TESTERS WANTED! ×

SNEAK PEAK! New Hogan Irons Seen Here FIRST!

Here they are, gang -- first place anywhere!!!

image1.PNG

image2.PNG

image3.PNG

So the wait is over - Whaddya think?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

dang - they do look SCOResque - what's the FT WORTH on the hosel? looks like there's a chunk of muscle there ... I'm not really sure how I feel about them to be perfectly honest. Really like the irons, not overly fussed on the shape of the wedges - though that could be the angle...

markB nailed it in the other forum -- very reminiscent of the '99 Apex blades...

apex0.jpg

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

OK, These are good looking irons and perhaps I am in the market for new irons this year after all.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

dang - they do look SCOResque - what's the FT WORTH on the hosel? looks like there's a chunk of muscle there ... I'm not really sure how I feel about them to be perfectly honest. Really like the irons, not overly fussed on the shape of the wedges - though that could be the angle...

Fort Worth Texas

Now that I've seen these I'm still not excited about them...

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I still haven't heard anything about shaft options. I would have to try one to see if it is something that I can hit. Like them though.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The Irons look pretty good. I mean, It's a classic blade, Not much could go wrong there. But, those wedges!??? Is it the angle? They look like some sort of GI, overly wide soled wedge without any sort of grind to them.

Driver: :adams-small: XTD Ti 9* Matrix Ozik Red Tie s flex                        

Fairway: :cobra-small: AMP 15* Aldila RIP s flex               

Hybrid:  :cleveland-small: 588 Custom 20.5* Matrix Ozik Altus

Irons: :taylormade-small:  2014 Tour Preferred MC 4-pw w/ KBS Tour s flex +1"  

Wedges:  :scatch-golf-1: 8620 50*DD w/ KBS Rev, 54* and 58* DD w/ KBS C-Taper  

Putter: :bridgestone-small:  TD-01 True Balance 34"

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the blade on blade look and the angular protruding muscle. I'll take the Scor look over that any day. It could grow on me I guess. It's just preference. I could likely fall in love with them after playing them.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Ahem... taking a deep, mock-humble bow and failing to resist the urge to say ITYS....

hogan release.jpg

I'd love to have you all believe I had penetrated the vault at Hogan, but I had NO advance insight or intelligence as to what the actual design would look like.   The only piece of real information I got from Hogan was that the clubs would be sold BY DEGREE and we'd have to get used to it.   I promised not to spill the beans on that one and didn't until I saw in the website that that was, indeed, how they'd be sold.  And futhermore,  I promise, from this point forward, NEVER to refer to any Hogan iron using the "archaic" 1-9 numbering system, so help me Ben!

My photoshop guess (which I made in September) was purely based on what I thought they would look like given their stated design principles and the muscle technology they were working in the Scor wedges.   However, I was told in the last week by a couple of guys who had seen them that my guess was very, very close.  I'm proud I got the redline right and omitted the starburst.   I can only wonder what Terry and Barry thought when they saw my guess pop up back in the fall.

Now for what I think about the clubs.

My first reaction was that they were too angular and had too much writing on them.

My second reaction after studying them was to recognize that everything that is at work in the Scors is also present here.   I have nothing to complain about.   The cut muscle moves in just the same way as the Scors while giving way cosmetically to the blade-on-blade look that Hogan afficionados want.   That muscle moves up the clubface at the critical juncture in the 45 to 33 degree clubs, RIGHT where you need it to help you with approach shots out of the rough!   And of course that muscle cut is VERY deep on the long irons, transitioning those clubs into perimeter weighted sticks in order to make them work in the modern world.  

Yes the set is "progressive" just as I hoped.   In fact, it has absolutely everything I asked for in all my previous posts.   Progressive, cut muscle, sold BY INDIVIDUAL irons, sold by degrees, v-sole, maintains continuity with Scors.   It's as if the boys in Ft. Worth were actually listening to us!   You brave souls who plunked down your $500 did not waste your money.   I'm weeping, I'm so happy.  Goodbye Speedblades!  When I sell you off I can afford exactly 2 new Hogan clubs.

And once again I want to thank the Rev, Mmmmbuddy, and the other guys who did the Scor test last year for turning me on to those fine wedges.  I think many people who never bothered to try the Scors will try these and go "Damn!" just like we did.   I think that with the Srixons and these sporting v-soles a lot of people will be looking at their nice clean dollar bill scalped divots and go "Damn!" just like we did.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I will admit I was not a Hogan iron fan back in the day except for the wedges. Nothing absolutely wrong with them they just did not sit well or fit my eye. Now this thing with the degree instead of the number I don't know about. Now from the pics they do look stunning but as most of you already know about me I would have to see and feel them in person to really form an honest opinion.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Tried the "HoganFit" function in the website this morning - pretty darned thorough. Sure seems like they're keeping the SCOR philosophy of concentrating on 150 yards and in.

What do you guys think of the clubs marked with lofts instead of the traditional iron number? I teresti g that the Ft. Worth irons are available in any from the a 20* to a 47* iron, with the wedges ranging from 48* up to 63*.

