Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What Would You Tell Your 20-yr-old Self?

GolfSpy Barbajo

Neat article from the the Golf Channel...

20 Years of Golf: Players' advice to 20-year-old selves
January 15, 2015, 10:30 am
singh_1442_zurich14_d4_waiting.jpg

(Editor's note: Golf Channel turns 20 years old on Jan. 17. In recognition, we are looking back at golf over the last two decades with a series of articles and photo galleries throughout the week.)

If PGA Tour pros knew then what they know now, what would they do differently? On Golf Channel's 20th anniversary, here's what some would tell their 20-year-old selves:

“For me, everything I've been through, I'd say, listen to your body more. When you're hurt, get away, get healthy. I tried to play through numerous injuries, and it did nothing but cause me problems, further problems. So I would say, pay more attention to how I'm feeling and take a break.” David Duval

“I'd practice the short game harder. That's what I'd do if I was gonna do it again. Play golf more instead of getting too bogged down on the range, hitting balls. Those are the two things I'd probably do different if I could do it all over.” - Simon Dyson

“Careful what you say.” - Vijay Singh

“Just to be patient and that you're not as good as you think you are, and you need to put in a lot of hard work. Thankfully I kind of figured that out after a little while." - Chris Kirk

“To relax. Be patient with yourself, and not try to search everyday for the answers, just kind of gradually work on a game plan." - Brandt Snedeker

“Enjoy it. Because it goes really fast. If I could go back 20 years, just try your best to enjoy the rise. I think it can get kind of monotonous out here at times. A year leads into another year leads into another year, and as players, I think sometimes we forget what level we're playing at, and I think really quick it can all be gone. So, make sure you enjoy the climb upwards to get here.” - Briny Baird

“Just be a bit more patient, because I think when we're 20 years old or just a little after that – getting out of college – we try to make everything happen at once. And I know when I got out on the Tour, my first year was a bummer, man. And if I would have been a lot more patient there, it would have been better. But fortunately I was able to play better after that. I think we're just all in too big a hurry to make things happen.” - Andy Bean

“Just to have fun. As far as the golf goes, we're out here, we've got the best job there is and we beat ourselves up too much. We worked our whole life to get out here, so I'd say just to have fun and enjoy every day because life is short. Same advice for life. Just enjoy it, every day, every step. Just smile, have a good attitude.” - Charlie Beljan

“My biggest piece of advice would be to just not sweat every little detail. Because it always feels like, when you first come out here, you have to play great every tournament, that you have to play in every tournament. I probably did a little too much worrying in the past 20 years, that I probably would have saved years of my life in the next 20, if I had not done that much worrying. Don't sweat the small stuff.” - Stewart Cink

“You gotta believe in yourself. That's all you gotta do, really. Just believe in yourself, and try to be you.” - David Lingmerth

“Get in better shape, hit the ball harder. Definitely get stronger. If I'd have known 20 years ago how important power was going to be, I definitely would have tried to get stronger when I was younger. Growing up with equipment these days, if you grow up with the current equipment, you're definitely going to hit it harder and compress the ball more. So that would have been something, 20 years ago, I would have looked into.” - Greg Chalmers

“Don't go snowboarding until you finish your golf career, how's that? Action sports will always be there. Yeah, it's difficult, so many things. I would just say, keep things simple. Find out what works and keep repeating it. Certainly for golf, and I think it applies to a lot of stuff, there's no magic secret, there's no one size fits all. Find out what works and keep doing it, and make sure you enjoy the journey. Because it goes too quickly." - Paul Casey

“I wouldn't change anything now. I'm sure I've made mistakes, but nothing I haven't learned from so no, I wouldn't (give myself any advice). They were all good mistakes. I know I didn't get everything right, but I certainly wouldn't change any of my past, so I wouldn't give myself any advice.” -Padraig Harrington

“Go early to bed. Start maybe working out a little sooner. Stay patient. Stop smoking.” - Nicolas Colsaerts

"For God sakes ask Sally Szyczkowski out! What the hell's the matter with you??? The worst she can say is NO,' and I guaran-damn-tee you'll hear it plenty of times in the next 34 years!" - GolfSpy Barbajo

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm with Padraig on this one. Anything I might say to my 20 year old self might scare him off and then I wouldn't be here.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Well, my 20 year old self would be in 1979, so I'd say,

"Dude, you're gonna love it.   They are going to start making woods out of metal and although they'll get big and ugly and expensive, they'll be really easy to hit.   As an old man you'll hit your drives farther than Jim Dent does now.   Then they'll change the ball too.  Gone will be those pricey balata balls that cut and deform if you look at them sidewise.   These wonderous new balls will be the primary reason you'll feel like superman, but great improvements will be made in graphite shafts as well.   I know, you've tried a couple of those whippy graphite noodles and you couldn't control them.   Have patience, they'll get much better.  

The really good news is that after the rise and fall of an amazing 4 yr old golf talent who is playing on your home course right now, America will be vastly overbuilt with courses and then golf will suffer a tremendous drop-off in popularity.   The supply-demand curve will be so out of whack that you'll basically play for free and never have to make tee-times.  Enjoy it while you can, because those overbuilt courses will start to go out of business.   Hopefully, you'll be dead before the next correction cycle kicks in.

The bad news is that your handicap isn't going to go down much.   That's because the way you really lower your scores is from 120 yards in.   So Dude, take my advice and stop even trying to hit that H&B persimmon 1 wood.   REALLY work on your short game.   Science will take care of the rest.  

And oh, my the way, Laura Baugh isn't the hottest girl golfer in history.  Wait till you see what's coming."

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

To my young self: "You really should re-think that choice of Keith Richards, as your role-model."

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Shorten your swing, lengthen your hair and don't give the Marumans away.....

20 year old me was a bit conservative - so maybe I'd say go and take a year out and do a ski season; you've got 40+ years to work....

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I'd say you're doing a good job since I'm still in my 20s

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Jack Daniels is not your friend...that also goes for his buddies Jim Beam and Johnny Walker.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

All I'd say is "Keep up the good work!"

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Go to university and get a mechanical engineers degree.

Don't be such a ****head.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Take up golf. Don't wait 24 years.

Take lessons. Lots of them. Don't think you can learn this game by yourself.

Go to a golf course and find my current wife. You did it 35 years later, you can do it now.

Have more fun.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Learn well; the basic fundamentals of the golf swing. Practice more. Take more lessons. Stop trying to "kill it". Never take long spells off from the game. Listen to the older guys including parents. Stay in shape.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

It would not make any difference, I probably would not listen to me. After all, times have changed so much since I was 20. (not really, but that is what 20 year olds think.)

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Two words  Motivation and discipline. and like S&B said stay out of those bars and quit spending money on those darn race cars, hot rods and Harleys.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Trust your instincts, and don't follow, the crowd....

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Archived