Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

No More Fun of ANY KIND!

GolfSpy Barbajo

So, it appears Dean Vernon Wormer is now running the show at the Waste Management Phoenix Open...

No fun in Phoenix? Tourney bans tosses to crowd

The rowdiest stage in golf will become a little less fun this year.

PGA Tour spokesman confirmed to GolfChannel.com Tuesday that players and caddies will no longer be allowed to throw or kick items into the stands on the 16th hole at theWaste Management Phoenix Open, citing safety concerns.

The 16th hole at TPC Scottsdale has grown in both stature and sheer volume in recent years, with players now surrounded by thousands of fans who scream once the ball leaves the tee on the par 3.

After receiving cheers - or jeers - from the gallery, many players opt to hand out items to the crowd. Some like Rickie Fowler have been known to distribute hats, while Phil Mickelson took the unconventional route of tossing a few footballs into the stands last year. 

This will be the second consecutive year that an entertaining element was removed from the raucous hole, as last year the Tour banned the popular tee-to-green caddie races, citing safety concerns.

Of course, security awareness may be heightened this year at TPC Scottsdale, where record-breaking crowds are expected. Super Bowl XLIX will be played in nearby Glendale shortly after the final round concludes, and Tiger Woods will be making his first appearance at the event since 2001.

36f67e1e76ff5d0f5d225917a6ff955c.jpg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

This isn't over...

484ab61ae625160acd6e3cc71cc460e5.jpg

Patrick Reed to the rescue...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

What a bunch of idiots. A perfect way to attract attention to golf and make a small step in dispelling the perception that it's a boring game for old farts; and the boring old farts have to take away the fun of the races and now even tossing souvenirs into the crowd? What the hell is wrong with them? Way to grow the game Morons.

Imagine if a baseball stadium decided no more shooting tee shirts into the crowd, or tossing a bag of peanuts down the row for the same lame excuse. Imbeciles....

The Phoenix Waste Management open was the ONLY stop on tour headed in the right direction.   Golf needs more of it, not less.   To quote another 80's icon, their attitude now seems to be....

smalls.jpg

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Wow that's a little ridiculous. And I was planning on heading out there for the tournament guess I won't now. Have they had people get hurt from any of this? At least this would give them a reason.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I literally just typed out the following email to TPC Scottsdale.  I hope it gets there.

I hear and read all the time anymore about the game of golf being in trouble with lack of interest from younger people, fewer rounds played, etc.  It's hard to attract younger people to the game anymore.  There are too many options to take their time that are far more exciting for them.  The perception about golf is that it's a boring, slow dull game for old farts. 

Your tournament is in a unique position to to chip away at that perception.  The Stadium Course!  Cheering crowds!  Excitement in the air!  Racing caddies!  Pros tossing souvenirs to the crowd!

Oh wait, scratch that... The boring, slow, dull old farts say NO caddie races anymore! "We can't have people getting excited over GOLF!!!!"  Wait again!  The boring, slow, dull old farts say NO to pros tossing gifts to the crowd!  "We can't have people getting excited over golf after-all."  "A safety concern."  How ridiculous!  Can you imagine a baseball stadium saying no more shooting tee shirts into the audience stating safety concerns?  For that matter, the players better not run to the bases anymore, they could get hurt.  Wait a minute, that swinging bat is dangerous.  No more batting.  Where does it end?  

This is absolute stupidity.  Spectators, caddies and players at a golf tournament have a lot more risk from a stray golf ball than any imagined risk for them from a football or hat being tossed to them or caddies having a good time on a special hole racing to the green.

What better way to grow the game of golf than to show it's about having fun!  It's a blast, all televised so even people with that perception of golf might get to see some excitement associated with the game and have second thoughts about their opinion.

But no, apparently the stuffy, boring, slow, dull old farts can't see past the nose on their face and instead listen to overpaid attorneys "protecting" their "interests".  Funny, how their "interests" apparently don't include the game itself.

How PATHETIC.

I hope they get more emails and letters to that effect.  What nonsense.

