Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Worst equipment purchase?

Mr_Theoo

For me... it's the SLDR driver. For those of you who followed, I raved a lot about the driver, and how the fitting process found me the supposedly best shaft combo for my swing.

Well... the honeymoon period is over. The SLDR depends on me having all cylinders firing well at the same time too much, and there's way too much hit & pray involved. Think I'll fall back on my old cleveland dst driver.

Think I'll probably eBay it sometime soon.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

For me it was the original Nike driver, you remember the blue one. It was awful. How bad was it? It was so bad the Callaway C4 almost replaced it. I still cannot look at a Nike golf clubs no matter how much they get raved. 

Driver: Call Epic 9* Stock Fujikura FW: Cally Rogue 17* R Hybrid: Titleis 910h 21* Blue Diamana Irons: Mizuno 850 Forged 5-G Nippon 1150 2 up 0.5" Sand: 54* Vokey SM6 M Grind Lob: 58* Vokey SM6 K Grind Putter: Scotty Select Newport 2 35"

From a long list of dubious purchases, for me it was the Feel Golf 73* wedge.  Using a full swing to fly high, to a spot 10 feet away wasn't a particularly useful shot for me...

I never tried one of those...I was always afraid of smacking myself in the face with the ball from so much loft!!!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

So I sold my Rocketbladez right before our city tournament and bought some old ping zings.  Reshafted with KBS Tour shafts.  Didn't even have a 9 iron.  I hated the Rocketbladez.  Needless to say, there has been much innovation in irons since the zings.  Lost 2 clubs distance, could never figure out how far to hit an iron.  2 round tournament, missed every par 3 green but one.  Lost by 2 shots.  Bad purchase.

Driver:         Taylormade SIM 8^  Shaft: Evolution III 6X

3 Wood:      Titleist  TSi3 13.5^   Shaft:  Project X Smoke Black RDX 6.5

2 Hybrid:     Callaway Mavrik Pro  Shaft: Project X EvenFlow Black 85X

3/5 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2            Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 85X

Irons:           Taylormade P790      Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S (6-PW)

50 Degree: Taylormade P770       Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S

55/60:        Cleveland RTX Zipcore    Shaft: DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter:        Bettinardi MK Armlock

Maybe this should go in the Confessional thread -- but I had a Sasquatch Sumo2 for about 4 months.  Cannot stress how much I hated that driver -- it was like swinging an oil can on the end of a stick. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Maybe this should go in the Confessional thread -- but I had a Sasquatch Sumo2 for about 4 months.  Cannot stress how much I hated that driver -- it was like swinging an oil can on the end of a stick. 

My fitter and I once joked about setting up a can on broom handle to establish a baseline for testing - lol

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

So I sold my Rocketbladez right before our city tournament and bought some old ping zings.  Reshafted with KBS Tour shafts.  Didn't even have a 9 iron.  I hated the Rocketbladez.  Needless to say, there has been much innovation in irons since the zings.  Lost 2 clubs distance, could never figure out how far to hit an iron.  2 round tournament, missed every par 3 green but one.  Lost by 2 shots.  Bad purchase.

The Zings weren't the best Pings made, but there is one whole club difference in loft between the Zings and the Bladzs.  Even with the reshaft, I bet you hit them pretty high which probably accounted for another club loss in distance.  Still pretty good, playing with different equipment and only losing by 2!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It was like having to face my shame four business days later.  I think I actually gave up drinking for a week or two after this one and the rule going forward is my iPad and phone are taken away after 8 beers.

The correct response should had been... go get some more drinks to drown out the shame.

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

For me it was the original Nike driver, you remember the blue one. It was awful. How bad was it? It was so bad the Callaway C4 almost replaced it. I still cannot look at a Nike golf clubs no matter how much they get raved. 

I had that one! When it first came out, I bought the 400 cc version... which apparently was good enough for my hacker swing. But then I dented the clubhead at the driving range when I took a practise swing and hit a pillar on the back swing. Can't believe how fragile it was.

After that dent, it never feel quite the same, and I quickly trade it off for a TM driver (I think... that was so many years ago).

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

The only one was a 56 degree wedge. I don't know what it is about that degree, but still can't hit it to this day. Also bought a 54 degree wedge I hit the same distance as a 52 but needed better gaps. Ended up getting a 52 and 58 and it's really been about the best spread I can ask without gaming a 56.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

From childhood: Wilson Blue Ridge golf balls my dad and I bought together. What I think of whenever someone describes a ball as a "marshmallow".

