TESTERS WANTED! ×

"Electro Caddy" Ever seen one?

Kenny B

I am probably going to get in trouble for this, but What the Hell.  I've been in trouble before!

My wife sent this to me from her family album.  It's circa 1972.  The name on the bottom of the pic is her brother.  Maybe he sold one to one of you guys?

JimElectroCaddyLR1.jpg

There is also a story that goes with this.  Jim was demoing the Electro Caddy in Pullman, WA and it went for a ride in a pond.   :lol:

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Never seen one, but I can speculate why they didn't catch on.   So big and heavy that they would need to be trailered to the course or left there, but you can't ride on it.   And completely dependent on radio remote controls.  Nah, that's not a recipe for disaster -- in 2012 let alone in 1972! 

I played with a guy who was fussing with his radio remote electric caddy last year.   We got through 3 holes before it started to bolt out of control downhill towards a pond on four.  Damn thing wouldn't stop and he furiously pressed buttons as he raced towards it, wrestling it off its spinning drive wheels before it hit the water.   Since he was about 65 (the target age for consumers of such a product) this steer wrestling took the wind out of him.   He gave up and said adios to me as he tried to wrangle the thing back to the clubhouse.   I haven't seen him use it since.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I think in my brother-in-law's case, there was alcohol involved.

Yeah, it would probably have been left at a course back then. People usually walked so this was an easy way to walk and not carry clubs. Carts were not real great back then either. My wife got thrown out of a H-D three wheeler going around a corner.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ha ha, my parent's had a three wheeler for driving around their property, tipped that thing too many times.  Now they use a Gator and 4-wheelers.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Best story I have regarding remote controlled electric carts.

**I watched this happen. Not made up**

The 18th hole at one of our local courses (Now Closed) had a water hazard fronting the green. The hole was a par 4 that was in the 430 yard range, making the forced carry over water a little much for some of the senior set. So, most of those guys would lay the 2nd shot up short, chip over, and proceed. One afternoon, an older gentleman was playing along and had his clubs on an electric Golf cart that was programmed to follow him wherever he went. It usually was about 5 feet behind the player. when he reached the edge of the water hazard, he noticed a ball on the edge, and leaned over the pond to retrieve it. The cart rolled into the player, knocked him into the lake, then proceeded to chase him into the pond, clubs and all.  I was sitting on the veranda enjoying a cool after round beverage when this went down....  I didn't stop laughing for days...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Oh lord I can tell you some stories about tipping 3 wheeler golf carts. I grew up around those things. It was a wonder with some of my youthful foolishness that I was not killed or permantly disabled.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

They banned the electric carts from my club in Delaware since they got tired of fishing them out of the ponds.

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Best story I have regarding remote controlled electric carts.

**I watched this happen. Not made up**

The 18th hole at one of our local courses (Now Closed) had a water hazard fronting the green. The hole was a par 4 that was in the 430 yard range, making the forced carry over water a little much for some of the senior set. So, most of those guys would lay the 2nd shot up short, chip over, and proceed. One afternoon, an older gentleman was playing along and had his clubs on an electric Golf cart that was programmed to follow him wherever he went. It usually was about 5 feet behind the player. when he reached the edge of the water hazard, he noticed a ball on the edge, and leaned over the pond to retrieve it. The cart rolled into the player, knocked him into the lake, then proceeded to chase him into the pond, clubs and all.  I was sitting on the veranda enjoying a cool after round beverage when this went down....  I didn't stop laughing for days...

:lol: If it was an Electro Caddy, I'm telling my brother-in-law! Even if it isn't, I may just tell him anyway!!

Oh lord I can tell you some stories about tipping 3 wheeler golf carts. I grew up around those things. It was a wonder with some of my youthful foolishness that I was not killed or permantly disabled.

My wife and I played a really small course in Oregon a couple of years ago, and they rented us one! My wife didn't want it, but it was the only cart available and this was just before my knee surgery and I wasn't walking. The only way she would do it was if she drove. She did.

Jmike carts going into the lake that was SOP at our course on the weekends in the summer. Actually we had a contraption hooked to the hydraulics with a winch that we put on one of the tractors just like a wrecker boom. those older carts you could let them dry out in the hot summer sun for about an hour and back out it went. These new carts they tell me now though 9 out of 10 times if they get submerged it fries the computer. One day the same cart went into the lake 3 separate times from 3 separate groups! Of course I got to pull them out which I thought was fun but my old man did not think so

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

When I was a teen my parents arranged for me to play golf with the pastor's son at Van Patten G.C. in upstate New York.   He was a bit of a delinquent and I guess they thought I would mellow him.   He was dropped off at the course with a brand new bag and set of clubs and somehow he managed to rent a cart, although we were both just teenagers at the time.   He had no interest in golf and he looked very high to me at the time.   Within nine holes he had broken in to the unattended snack shack at the turn and stolen his weight in candy bars, beaten a woodchuck to death with his 3 iron, and driven the cart into the lake -- where he left it and his clubs and walked back in, happy as can be.  I kept playing on foot because I wanted nothing more to do with him and I hadn't signed for the cart.   Besides, I'd paid for 18.

I never saw him again.   A couple years later I heard he committed suicide.   I guess I wasn't much of a mellowing influence.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

• 2 years later...

I have been sort of interested again in a motorized / remote cart. I've thought someone should invent one that will follow you. Looks like the Stewart will do that.

Pretty pricey though. $2500 new or $2000 used from the mfg. You'd think there would be many more carts such as this but I don't find any.

Not interested at that price. But if I were I'd certainly have to be able to take it out for a test drive before I committed. I own a Bat Caddy but don't like having to fidget with the remote all the time. Distracting. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived