Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

My custom Headcover

jmwils81

So I have been searching for a headcover for my 3W that matches my personality..... I should have known I would never find one. So I began researching and came across an article about turning a stuffed animal into a head cover. Genius, First off that is pretty much what the Daphene and other headcovers are. 

So I found a Stuffed animal I got when I was last in Iceland. IBV is a local sports complex and they are most known for their soccer club. The puffin is Iceland trademark pretty much.

I started very carefully pulling it apart seem by seem until I had an opening big enough. I pulled out about a grocery bag full of stuffing ( which seemed like a lot but it kept coming out and out and out). Below is the test fit to make sure the 3W fits comfortably on the Headcover and then in my bag. So far so good! 

Next up is lining the inside and adding a shaft protector to the bottom. I will update as I go along.

10933975_10205768548356019_8457577981562987428_n.jpg

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

At first when I saw your picture I thought you'd been to Bandon Dunes. http://bandondunesgolfshop.com/collections/best-sellers/products/bandon-dunes-puffin-headcover

You're a pretty crafty dude. By the way... if you haven't been to Bandon. Go.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I haven't been to bandon yet, it's on my list!

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm

Good work I saw the idea when MBP and Rookie I think did that same thing with a Yeti or whatever the heck it was.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

It's a Yeti alright.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I tried one of these with a Billy doll (the doll in the movie Saw).  Eventually, I quit wrestling with it and said heck with it and gave up.  Don't do that.  Wished I'd have figured it out but it was so much easier to pay someone to make me some headcovers (though I did just make a cover for my alignment sticks from some leftover upholstery material we had from a project of the wife's.  Faux ostrich leather in tan).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I wish I had made some covers or used an old sock or something I scratched the heck out of my Hathaway driver the second week I had it. I did not see but the alignment sticks got under the head cover somehow. I ended up gluing two automotive rubber vacuum caps to one end of the sticks but they are not anything exotic they are Home Depot Tour Issue driveway markers.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Pop the rubber caps off and put a dab of superglue on there to hold them on

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I actually used club epoxy on them

G

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm all done. I pulled out the stuffing and turned it inside out. Sewed a black sock to the neck of the puffin. Put my 3wood in there and filled the cavity with enough stuffing to keep the shape. Sewed up the sides and then sewed all the way around the sock to seal the headcover. Overall, time consuming but no one else has this headcover!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks good!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Love it! Great job. I can't sew and neither can my wife.

Your puffin would look good with my buddies Jimmy Buffett Margaritaville Parrot.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived