 9i through lob wedge, and will likely be adding other forged irons for the 5-8, whether that be Hogans or something similar.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Not so. Don't confuse Miura with other forged irons or forged blades vs forged irons.  Blades I would agree are for people who hit the center of the club face. I happen to play Mizuno forged blades 6 irons and down. My 6-P are forged, but cast (Vokey wedges).

Forged irons do feel different than most cast. Not necessarily better depending on the brand. The Titleist AP2 is a forged club that offers lots of forgiveness. But forged clubs are softer steel than the cast club.

Miuras are some of the softest steel irons out there. However, they do not feel significantly different to me than Mizuno, They do not even come close to feeling 3 times better and yet they cost 3 times as much. Also, Miuras are softer than Mizunos and thus wear incredibly fast.

There are lots better sticks for the money than Muira. For what they cost you can fly somewhere and play your new Mizzunos or even a bag full of Pings. And a year from now, the Pings will look much like they do they day you get them.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

25 years ago, I might have agreed with that, but there are many forged irons today that have a fairly large sweet spot.  I don't hit the sweet spot with the frequency that I would like, but I much prefer the feel of forged irons.  I have SCOR forged 9i through lob wedge, and will likely be adding other forged irons for the 5-8, whether that be Hogans or something similar.

I have mizuno MP-52.  It's butter soft feel if.... you hit it in the center....  off center will feel as harsh as cast.

Maybe using the word sweetspot is wrong.. the right word is "the center of the clubface".

regarding miura.... well different feel from Mizuno.... not soft but more solid feel... still keep my PP9003 for a collection :)

Why would anyone want to play a $2000-$2500 set of irons?  I would be afraid to hit them.  

I would build a display  for them and mount above fireplace. 

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

It's interesting how people back up when they don't hit the sweet spot...

• 4 weeks later...

It is all about the feel and workable qualities of the Miura clubs.   Most people don't even know what they are so the whole "prestige" thing doesn't matter if you ask me.   I went from a 5 handicap down to a +0.2 the first year I owned them.  I switched back to my KZG irons after a knee surgery and went back up to about a 5 again.  Recently I have switched back and they are doing their magic again.  All I changed were the irons in my bag and my numbers are down about three strokes per round in just three weeks.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

It is all about the feel and workable qualities of the Miura clubs. Most people don't even know what they are so the whole "prestige" thing doesn't matter if you ask me. I went from a 5 handicap down to a +0.2 the first year I owned them. I switched back to my KZG irons after a knee surgery and went back up to about a 5 again. Recently I have switched back and they are doing their magic again. All I changed were the irons in my bag and my numbers are down about three strokes per round in just three weeks.

Then they are either better fit to you or it's mental.

Nobody said that miuria didn't make a fine club because they do but they aren't magic. I'm glad your set helps you score better though.

• 3 weeks later...

It is all about the feel and workable qualities of the Miura clubs.   Most people don't even know what they are so the whole "prestige" thing doesn't matter if you ask me.   I went from a 5 handicap down to a +0.2 the first year I owned them.  I switched back to my KZG irons after a knee surgery and went back up to about a 5 again.  Recently I have switched back and they are doing their magic again.  All I changed were the irons in my bag and my numbers are down about three strokes per round in just three weeks.

Switching irons too often is not good for your golf game.  Take example, Rory M was using the VR Pro blades last year.  Then he got a Vapor Pro blades this year.  And now he switched back to the VR Pro.....

Switching irons too often is not good for your golf game.  Take example, Rory M was using the VR Pro blades last year.  Then he got a Vapor Pro blades this year.  And now he switched back to the VR Pro.....

I'm trying to stay put with my irons this year, now that I've gotten the shafts fit for me.

That said, the best feeling club in my bag right now is the one Miura wedge.

I can't say I really hit it any more consistently than my irons, but the difference in the feel at contact is striking!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• 2 weeks later...

Why drive a sports car when you can buy a cheap lemon at a used car dealer for a lot less?  Because I can and I want to.  I also just ordered a set of Miura's.

I bet I can smoke you with my lemons :)

Enjoy your miuras. They are great clubs. I will still beat you with something much cheaper.

I bet I can smoke you with my lemons :)

Enjoy your miuras. They are great clubs. I will still beat you with something much cheaper.

We want a live broadcast!!! :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

We want a live broadcast!!! :D

Lol we would have to get the golf channel involved ;)

Very interesting conversations happening in this thread.

Not being a Miura guy, or really too dependent on one brand, I find the hard stance that people take on clubs like this interesting.

It's almost like those who spend the money on these clubs (more power to you) feel that they are part of the chosen few. That they suddenly have some mystical piece of metal that is forged with magical qualities.

I'm sure they are excellent clubs. And branding DOES make a big difference in the confidence (thus performance) someone puts on with a specific brand. That's under appreciated I feel.

But the fact of the matter is just because you play Miura and paid $2500 for your set, and I play Brand X and paid $600 for my irons that you're a better player.

The golfer makes the difference. Not the iron. Assuming all specs are equal and so on. So much of what playing that brand does for you is mental. Which is a powerful thing! 

But simply playing Miura does not make you better than anyone else at this game. That goes with any brand. Play what you like and kick ass. 

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I'm not a brand loyalist either.  However, I do think that over time you get used to a certain feel and a certain look and that's what you seek out.  I was a "Hogan guy" for a long time.  Not because I felt a loyalty to them but because the look was familiar and the feel was familiar and pretty consistent set to set.  I had tried other things and just didn't like them as much.  For sure, some of that was based on expectations, but that wasn't nearly all of it.

After Callaway killed the Hogan brand and I wanted a new set of irons, it was like I was lost.  Settled on Titleist AP2 and it took me a long time to get used to the feel.  For a long time people would see them and ask me how I liked them and the answer would always be that they are OK.  Not bad by any stretch, but different.  Fast forward to now and my testing the new Hogan irons - there's a lot of the old Hogan in them that they already seem familiar. 

Having said that, I have done a few club swaps on the range seeking opinions on the Hogans.  I have hit Miura and Mizuno.   Both have their own feel and look.  A little different than each other.  When my review is posted I will get into some of the feedback I received. 

So I guess the bottom line to me is that I can see a case for brand loyalty.  Your familiarity and comfort with something is always going to make you better with it than with something else.  But the larger point is that no golf club will make you better than your potential. 

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Mike,

Couldn't be put any better, and more simple than that. Perfect.

Edit: I just realized something. That is exactly how I felt about my Ping i25's. They were nice clubs, functional. But there was always just something about them that didn't completely click with me. I didn't know what it was until now.

The Hogan's are bringing some of that back that I had in my Mizuno's. Interesting!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Archived