TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why Don't companies sell balls in bulk?

DanUsh

If you go on Taylormade's website you can buy lethal golf balls in bulk 20, 50, 144.  My question is why don't more companies do this?  I know some people like certain numbers or different things.  Does packaging matter to you?  Does it have to come in a sleeve or a dozen? What if they let you buy bulk of certain numbers you like?  I do play lethals so when I saw this I really liked the idea.  How many balls are you willing to buy at one time and how much are you willing to spend?  

IMG_2470.PNG

Bag: :ping-small:  Hoofer Vantage

Driver: :ping-small:  G25 10.5 Aldila NV 65 S

3 Wood:   :cobra-small:  Fly Z+ 3 Wood 13.5*

Rescue: :adams-small:  XTD ti 18* set to 17* or  :adams-small: Pro 23* 

Irons: :callaway-small:  Apex Pro 4-PW, KBS Tour S, Standard Length and Loft, 2* flat, 

Wedges: :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 50* bent to 51*, KBS Tour S

:vokey-small: Spin Milled 56* bent to 55*

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 60* U grind KBS Tour S

Putter: :cameron-small: Futura X5 MOTO

Grips: PURE DTX Green

Well, they do sell in bulk as you can buy more than one dozen at a time :)

I usually do the buy 3 get 1 free deal at the beginning of the season and that lasts me plenty long enough.  I've still got two dozen from last year and I got a few more for Christmas. 

The only benefit to buying in bulk is if it's cheaper than buying by the dozen.  (which the Letha's are)  The danger is that a ball you love will go on closeout and you would have been able to pick them up by the dozen a lot cheaper in a year.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Nike is currently running a buy two get one free promo.    Titleist is also discounting in preparation for the 2015 ProV.   Many companies do this -- when they have close-outs and overstock.   TMag is simply discounting their older Lethals in bulk because they made too many of them and now have to try to move them somehow.

Don't be fooled into think that the packaging of balls has any real impact on the MSRP charged at the cash register.  Titleist could box their ProV1's in cedar cigar cases with velvet linings if they wanted to and it wouldn't impact their margins much.   They charge what they charge because THEY CAN, not because they have to do so in order to cover the costs of cardboard.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

The same ones were $12.99 a dozen then dropped to $7.99 a dozen on woot.com and they were shipping out triple orders, so if you ordered the max, 12 dozen, you ended up with 36 dozen.  Gone now though

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

This would be so cool.

I've often wondered why they DON'T issue a special "Scotty Cameron" edition ProV1 with some sort of distinguishing but largely unquantifiable feature that would allow them to charge $75 or more a dozen in premium packaging.   Serial number the balls, anything to make them seem special and limited edition.   They would sell a sheetload to posers and Trump types.   Instead, Titleist makes their cheaper NXT balls perform almost exactly as good as ProV's for less money!

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

If I could get some SR2 with the number 13, I would purchase a bulk quantity, but I think what you are trying to say is why don't they sell bulk quantity with bulk prices. Like you have there with the lethals for 24 dollars a dozen, I can't buy 10 dozen full price SR2, but at 24 a dozen I might could sneak them in

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I should add if you are interested in personalization check out golfballs.com.  In my previous job I had a marketing type of budget each quarter and used to order a lot of logo golf balls.  They ran deals all the time with buy 12 dozen get 6 dozen free.  Worked out to a fair amount less than regular retail for a personalized logo golf ball.  You just have to catch the promotion when they run it.  And be ready to buy 18 dozen :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I've often wondered why they DON'T issue a special "Scotty Cameron" edition ProV1 with some sort of distinguishing but largely unquantifiable feature that would allow them to charge $75 or more a dozen in premium packaging. Serial number the balls, anything to make them seem special and limited edition. They would sell a sheetload to posers and Trump types. Instead, Titleist makes their cheaper NXT balls perform almost exactly as good as ProV's for less money!

They do have SC balls. Just released them during the Hula Girl release (Sony Open).

They did a holiday one before and a Johnny Jackpot I know. Might be more but I know there were those 3.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Don't be fooled into think that the packaging of balls has any real impact on the MSRP charged at the cash register.  Titleist could box their ProV1's in cedar cigar cases with velvet linings if they wanted to and it wouldn't impact their margins much.   They charge what they charge because THEY CAN, not because they have to do so in order to cover the costs of cardboard.

Titleist spends big bucks, well maybe just small bucks, on packaging. They have the silver "hologram" on the box. They claim that this can not be easily reproduced and you can never be sure you are getting real Pro V1's if they are not in the sleeve with this mark. Having said that, seems like if you ordered them from Titleist you can be assured to get real Pro V1s.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

When my bank doesn't even want to print and send me a statement anymore in an attempt to save money, I have to believe the packaging isn't cheap for a dozen balls. I've gotten into the practice of at least recycling the boxes and sleeves over the years. Wouldn't mind buying in bulk at a discount at all.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Archived