TESTERS WANTED! ×

Worst equipment purchase?

Mr_Theoo

With the PGA show this week and loads of new clubs coming to retail soon, I got to wondering what is the worst club or other golf related product you ever spent money on?

For me it was the Long Tom 2 wood. Even though it was cheap it didn't help on the course.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Speed blades with Senior Shafts - long story - as it turns out though TMag cheats its iron shafts a bit so that they are actually weaker than advertised - I should be in a S flex with the Speed blades.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I own the Hammer by Jack Hamm......alcohol and an eBay password are not a good mix.  It was only $10 shipped to my house but the shame was much more.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I own the Hammer by Jack Hamm......alcohol and an eBay password are not a good mix. It was only $10 shipped to my house but the shame was much more.

Lol I've had many drunken purchases. Most of them were food though.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

With the PGA show this week and loads of new clubs coming to retail soon, I got to wondering what is the worst club or other golf related product you ever spent money on?

For me it was the Long Tom 2 wood. Even though it was cheap it didn't help on the course.

I demo'ed the Long Tom.  Never felt good to me.  Sorry.

Actually, I haven't been too unhappy with any purchase, but if I had to pick, it would be the pre-2010 Titleist Vokey SW and LW.  Surprised??  Yeah, me too.  I bought these to replace my Ping Eye 2's.  They never felt that good to me, and I ended up going back to the Pings.  But that led me to the SCORs, so if I did like the Vokeys, I wouldn't have the SCORs today!  BTW, anyone want them??  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Jmike All I can say is it must have been a Hell of a lot of alcohol!!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

It was like having to face my shame four business days later.  I think I actually gave up drinking for a week or two after this one and the rule going forward is my iPad and phone are taken away after 8 beers.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Hey!  I always wanted to try one.  Guess I didn't have enough to drink.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My worst by far was the Callaway FT-I.... I don't know or want to remember how much crap I got for that square thing. I vaguely remember thinking the square head would help with alignment or something like that..... Yea I'll go with that.

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

I bought one of these mothers in a lob wedge once. Then I sold it shortly thereafter. LOL

cleveland-vas-1.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I bought one of these mothers in a lob wedge once. Then I sold it shortly thereafter. LOL

attachicon.gifcleveland-vas-1.jpg

I played the 2 iron in college and could not consider it since I absolutely killed that thing off the tee.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Hey!  I always wanted to try one.  Guess I didn't have enough to drink.

No you really don't.  It is kind of like riding a moped; it may be fun but you don't want your buddies to see you on one.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

These came out just about the time I started playing golf.  Someone had a set and I tried them.  I thought they were pretty good; kinda cute in an ugly sorta way.

No you really don't.  It is kind of like riding a moped; it may be fun but you don't want your buddies to see you on one.

My wife and I ride a Honda VTX 1800C, so I know what you mean.  Every time we see a moped, my wife yells "SCOOTER!"

These came out just about the time I started playing golf.  Someone had a set and I tried them.  I thought they were pretty good; kinda cute in an ugly sorta way.

I just sold a 3-PW set. I always liked them. Good irons if you can get past the look.

COBRA KING LTD Matrix Ozik HD6

ADAMS Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

CLEVELAND GlideRail 20.5* Kuro Kage 80i

CALLAWAY Apex Forged 5-PW UST Recoil 680

INNOVEX Type S GDT 50* & 54* Kuro Kage 80i

ODYSSEY Tri-ball SRT 34"

I too have hit the VAS.   Unquestionably the ugliest irons ever made, but they hit pretty nicely.   

My biggest regret was selling my first set of Ping Eye 2's for the Callaway S2H2 irons which I never hit well from day one to the last day 3 years later when I sold them and bought Eye2 coppers again.   BTW, I was hitting those S2H2's badly when I tried the VAS and hit them better.  

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Nike CCI irons (non forged) - just rubbish. Sold after 2 weeks

RBZ 3 wood (non tour) - just no good off the deck at all.

Titleist 907d2 driver - bought for the name, should have tried it more. Cost me 25 yards!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I own the Hammer by Jack Hamm......alcohol and an eBay password are not a good mix.  It was only $10 shipped to my house but the shame was much more.

A part of the downsizing for us was changing the Ebay, PayPal, password. No more late night orders, see the speed blades withe senior shafts, customized so that they could not be returned.

I was really desperate with my game this time last year.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

TM rescue and 4 wood...just couldn't hit those suckers worth a damn. Oh, and a bag cart...used it two or three times and it now sits in the basement mocking me.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

YOU WIN !!!!

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Traded in my Callaway Fusion irons for the New Fusion wide sole irons......Just could not hit the wider sole so I sold them to a friend for $400.  That was 5 years ago......and he still games them.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

The list of experiments that haven't worked for me is long, but distinguished :)

Top of the list on my failed experiments would the RBZ Stage 2 Tour driver, Seemore Big FGP center shafted belly putter and a random left handed putter I got from Dicks.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Nike CCI irons (non forged) - just rubbish. Sold after 2 weeks

RBZ 3 wood (non tour) - just no good off the deck at all.

Titleist 907d2 driver - bought for the name, should have tried it more. Cost me 25 yards!

westy,

what was wrong with the RBZ?  It has been the best off the deck for me, although I am currently looking for a replacement.

Kenny, it was too tall - I looked down at it and just couldn't picture hitting it well. The stage 2 tour isn't as tall and it's so much better. The original may have been a bit longer off the tee, but that's not what I needed.....

It was like carrying two drivers really

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Callaway Big Bertha driver, circa 1995, 9.5 deg with a Ricoh "firm" shaft, bought it off the rack on the way to a weekend golf outing.    Thing was expensive for those days too.  

That shaft was horrible for me.  The ball flight was similar to how those give-away t-shirts fly when they are shot out of those air guns at hockey and basketball games. Or maybe a badminton serve.

Damn I was stupid.   (my wife would disagree about the use of past tense in that last sentence)

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

From a long list of dubious purchases, for me it was the Feel Golf 73* wedge.  Using a full swing to fly high, to a spot 10 feet away wasn't a particularly useful shot for me...

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

From a long list of dubious purchases, for me it was the Feel Golf 73* wedge.  Using a full swing to fly high, to a spot 10 feet away wasn't a particularly useful shot for me...

I wish you had a video of your 10 foot SuperLob wedge shot.....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I wish you had a video of your 10 foot SuperLob wedge shot.....

LOL, that would be funny but that club is long gone ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I guess "disappointment" is the operative word. Got 22 & 25 Adams LS Hybrids and just did not hit them well at all. Little flat for me and when I did make contact, they liked to hook. Spent a really good chunk of change on them. Very disappointed.

That, and I don't think I'll ever get a set of irons blueprinted ever again. No one cares, and most assuredly its money out the window if you go to sell them.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Archived