Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Article done on Gene Nead by MyGolfSpy

Maverickping

I had one of Gene's copper mini's. Loved it but I needed a face balanced one. I've often thought about ordering another (bought that one used). I think it might be in my witb. It's the putter I tried the Salty grip on matter of fact. I wished it were a long neck and face balanced. Was near perfect. I was introduced to Gene's work a long time ago by LaMont. My understanding is he's retired from NASCAR and will be milling putters full time. I'll tell you one of the most creative I've ever seen was the Ivory putter he did.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

RookieBlue7,

I know who has the Ivory putter and it is fantastic! Gene did a copper with mother of pearl inlay that is something else as well. One of the things I like about Gene is the exotic material he uses. Like his Mokume Gane, it is proprietary to him.

As far a Gene doing putters full-time he really is only doing it part-time now (as of last year). He did retire from Nascar but was back in it full-time by the third race of the Nascar season being the crew chief for Phil Parsons and the #98 car. Gene is back this year with them.

Gene does think there “might” be some new putters come the Spring, so we shall see.

Is he still around?

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

It's been on and off and on and off for awhile.

I guess the mokume gane got out of the bag, because I've seen a lot of it from other companies lately.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

• 5 months later...

I've been trying to get in touch with Gene for almost 3 months now. He's a tough dude to contact

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

For those interested in Gene's putters, I'm a long-time friend of his and also his rep. There will be some new putters coming available but no hard timeline on their arrival. If you are interested in having Gene make you a custom, unless you are a past client Gene will not make you one but there will be some very nice ones available. This might change but presently this is the situation. I have a list of those who are interested and will be in touch when they are available.

Someone mentioned Mokume Gane, the MG that Gene has is proprietary to him, you will not see anything similar.

I am a member here only, out of respect for MyGolfSpy any interest please contact me via pm on Puttertalk.

Thanks,

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

Gene made some custom putters for Sizemore Golf a few years ago, and I have used it since 2011. It fit my specifications perfectly after flattening the lie a few degrees. Great feel in my opinion!

Titleist 915D2 9.5 set at A4

Tour Exotics CB2 15*

Rogue Pro Irons 5-Aw 2* flat

Vokey SM6 56* S and 60* K

Archived