Good e mail Blade. I agree with you 100% This seems to be headed in a typical knee jerk reaction people and organizations afraid of being sued. No wonder we have more lawyers per capita than any nation on earth

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Blade it's not likely the course's decision. Hit the sponsor and copy the tour. This is so ridiculous that I thought it must be about the USGA.

I hope Gary McCord takes a run at this one.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

What a bunch of idiots. A perfect way to attract attention to golf and make a small step in dispelling the perception that it's a boring game for old farts; and the boring old farts have to take away the fun of the races and now even tossing souvenirs into the crowd? What the hell is wrong with them? Way to grow the game Morons.

Imagine if a baseball stadium decided no more shooting tee shirts into the crowd, or tossing a bag of peanuts down the row for the same lame excuse. Imbeciles....

MLB did that for a few years.....and guess what???  It is back in full force.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Notice that there is no safety concern over the people that get there at 8 AM and drink Miller Lite all darn day....not that there is anything wrong with that.  

Seems to me that they are trying to limit liability (which I understand to a point) in areas that do not make direct profit for the tournament.

WITB 2024

Notice that there is no safety concern over the people that get there at 8 AM and drink Miller Lite all darn day....not that there is anything wrong with that.  

Seems to me that they are trying to limit liability (which I understand to a point) in areas that do not make direct profit for the tournament.

WITB 2024

Sadly, "Waste Management" seem only too appropriate a description in this case... :(

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Well written email, I think we should all copy and paste it and then send it off. Maybe add a link to this thread as well.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Did they really? I didn't know that.

Yep. In the mid 90's they banned throwing peanuts and it really did hurt the overall experience at places like Wrigley. Not sure if it ever really went public but it was there.

WITB 2024

Wow really sad they are doing this. It's totally a 180 from what they should be doing. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

• SPY VIP

Maybe they were worried about hats being lethal… (@1:05)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65nNcNiwJHM

or maybe they are just asshats  :mad:

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Maybe they were worried about hats being lethal… (@1:05)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65nNcNiwJHM

or maybe they are just asshats  :mad:

asshat_trucker_hat.jpg

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

It hurst golf, if you want your product (golf) to be fun and exciting, then you have to have fun and exciting things with it, this used to be one of the funnest tourney's to watch, or even go to, but it's now turning into just another tourney that no one will care about, it's sad

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

That is by far the best tournament on tour. From the group of people that research each player so they can interact with them on a completely different level. The smiles on the Pros faces as they take a lashing when they dump one in the sand or miss a three footer for par. It is great for the game and Waste Management is trying to ruin that . It is as iconic as 17 at the players, Once you tee off on 1 you start thinking of and hearing 16.

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

From the sounds of it players/caddies are still allowed to pass out items by handing them to the crowd, they just aren't allowed to throw them.

(From Zinger's Twitter feed)

Well posting the image isn't working, but you can check it out from Zinger...

www.twitter.com/spyzinger

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I have 2 kids under 10....both them said it was "the coolest golf they ever saw" while they watched the caddie races and players throwing crap into the crowd, not to mention James Hahn's "gangnam" birdie dance.  Both begged me to take them.  Way to screw up a good thing PGA.  Dumb a$$e$.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Ruining the best hole in golf! It's half the reason I watch this tournament! Just to see who's going to through out what! Who's caddie is going to take a nose dive during a caddie race! What players will race! etc.... Golf needs this hole and all that happens there.

Driver: :adams-small: XTD Ti 9* Matrix Ozik Red Tie s flex                        

Fairway: :cobra-small: AMP 15* Aldila RIP s flex               

Hybrid:  :cleveland-small: 588 Custom 20.5* Matrix Ozik Altus

Irons: :taylormade-small:  2014 Tour Preferred MC 4-pw w/ KBS Tour s flex +1"  

Wedges:  :scatch-golf-1: 8620 50*DD w/ KBS Rev, 54* and 58* DD w/ KBS C-Taper  

Putter: :bridgestone-small:  TD-01 True Balance 34"

I wouldn't be surprised if we still see people throwing things to fans and the sponsors paying the fines.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived