Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The Golf Channel Turns 20 Today!

SPY ZINGER

cafc817cff3d.jpg

The company founded today in 1995, by Arnold Palmer and entrepreneur Joe Gibbs, turned 20 years old.  The initial investment for the two was 80 million.  It took the company 12 years to finally secure a PGA Tour contract to provide coverage of the events including Thursday/Friday rounds as well as extended weekend coverage.  The Golf Channel has really evolved over the past twenty years, from the wood paneled studios and Golf Talk Live.

What was your first memory of The Golf Channel? 

I remember turning it on for the first time and seeing Greg Norman interviewed at the 1995 Masters Tournament.  I remember how cool it was watching a golfer interviewed and getting behind the scenes coverage.  It was like watching ESPN but just for golf. One of my favorite shows on The Golf Channel was Golf Academy.  I liked the fact that they brought PGA Professionals from around the country, into the studio to give lessons.  I wish they would still do that.  Another favorite as been Playing Lessons.

Whether you are a fan today or not, The Golf Channel has had a positive impact on the game, and has been my go to channel for 20 years.  I always look forward to "Live From" the majors and the other big championships like The Players.  The Golf Channel seemed to have come around at just the right time too.  Just two years prior to Tiger winning The Masters.  It makes me wonder if Golf Channel could have survived if not for the Tiger era.

Posted Image

I don't know if it could have survived without the Tiger era. UT definitely was perfect timing.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

They kinda lost me much like Golf Digest and trying to appeal to a "wider audience." I think they just turned off some of their core audience in doing so. I cancelled cable, and Golf Channel was one of the only reasons I still had it, so bravo, Golf Channel. Even though I didn't like their direction, it was still better than 99% of stuff on TV.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I don't know if it could have survived without the Tiger era. UT definitely was perfect timing.

No doubt, or at least in his prime. In contrast, The Back 9 Network, less than four months after opening its doors, can't even make payroll.

http://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2015/01/15/back9network-misses-payroll-cash-infusion-9288/

Posted Image

Never had cable, Dish, or Directv untl the Golf Channel came on. I started playing golf 23 years ago, so when GC was born, I had to have it. I was consumed by golf, since all other sports were essentially over for me and car racing became too expensive.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived