Worst equipment purchase?

Our Sponsors

Traded in my Callaway Fusion irons for the New Fusion wide sole irons......Just could not hit the wider sole so I sold them to a friend for $400.  That was 5 years ago......and he still games them.

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I own the Hammer by Jack Hamm......alcohol and an eBay password are not a good mix.  It was only $10 shipped to my house but the shame was much more.

I bought one of these mothers in a lob wedge once. Then I sold it shortly thereafter. LOL  

From a long list of dubious purchases, for me it was the Feel Golf 73* wedge.  Using a full swing to fly high, to a spot 10 feet away wasn't a particularly useful shot for me...

Posted Images

The list of experiments that haven't worked for me is long, but distinguished :)

Top of the list on my failed experiments would the RBZ Stage 2 Tour driver, Seemore Big FGP center shafted belly putter and a random left handed putter I got from Dicks.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Nike CCI irons (non forged) - just rubbish. Sold after 2 weeks

RBZ 3 wood (non tour) - just no good off the deck at all.

Titleist 907d2 driver - bought for the name, should have tried it more. Cost me 25 yards!

westy,

what was wrong with the RBZ?  It has been the best off the deck for me, although I am currently looking for a replacement.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Kenny, it was too tall - I looked down at it and just couldn't picture hitting it well. The stage 2 tour isn't as tall and it's so much better. The original may have been a bit longer off the tee, but that's not what I needed.....

It was like carrying two drivers really

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Callaway Big Bertha driver, circa 1995, 9.5 deg with a Ricoh "firm" shaft, bought it off the rack on the way to a weekend golf outing.    Thing was expensive for those days too.  

That shaft was horrible for me.  The ball flight was similar to how those give-away t-shirts fly when they are shot out of those air guns at hockey and basketball games. Or maybe a badminton serve.

Damn I was stupid.   (my wife would disagree about the use of past tense in that last sentence)

• Like 2

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

From a long list of dubious purchases, for me it was the Feel Golf 73* wedge.  Using a full swing to fly high, to a spot 10 feet away wasn't a particularly useful shot for me...

• Like 3

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

I wish you had a video of your 10 foot SuperLob wedge shot.....

• Like 1

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

I wish you had a video of your 10 foot SuperLob wedge shot.....

LOL, that would be funny but that club is long gone ;)

What's In The Bag

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

I guess "disappointment" is the operative word. Got 22 & 25 Adams LS Hybrids and just did not hit them well at all. Little flat for me and when I did make contact, they liked to hook. Spent a really good chunk of change on them. Very disappointed.

That, and I don't think I'll ever get a set of irons blueprinted ever again. No one cares, and most assuredly its money out the window if you go to sell them.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

• 2 weeks later...

For me... it's the SLDR driver. For those of you who followed, I raved a lot about the driver, and how the fitting process found me the supposedly best shaft combo for my swing.

Well... the honeymoon period is over. The SLDR depends on me having all cylinders firing well at the same time too much, and there's way too much hit & pray involved. Think I'll fall back on my old cleveland dst driver.

Think I'll probably eBay it sometime soon.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

For me it was the original Nike driver, you remember the blue one. It was awful. How bad was it? It was so bad the Callaway C4 almost replaced it. I still cannot look at a Nike golf clubs no matter how much they get raved. 

Driver: Call Epic 9* Stock Fujikura FW: Cally Rogue 17* R Hybrid: Titleis 910h 21* Blue Diamana Irons: Mizuno 850 Forged 5-G Nippon 1150 2 up 0.5" Sand: 54* Vokey SM6 M Grind Lob: 58* Vokey SM6 K Grind Putter: Scotty Select Newport 2 35"

I never tried one of those...I was always afraid of smacking myself in the face with the ball from so much loft!!!

• Like 1

BIRDIE COACH & MENTOR, FIRST TEE OF GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 12.6 (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, JULY 2020
:titelist-small: TS2 Driver Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
 :callaway-small: PM Grind Wedges
:bettinardi-1:  Putter

:bridgestone-small: 2020 TOUR B RXS
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 3.5 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

So I sold my Rocketbladez right before our city tournament and bought some old ping zings.  Reshafted with KBS Tour shafts.  Didn't even have a 9 iron.  I hated the Rocketbladez.  Needless to say, there has been much innovation in irons since the zings.  Lost 2 clubs distance, could never figure out how far to hit an iron.  2 round tournament, missed every par 3 green but one.  Lost by 2 shots.  Bad purchase.

Driver:         Taylormade SIM 8^  Shaft: Evolution III 6X

3 Wood:      Titleist  TSi3 13.5^   Shaft:  Project X Smoke Black RDX 6.5

2 Hybrid:     Callaway Mavrik Pro  Shaft: Project X EvenFlow Black 85X

3/5 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2            Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 85X

Irons:           Taylormade P790      Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S (6-PW)

50 Degree: Taylormade P770       Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S

55/60:        Cleveland RTX Zipcore    Shaft: DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter:        Bettinardi MK Armlock

Maybe this should go in the Confessional thread -- but I had a Sasquatch Sumo2 for about 4 months.  Cannot stress how much I hated that driver -- it was like swinging an oil can on the end of a stick. 

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Maybe this should go in the Confessional thread -- but I had a Sasquatch Sumo2 for about 4 months.  Cannot stress how much I hated that driver -- it was like swinging an oil can on the end of a stick. 

My fitter and I once joked about setting up a can on broom handle to establish a baseline for testing - lol

What's In The Bag

Fairway Wood

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

So I sold my Rocketbladez right before our city tournament and bought some old ping zings.  Reshafted with KBS Tour shafts.  Didn't even have a 9 iron.  I hated the Rocketbladez.  Needless to say, there has been much innovation in irons since the zings.  Lost 2 clubs distance, could never figure out how far to hit an iron.  2 round tournament, missed every par 3 green but one.  Lost by 2 shots.  Bad purchase.

The Zings weren't the best Pings made, but there is one whole club difference in loft between the Zings and the Bladzs.  Even with the reshaft, I bet you hit them pretty high which probably accounted for another club loss in distance.  Still pretty good, playing with different equipment and only losing by 2!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It was like having to face my shame four business days later.  I think I actually gave up drinking for a week or two after this one and the rule going forward is my iPad and phone are taken away after 8 beers.

The correct response should had been... go get some more drinks to drown out the shame.

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

For me it was the original Nike driver, you remember the blue one. It was awful. How bad was it? It was so bad the Callaway C4 almost replaced it. I still cannot look at a Nike golf clubs no matter how much they get raved. 

I had that one! When it first came out, I bought the 400 cc version... which apparently was good enough for my hacker swing. But then I dented the clubhead at the driving range when I took a practise swing and hit a pillar on the back swing. Can't believe how fragile it was.

After that dent, it never feel quite the same, and I quickly trade it off for a TM driver (I think... that was so many years ago).

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

The only one was a 56 degree wedge. I don't know what it is about that degree, but still can't hit it to this day. Also bought a 54 degree wedge I hit the same distance as a 52 but needed better gaps. Ended up getting a 52 and 58 and it's really been about the best spread I can ask without gaming a 56.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours