TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is This The Future Of Putter Shafts?

I think this is a Joke for 2 Reasons.

1. I have yet to golf at a course in my life where the stimpmeter reading is public knowledge. Granted I haven't golfed at a course lets say, like Pebble so my opinion on this might be slightly biased.

2. Having a background in Turf management I was taught that a stimpmeter is used to give a basic reading on the consistancy of the greens. Sure the PGA uses the stimpeter reading as a speed rating, but its soul purpose is to gauge the consistancy of each green. EG) If hole one at any given course stimps at 10 by the time you get to 18 the stimp reading on that green may have changed to 8 within the 4 hrs of a round of golf.

Not only that but soon golfers will be armed with a whole arsenal of tools to change the weights in the drivers, hybrids, fwy woods, and now putters. Can you imagine golfing behind someone who changes the weights in every club before every shoot. Far fetched I know but I can see it happening.

Fairways and Greens

To answer the question of "Would you try this for $20?" I say no. I have a putter that is the perfect weight for me for any speed or greens. I also have putters that are lighter or heavier if I wanted to have something different. Now, obviously, not everyone has these options so this system might be good for them, but for me it's a non-starter.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

My buddy has a Wilson center shaft putter than has adjustable weights that slide into the shaft, both the butt and the head end. Lots of putters have adjustable weights in the head for thier very purpose. I think its a reasonable adjustment but I don't find any of thier putters attractive and don't see myself going to the trouble of having thier shaft installed on a putter head I like, plus there's the problem of specially bent shafts and alignment aids, etc. For this to work its going to have to be technology incorporated by the putter manufacturers, and its going to have to be cleaned up A LOT. Thicker putter shafts and weights and screws just aren't going to cut it, imo. But the idea is sound, it just needs refining.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• 1 month later...

Not really sure how an adjusted shaft weight would affect a putt on a speed rated green...

I like a heavy weighted putter head; I tend to be a bit heavy handed with my putting, the lighter the putter the harder/faster I tend to hit the ball, shooting the ball across the green. With a heavy weighted putter head, it tends to require more effort to swing the club and therefore slowing down my swing to where I can gain much more feel and control...

As for adjusting a putter shaft according to green speed, that's something can of worms...

These days, it's way too easy to get lost in all this adjusting and tweaking of things... we've got adjustable heads, adjustable hosels, adjustable shafts... what's next, adjustable grips??? gloves??? grooves??? or maybe shoes??? balls??? body gear???

just sell us a robot that can play for us and we can sit at home and watch our adjustable-selves hit perfectly adjusted golf shots...

or we can simply take a ball and hit it with a golf-stick and the simply enjoy the challenge of getting it in this little hole several yards away...

In my  :callaway-small: 2018 Org14 Cart Bag I have:

:callaway-small: Epic Max 10.5°

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Fairway 3W 15° & 5W 18°, Project X Even Flow 65-R

:callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3-H 18° (+2° set to 20°), Steelfiber fc-75

:callaway-small: 2019 Big Bertha 4-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil ZT9 460 Graphite

:callaway-small: 2019 PM Grind Tour Grey 56/14, JAWS MD5 52/10

:odyssey-small: Triple Track DoubleWide, Stroke Lab 32in shaft, SuperStroke WristLock Grip

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft Yellow, Triple Track, Truvis, Supersoft, Kirkland 3-piece

Not for me - I'm already confused with 746 different adjustments for my driver :)

TM Superdeep TP 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard

TEE CB3 15 Motore Tour

Adams Idea Pro Tour Issue 20 KBS Hybrid

Titleist AP2 4-PW KBS Stiff

Taylormade XFT 52, 58, 64 KBS Hi-Rev Stiff

Cameron Coronado Welded Neck T Stamp

Taylormade Red (If they still made em)

If I were a clubfitter I would probably rig something similar to use to fit someone with a hopefully ideal putter. However i have doubts it would be acceptable on the fairways. Golf is already slow enough as things stand.

Shambles

seems way too confusing. no thanks. poor putters should work on their stroke, not buy all this goofy stuff.

"Hey Ace... You got any more of that gum?" "That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you for staying out of my personal affairs." - Ace Ventura Pet Detective

seems way too confusing. no thanks. poor putters should work on their stroke, not buy all this goofy stuff.

I agree. Adjustable clubs just add more confusion to a game that is hard enought at times. For me, simple is always better.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

I prefer using my Scotty with perfect, tuned weighting that matches the clubhead instead of messing with the weight on different greens. Not going in my putter anywhere in the near future.

I do not think this is the future of putting. Unless everyone learns how to fit themselves to their own putting stroke this will never catch on. It will be a gimmick for the lazy golfer but I think club fitters will be safe with this putter shaft out there.

If I were a clubfitter I would probably rig something similar to use to fit someone with a hopefully ideal putter. However i have doubts it would be acceptable on the fairways. Golf is already slow enough as things stand.

Shambles

I agree it may be good as a fitting tool.

Curious, why do you think it would slow down the game? If you play golf by the rules any adjustments could only be made prior to a round.

Nope not for me

Taylormade SLDR 430- Ahina 70S
Titleist 915FD 15*- D+ 80S
Titleist 915H 21*- D+ 90S
Titleist 915H 23*- D+ 90S
Titleist AP2 718 (5-Gap)- Steelfiber i95S
Scratch TD DW 54* & 58* KBS HiRev 125S

Odyssey O-Works 7S

Byron Morgan DH11 360g (carbon)

TP Mills Softail 354g (carbon)
TP Mills Heritage 349g (carbon)
Byron Morgan 006 355g (carbon)