TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why do you love golf?

JBones

The other day I wasn't playing very well; it was 39* with wind and overcast.  I thought to myself "why the hell am I out here".  The answer is simple.....I LOVE GOLF.  Golf for me is an escape from the grind of life.  I can be out in nature with nothing on my mind other than the shot I'm about to hit.  It's a new adventure every time out; one day I might shoot 69 and then shoot 85 the next time out (which is exactly what happened in this referenced instance). 

Why do you love golf?

One reason is hitting a well-struck shot, the feeling of the ball being getting smashed and flying through the air is an awesome feeling, it gives me a sense of power and effectiveness.

Then there is the objectivity of it all.  The club has to strike the ball with the correct clubface angle, speed, etc.  it is all physics.  No politics, no lying, no cheating, no excuses.  It is pure as it gets.   This honesty gets shared with your playing partners. A guy at party can b.s. about his game but on the course where the club meets the ball talking does him no good.  I love how golf can shut up a blowhard with one swing.

The results are all mine, I get all the credit, I take all of the blame.  While golf has team events sometimes, my swing and my strikes will still belong to me.

Then there is the never-ending quest for mastery, the fickleness, golf can expose one to the whole range of human emotions.

And its damn fun, too.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

All good reasons stated above. I guess I would add that golf is a sport that you can play your whole life. Kids in the clinics we hold each summer are as young as 4, and there are guys that play each day at my course that are in their 80's. You don't even have to have played it as a kid; you can start anytime. I started in my 40's when all other sports were just too hard on my body.

Golf is a sport where one person can walk onto a course, play alone (depends on the course and time of day), meet new people each time you play, or play with friends. There's competition and then there's just fun with family. It's up to you how and where you want to play.

It is an opportunity to get away from stress of the daily grind and focus on one thing, and one thing only... the next shot. Everything else doesn't matter at the moment. And of course, there's Dhuck Whooker's feeling of the well-struck shot, and who doesn't like that!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

For me it has always been a part of my life. I grew up with my Dad being the pro at a daily fee public course. There was times I hated golf when the old man tried to push me too hard when I was younger and later on when I was doing it for a living.

I think when I mellowed out and got older I appreciated it more. Now I take things in stride and plod along. I do different things within the game itself. I play with some guys and we play small fun low dollar matches and it is fun. Sometimes on Sunday after church I may walk and play 9 or 18 with my classic clubs or I may play my modern stuff. I find something of beauty on any golf course whether it is a high end course or a goat track. When walking by myself I can relax and get away from everything. I never ever take my cell phone on the course. If there is an emergency my wife knows where I am playing at and she could contact me as far as I am concerned everything else on the phone is BS and can wait.

Like others I love the feel and sight of a well struck shot. On the other hand it may sound funny but I like the challenge of when I mess up how in the heck do I get out of this mess now?

Now another thing about golf for me is like today. It is raining in Biblical proportions so there will be no golf playing today. I will probably piddle in my little shop out back with some of my antique clubs or maybe check out the thrifts or flea market for something.

For some I lead a boring life. I don't drink anymore and go to bars. I don't keep up with any sports except golf. I don't even keep up with auto racing anymore since I quit racing cars myself. Heck I am in a fishing mecca so to speak and I don't have any interest in fishing or boating myself. I don't care anything about any kind of hunting. Someone asked my wife what does he do? My wife says he messes around golf and it could be worse he could be out drinking and chasing illicit women etc. My life seems boring to many but I love it fine!

I guess I love golf because it has always been a part of my life even in those stages when I did not play a lot. I would not have it any other way

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I hate golf. Well, I did this past Monday. I can't add anything new or different that anyone else who loves this game might say. This game can be so maddening at times and yet the next day you're on top of the world having figured it all out. Right? Wrong! You never master it and I guess that's just one of the things that is so attractive... addictive to me. I mean who doesn't picture themselves as having a beautiful swing producing shots like we see on TV. The reality is that most of us don't and at the end of the round we know it. But by golly next time it's going to be better. Sometimes it is. I'm preparing to meet my group later this morning for our Saturday skin game. I had an utter disaster on Monday and was out of sync from the first tee through the 18 green. And that day on the par 4 17th the golf gods went ahead and stuck a fork in me with a 10!! And FYI I shot a 97! LOL So to answer the question "why do I love golf?". Because I'm playing today and will shoot a career round and take my buddies money. You know I will. Right? 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Golf is like a perpetually opening day in baseball. Everyone has hope that they will find the secret, today. I've been playing for nearly 50 years and I still have the realistic hope that this will be my best year ever.

Golf = hope.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Why do I love golf... Man. That is a really tough question!

I love golf for it's basic simplicity. It is the simplest premise you can think of for a sport. Start the ball here, and hit it as few times as possible until it goes in the hole. In practice? It's a beautiful game.

I love the genuine creativity. The open air. Golf is the one time of my day where I can just disconnect COMPLETELY from the outside world. Where it's me, the ball, my club, and an objective. I love how golf takes all of the stress, issues and any weight of the day and makes you leave it at the door.