Getting ready to take off from Minneapolis. Hogan will be one of the first stops when I hit the demo day this afternoon.

Can't wait to see them in the flesh...err, I mean chrome.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Barbajo I think we beat the loft thing to death. I would adapt and anyway my "numbered" clubs are often jimmied. Do we have a sense of whom might carry these? I would love to demo a 6 iron. Of course they look beautiful and scary at the same time. But if they can get a middle iron to preform like the wedges I'd sure jump at the chance to play it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Looked at the Hogan Fit, but it looks as though you need a username and password, but there's nowhere to register for one...I'm hoping they do a fire sale on the SCOR wedges so I can pick up the 3 I need.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I don't regret putting a deposit down. As far as looks go, I like what I've seen so far. Everything else is up in the air. Not sure I'm all in on these yet. If they're reasonably priced I'll just do it since I already have the deposit down. If not, I might have to pull it back and just order a 6 iron equivalent to try out (which is my only real way to try these out). I'm interested to see how they compare to my S55s.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I like the loft stamped on the bottom except for one thing...if you decide to tweak a loft it's now different than stated. I realize the concept is to get fit for proper gapping, order the exact lofts you need and leave them alone, which is great. It just won't really go that way a lot of the time with anyone who's a tinkerer I imagine.

Barbajo I think we beat the loft thing to death. I would adapt and anyway my "numbered" clubs are often jimmied. Do we have a sense of whom might carry these? I would love to demo a 6 iron. Of course they look beautiful and scary at the same time. But if they can get a middle iron to preform like the wedges I'd sure jump at the chance to play it.

I'm going to meet with their eCommerce guy at the Demo Day today - will get to hit these bad boys and will try to get some answers for you.  I've heard rumors they want to find fitter-partners, but don't know for sure.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Looks like HoganFit is down for now -- 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I like the simple smooth looks of the Hogan irons.  Will want to hit them soon.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I believe the starting price is $149 a club in steel.   Doesn't it say that in your preview letters?

Shaft choices are the same as in Scors, I believe.

The best thing about the "sell by degrees" is no more arguments over jacked lofts!  Your loft is your loft.  I'm aiming for a 23, 27, 31, 35 myself.   I think I'll keep my SB 3 and 4 and my Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58.

PerimeterWeighting_3Clubs.png

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I believe the starting price is $149 a club in steel.   Doesn't it say that in your preview letters?

Shaft choices are the same as in Scors, I believe.

The best thing about the "sell by degrees" is no more arguments over jacked lofts!  You loft is your loft.  I'm aiming for a 23, 27, 31, 35 myself.   I think I'll keep my SB 3 and 4 and my Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58.

OK, we need to somehow combine these Hogan threads or decide on which one to use.  Too many to keep track of.

I like the Fort Worth irons, but I am glad I have the SCORs vs. the TK wedges.

Since I only need 5-8, buying each club is not bad, but maybe someone could ask if us SCOR guys will get a break on the starting price.

"Shaft choices are the same as in the Scors, I believe."  I hope.  Will they be the same UST shaft with the same Genius marking or will they be marked as "Ben Hogan?"

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Website shows KBS Tour and Tour Lite, plus the Recoil.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Website shows KBS Tour and Tour Lite, plus the Recoil.

Which is basically "Genius 12" and "Genius 10"   KBS 110 and 90 respectively, plus the recoil.   I hit the 90's in my 40 & 45, the 110's in the rest and will get 90's in the 5-8 in order to get them up.

Yah, we do need the mod's to merge the 3 separate threads.

Price hasn't been in any of the emails I've received. Although $150 per club makes sense. You would think there would be some type of discount at some point through either MGS or being a SCOR owner which is why I'm hesitant to pay full price for them. I played some frozen golf again this morning and the more I play the S55s the more I like them. Decisions, decisions.

The Recoil is a nice shaft.  Wonder which model they are using.  Does the Hogan iron  have the tapered hosel or is it the .370?

I was told by SCOR last fall that their Genius 9 graphite shaft closest resembled the UST ProForce RV2 95, but I just went to the UST website and the RV2 95 is gone.  The RV2 75 is still there.  Makes me think they discontinued the 95 with the Hogans going with the Recoil.  But most Recoils are tapered, so likely the Hogans are also tapered.  Lots of Recoil models.

Price hasn't been in any of the emails I've received. Although $150 per club makes sense. You would think there would be some type of discount at some point through either MGS or being a SCOR owner which is why I'm hesitant to pay full price for them. I played some frozen golf again this morning and the more I play the S55s the more I like them. Decisions, decisions.

Just wait for your insider offer to see how far the $500 will stretch.   At least 4 clubs worth I'm guessing.   If you don't want yours, I'll buy you out.   I've seen enough to kick myself for not putting my $500 down.

We'll have to see what happens next. It would be cool if they had the HoganFit or something opened up for us.

Also Mark, if I'm not mistaken, I think you can still put the deposit down through the SCOR website. It should come up if you still have the first email they sent out about the reservations.

Archived