As an adult: Cleveland CG14 wedges and brush tees. Never again!

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

The only one was a 56 degree wedge. I don't know what it is about that degree, but still can't hit it to this day. Also bought a 54 degree wedge I hit the same distance as a 52 but needed better gaps. Ended up getting a 52 and 58 and it's really been about the best spread I can ask without gaming a 56.

Probably its the bounce. 56 deg wedges are usually designed to be a sand wedge with rather substantial bounce. Unless you are hitting it off very fluffy lie or soft sand, you just may not like it very much.

I'm just guessing.

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha. All looks, 0 performance.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

An Alien 3 square shaped 3 wood. The shaft snapped in half on the 3rd swing. lol

Ping K15 10.5° Regular TFC

Maxfli 3 Wood 15° Regular Series 76 tip stiff

Adams A12OS 19° 3 Hybrid Pro Launch Blue Regular

Wilson Staff C-100 4-GW Aldila RIP Phenom xi75 Regular

TMag ATV 54° & 58° Wedges KBS wedge flex

YES Callie-12 C-Groove milled, 35" Winn Jumbo Light grip

I bought a new Cleveland Classic. Was supposed to be low spin. I think it was actually no spin. I couldn't get it more than 20 feet high.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Years ago when I first really started "getting into" golf again in my 20's, I thought I needed gadgets. I am ashamed to admit to purchasing one of those "Check-Go" golf ball spinners that was supposed to identify the heavy side of the ball and it equator.

It did one thing very well: make a sharpie marker mess out of a ball.

Right now, its still tied with the Adams LS hybrids as my WORST purchase EVER.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Cleveland cg15 wedges weren't good for me, loved my cg10's as well.......

Howson Hippo driver.....

Beautiful though they were my Mizuno bell 3 irons, not a good fit for my game!

Every time I look at this thread more come to mind, that's a bad sign isn't it.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I own the Hammer by Jack Hamm......alcohol and an eBay password are not a good mix.  It was only $10 shipped to my house but the shame was much more.

Gotta disagree. In 2007 At the region 4 Remax LD qualifier in Ohio I hit 327 (old super senior division) with a SuperPro, the USGA legal Hammer driver head. Those clubs do perform, you just have to give them a chance!

When I first started golfing I though the chipping irons were an amazing idea. All i ever did was blade it with those clubs!

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Years ago when I first really started "getting into" golf again in my 20's, I thought I needed gadgets. I am ashamed to admit to purchasing one of those "Check-Go" golf ball spinners that was supposed to identify the heavy side of the ball and it equator.

Right now, its still tied with the Adams LS hybrids as my WORST purchase EVER.

I owned one of those too!   They did work on Balata balls in the old days, but with modern solid core balls not at all.  Balata weren't perfectly symetrical in their weight distribution so the balls would return to the same axis of rotation that favored the imbalance every time, but once the era of the symetrical ProV arrived, it was game over for the Check N Go.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really have any except for the clubs that I bought and then realized that either they sucked or I sucked, and they were the clubs that pointed me in the right direction, so even though they may have been bad purchases, they pointed me to you, or I mean to my current bag.

Worst purchase, luckily it was a demo purchase, but it was the R1, worst driver ever

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

For me, I have to say the Wilson Staff spine driver. Man, that thing sounded like I was hitting a softball lol. Other than that, the Cobra ZL driver. It was good for one season and the next I lost at least 50 yards off the tee. It's like the head went dead. A bionik putter I had custom made. I like soft milled putters and that thing was very harsh feeling.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I have spent a lot of money and effort trying to find the perfect fairway metals and hybrids. It turns out that Titleist 980F's are some of the longest and most accurate I have ever hit. I just had to learn to make good swings with them and they will take care of the rest.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

The Callaway C4 driver!! Absolutely the worst driver ever. Next is a 2-ball belly putter I bought it an tried it in my club championship in the first round I had 6 3-putts shot 81 then switched back the next day shot 70 and lost by 1 shot

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I had one of these as well.....you are so correct. my balls had so many lines on them that I was embarassed to use them......I did not list it because I got it for free.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I had one of these as well.....you are so correct. my balls had so many lines on them that I was embarassed to use them......I did not list it because I got it for free.

It was funny...I was able to sell the dang thing on Ebay and almost got my money back on it. I wish clubs had as good a resale value these days! LOL!

They reminded my of the school fair as a kid. They'd have those paint splatter paintings you could make dropping paint on a rotating piece of cardboard. Same effect. ha!

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Archived