If you walk onto the course, no matter your skill level, burdened with stress and any other things on your mind you are going to play a terrible round. It's simple. 

The best rounds of someones life are played when they don't have a care in the world and can LET themselves focus completely on the task at hand. Being a younger golfer, I love how it provides me an opportunity to disconnect completely from my smartphone.

The bonds it creates are timeless. One of the people I enjoy golfing with the most is my boss! The beautiful thing about it is when we and a group of guys are on the course, it's just that. A group of guys hanging out playing a game they enjoy. Golf eliminates all of the walls that people build up around themselves. It exposes your true self, and how you can fight through adversity.

Golf is a beautiful game, and the best part about the whole sport is you can enjoy it from the early years of your life to the last days. I love golf! That's why.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Some really great replies here, so I'm somewhat at a loss for words.  All I can say is, that for me, golf is something I'll never master, always learn from and motivates me to stay active and enjoy spending my time outdoors with friends, or lost in my own world when I'm out on the course.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like this deserves a bump considering its valentines day and all.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Golf for me has been many things. I've played it competitively when I was younger. I like to think I have a competitive drive and so the game of golf helped fuel it. It taught me how to be strong as an individual player but also how to take my individual game and place that into a team enviornment.

Now that I'm a little older and don't have quite the time to put into my game its really become a place for me to go and relax. I shut my phone off when I get to the course. I take it as a time to just go out and enjoy a day. 4 hours of just me, maybe some friends, and a little white ball that is bound to frustrate me haha. But in all seriousness I get a lot of calmness from just enjoying a day. It has also become a GREAT place for me to get family time. Both my brother and dad are avid golfers too so we play a lot together which has been awesome as we're all getting a little older.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Well it's hard to follow some of the profound things that have been said. ( not so hard to follow others )

I guess for me, it's humbling. I KNOW I will never shoot a 69. That doesn't mean I will ever stop trying. But when I am out there, sometimes it's al let a Zen type thing. When I stop overthinking, I stop worrying about what the people the course paired me with think of my game, I don't worry about what I look like and I just relax; every now and then Imhit "the shot".

It isn't the hole in one. It isn't an eagle on a 530 yard par five. It's that feeling you have in your body when you know that your swing was perfect! You almost see every revolution of spin on the ball. You watch the launch angle and path your ball takes and quickly glance down to see the pin and suddenly realize it is actually going RIGHT where you wanted it to. You glance back up to make sure your eyes didn't play tricks on you. Nope, it's still headed where you want.

Normally at this point I am worried that I don't have enough backspin on the ball and it will fly off the green and be halfway to the next tee box.

Not this time. I don't think any of that. I actually sit back and enjoy watching where the ball is going. It hits 8 feet past the pin, bounces and works it's way back to the hole. It rolls within 4 inches as it passes the hole and comes to rest about three feet in front of the hole.

That's why I love this game. Every so often, when I get out of my own head and the stars align, the Golf Gods smile down upon me for just a second and allow me the feeling of pure greatness Rory, Sergio or (insert your pro of choice here) feel when they hit the ball.

I will never be a scratch golfer. But I'll never stop trying to be, because I LOVE making "the shot".

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

It's a two fold deal for me. Reason 1:

I started playing at age 40 because literally all the guys I work/ed with played. I made fun of them for chasing a little white ball around what amounted to football fields of grass...lol. One day, one of the guys took me after work to play 9 holes. Let's just say, I was hooked! 

After I started playing regularly and joined a league, I became obsessed with getting as good as I could. Being a competitive athlete in and out of school for many years, all things athletic were more or less doable for me. Then came Golf! I am convinced it is THE hardest sport/game on earth to be good at! I love the challenge. I love that it makes me work for everything.... and what worked the day before, probably won't work today. I love that it isn't easy just because I am/was a good athlete.To this day, I am no where near as good as I would like to be. That's ok..... I can get around a golf course just fine, and I have a ball doing it! 

The other reason I love golf:

I've had a lot of trouble, heartache and sorrow in my life, the last two years. Golf has been a God send for me. The golf course is a beautiful, tranquil place to be when I play alone. I talk with God a lot out there.... about a lot of things. I cherish my time on the course alone with God and my thoughts. When I play alone, it isn't about the score..... it's way more important than that.

Through these last two years, My buddies have played with me, drank beer and whiskey with me, and cried with me on the golf course. You know who your friends are through times like these.... and who they aren't.

I love golf because golf can be many things and mean different things at different times in your life.

Golf is that life analogy for sure. Its ever changing. In so many ways.

Right now, golf is hope for me. Its a way to remember. Its exercise. Its my fun to look forward to.

At some points of life, golf was an avoidance tool, and still is to some extent.

Its definitely escapism.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Any sport other than golf another person can be a hero. In golf, there's only one person who can affect your score, that's you. You can be a hero every time you step up to the ball.

