Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How the wind helps and hurt your shots

Very interesting video from trackman. Definitely something good for me cause I'm guilty of trying to muscle that 7 iron into the wind

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

That is very interesting.  I use 7-10 mph per each extra or less club as a rule of thumb, but now I'll be thinking it's going to be different based on with or against the wind.  Might be 3 clubs into the wind and 1 club with the wind if it's blowing 15-20.

Thanks Theoo, this could actually save a couple strokes a round when it's windy.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I just guess the headwind based on experience and feel.  I really have no idea how hard it's blowing speed wise.  I don't have a problem with hitting it too high anyway, so just pick an extra club or two.  Downwind I have never found that I needed more than one less club.  I used to take two less clubs, but usually came up short.  I play in the wind a lot and at my lower ss, the downwind seems to just knock it out of the air.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

That is very interesting.  I use 7-10 mph per each extra or less club as a rule of thumb, but now I'll be thinking it's going to be different based on with or against the wind.  Might be 3 clubs into the wind and 1 club with the wind if it's blowing 15-20.

Thanks Theoo, this could actually save a couple strokes a round when it's windy.

You're welcome, I'm definitely trying to learn and practice different ways to hit approach shots other than i have 160 carry so thats an 8 iron that i have to pure and hope it sticks on the green.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

You're welcome, I'm definitely trying to learn and practice different ways to hit approach shots other than i have 160 carry so thats an 8 iron that i have to pure and hope it sticks on the green.

In that situation, with no wind, I'd be about 30 yards short ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

In that situation, with no wind, I'd be about 30 yards short ;)

Lol you get my point though

Dear Lord this explains a lot lol. Great post Theo!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Timely tweet from Global Golf tonight about tips for playing in the wind.  Ties in nicely with Theo's video.

http://blog.globalgolf.com/2015/01/how-to-master-playing-in-the-wind-in-just-a-few-minutes/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

So this is why I suck when it's windy. I now have something concrete to blame it on. Thanks Theo, this should be useful for the upcoming season.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I appreciate the video because it reinforces a lesson that I learned many, many moons ago and I want to say that I learned it from Golf Magazine -they made the point that their testing proved that driving into the wind took much more off the ball than down wind added.

There has to be a pretty strong wind or very firm conditions for me to hit less club down wind - My normal practice downwind would be to go with the lesser club if in between or grip down a bit to hit the ball lower with my stock club and not worry about it - lower shot - out of the wind - normal yardage.

Into the wind my normal strategy is to take more club and swing easier - again I'm looking for lower launch although the wind may drive the ball flight up.  I don't go by MPH - I go by experience in windy conditions - this type of wind is 2 clubs, etc.

With driver I do nothing different into the wind - I hit a little draw and it cuts through the wind very nicely - down wind I will tee it a little higher and swing a bit harder if it's a short par 5 or long par 4 in hopes of taking advantage of the wind.  I know that lots of advice will say don't swing harder but I have pretty good control over my driver swing and if you swing harder you will tend to hit the ball higher (that's what you want downwind.)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I appreciate the video because it reinforces a lesson that I learned many, many moons ago and I want to say that I learned it from Golf Magazine -they made the point that their testing proved that driving into the wind took much more off the ball than down wind added.

There has to be a pretty strong wind or very firm conditions for me to hit less club down wind - My normal practice downwind would be to go with the lesser club if in between or grip down a bit to hit the ball lower with my stock club and not worry about it - lower shot - out of the wind - normal yardage.

Into the wind my normal strategy is to take more club and swing easier - again I'm looking for lower launch although the wind may drive the ball flight up.  I don't go by MPH - I go by experience in windy conditions - this type of wind is 2 clubs, etc.

With driver I do nothing different into the wind - I hit a little draw and it cuts through the wind very nicely - down wind I will tee it a little higher and swing a bit harder if it's a short par 5 or long par 4 in hopes of taking advantage of the wind.  I know that lots of advice will say don't swing harder but I have pretty good control over my driver swing and if you swing harder you will tend to hit the ball higher (that's what you want downwind.)

Very much the same strategy I use; may go one club less downwind if it is a two-club wind.  

What amazes me is that my wife can hit a drive into the wind the same distance and sometimes farther than when there is no wind. She makes no swing adjustments.   Maybe "a well struck ball is not affected by the wind."

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Back to our ball striking thread Tom Watson made very few adjustments for the wind when he played in the Open - his argument was that a well struck ball is always the best ball in any condition.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

A very good piece that perfectly explains the old pro's adage about playing in strong wind.   "Add two clubs and swing easy into the wind, subtract one and hit hard with the wind."

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Archived