Otherwise, relaxation, challenge, the fact I can play alone or in groups...etc.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I love golf because at 27 I have already had two major surgeries, one on my left wrist and one on my back. And the only thing I remember asking the doctors before and after surgery was "when can I play?"

My wife enjoys to walk with me, my Dad has become more interested and is always fun to play with and I've been able to meet some really nice people.

All in all, I couldn't ask more from a hobby that is so complex that I can think about different aspects of it all day everyday and never get tired of it.

• TM M1 430 w/ Speeder 757 X

TM Jetspeed w/ Fuji X 13.5*

TM UDI w/ Recoil 120 F4 21*

TM 2011 TP MBs 4-pw X100ti

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

TM Ghost Tour Black Monte Carlo

Pro V1

I love the game because of how simple and how complex it can be. It can be what you want it to be. I also love how realible it is to real life. If you make a mistake you have to live with it. I love that I will never master it, that means that can always play it and have something to work on. It's a sport, it's a game. It is calm escape, it is a stressful waste of an afternoon. Golf is pure, you can't hide anything. You lay everything on the line.

What's in the Bag

Bag- Sun Mountian 

Driver - Callaway Rouge 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow
Fairway wood - Ping G15 3 wood

Hybrid - Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 19* 
Irons - Callaway XR 5-PW
Wedges - Cleveland 588-RTX 52* 56* 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 - SuperStroke Wrist lock Grip

I remember my dad taking me to our local driving range when I was 9 or 10 years old. Perfect setting for me. It was dark out, light winds, 80 degrees and the lights where lighting up the night time sky and you could see the yellow balls flying through the air. Now I am and always have been pretty athletic so I was fortunately somewhat of natural. My dad hands me his driver and says "hit this" so of course I did. My first drive was crushed (probably went 170 yards) and went right down the middle. If you have played at the driving range at night you probably can imagine the visual I have. The ball taking off into the night sky and seemingly never coming down. I was HOOKED.

At age 11 a buddy and I were hitting golf balls back and forth in the park trying to get to one of those line green spaghetti strainers (If your old you will remember those.) Well I bent over my ball to grab it and next thing I knew SMACK I had been hit square in my right eye with his 5 iron. I covered my eye and remember blood rushing out. I tried to run home but ended up passing out half way there. That night I was in 4 separate ambulances as each hospital we went to said we can't help him. Ended up having 8 surgeries to rebuild my right side as the club had crushed my cheek bone and eye brow. I unfortunately lost my eye in this whole ordeal and have a metal plate in my cheek.

I'm not trying to bring this posting down and I only tell you this because the game of golf has been in my blood for as long as I remember. The game gives me more joy than I deserve and seeing that I have zero depth perception it makes it that more challenging, but that's part of it. I enjoy when people ask me about it and then when I say "close one eye and try to take the shot" they seem to be amazed at how hard it is.

I have met so many people playing golf whether 30 years older than me or 15 years younger than me, it just doesn't matter. I simply enjoy the hell out of golf. To this day one of my favorite things to do is go down to the range at night and let them fly.

I love this post! Thanks for asking the question and bringing me back to my childhood.

Titleist AP1 irons

Titleist 913D 7.5 Degree, Stiff Speeder Tour Spec 6.2 Shaft

Wedges: Taylormade 60 d Titleist Vokey 54,56,58

Seemore Mallet Putter

Right Handed

Apple Valley, MN

8 Handicap

10885218_10205856139265562_6140026354236

• 2 years later...

Tell us!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I love playing sports and it's something I have been around from early childhood. The challenge of golf and the friends I have made over the years makes it special.  That's why I love it.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

... I played sports all my life. High school football, basketball and baseball, college football and after college, competitive travel tennis. Obviously I love competition. Never played golf until I was 30 years old and thought it was a stupid easy sport. My ex wife was a Honey Bear and she was invited to a Bears golf outing so I was in. Parred the first two holes with persimmon woods, balata balls an MB's I borrowed. Easy game! Next tee shot curved right and off the course LOL. Easy enough fix, just aim more left. Tee shot curved off the course to the left. The rest of the round I hit some really good shots and some really horrendous shots and I was hooked. 

... With other sports, you need someone of equal or at least close to equal talent to compete. Golf is the only game I know where I can share the course with 3 people shooting 125, 79 and 91 and still compete with myself and the course. Obviously with handicaps and we can all even compete with each other. And as an actor my schedule is crazy and I sometimes get auditions in the morning for that same day, so planning rounds with others is always difficult to impossible. But golf allows me to go out as a single and I am usually paired up with others. In my golfing life I have been paired up with well over 2,000 people and about 99% of the time it is a most enjoyable day. Just folks from all walks of life and always interesting and usually fun. And I have not even mentioned the wildlife and beauty of walking in nature. 

... I have worked extremely hard to get to a + index and shot 66 twice. My goal is to shoot my age sooner rather than later and of course shoot 65 or lower. And if I manage to accomplish that, I will simply change my goals. There is really nothing out there like golf when you add up everything it offers. And as others stated, I have made friends for life all over the country, something that few things other than golf can make happen. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Archived