Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hollow irons becoming a trend

Mr_Theoo

http://golfweek.com/news/2015/jan/23/golf-equipment-cubs-hollow-irons-pga-show-2015/

Your next irons just might be hollow.

One of the themes of the 2015 PGA Merchandise Show was hollow irons, which have a hidden interior cavity much like hybrids, fairway woods and drivers.

Advantages frequently stated for hollow irons: higher trajectory, greater distance because of a more active face and optimal forgiveness on off-center hits.

Possible disadvantages: distance control (these irons sometimes are characterized as being extremely hot) and an overall feel at impact that is solid but not as soft as users of forged irons might prefer.

We're not talking about irons with a huge undercut in the back cavity. Instead, these hollow irons have a significant cavity that cannot be seen.

Three new irons exemplified this trend at the show: the Bridgestone J15DF Driving Forged, Nike Vapor Speed and Mizuno MP-H5.

Because touring pros have no tolerance for irons that might fly an extra yard or two, they aren't going to stick hollow irons in their bags. But amateurs, particularly those who don't play with great frequency, might choose these irons for their power and forgiveness.

• Bridgestone-J15DF-Irons_300x370.jpeg

Bridgestone J15DF Driving Forged iron

• MP_H5_Individual.jpg

Mizuno MP-H5 iron

The Bridgestone, Nike and Mizuno irons all feature a traditional look at address. Answering one of the concerns about hollow irons, the top lines of these three are not visually intrusive.

Hollow irons are the beneficiaries of modern welding techniques, and many golfers will not realize the irons are hollow.

Said veteran iron designer Mike Taylor of Nike, "With the Speed iron, we were able to redistribute some of the weight that came out of the cavity."

The goal is to move the center of gravity as low and far back as possible. This has long been a challenge for clubmakers, but today's hollow irons are made with improved materials and better construction techniques.

"It's a distance-driven iron with a player's profile," said Bridgestone's Josh Kinchen of the company's J15DF. "The hollow area is between the face and the back of the club. You're going to get that trampoline effect."

Dick Lyons, senior vice president and general manager of Mizuno USA, let's his golf game do the talking. Of all the MP and JPX irons in the Mizuno lineup, he plays the MP-H5.

"I hit the ball too low," Lyons said. "Because it looks great and because I can hit the ball higher, this iron is the best one for me.”

More amateur golfers may go hollow in 2015.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The old becomes new. I remember Wislon introducing irons with this concept back in the 70's. They didn't catch on then but easily could now because advanced medical technology will make it work better.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

And TaylorMade had hollow long irons in the late 80's or early 90's. Tour Edge had hollow irons about 8 years ago. The EX-3 was hollow, had Ti face, were very long, and very straight. Only straight. I still have them, but as my game improved it was difficult to control the extra distance and no working the ball. I expect similar results from the "new" hollow irons.

Should be good irons for people looking to get in the game.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hollow irons are very long, but the thing is that these modern ones aren't any different from regular irons. All irons are long now. 

We saw very little difference in length with Vapor Speed vs Pro Combo. In fact, PC was often longer.

I remember trying hollow irons as far back as the late 90s. It was a set of Tourstage irons.

I think the benefit of hollow and thin face irons have changed. From being long, it it has now focused on giving more consistent distance across the face=forgiveness. Much like driver technology.

I remember Mizuno had a hollow driving iron back in the 90s. I think it may have been the only mistake they ever made. That thing sounded horrible had a tink to it when you hit it and it was amplified when you hit a Rock Flite with it. One of my customers at the golf shop had one loved it but could not stand the sound. I ended up drilling a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom and spraying foam insulation in the cavity and tapping the hole and installing an Allen screw. It silenced it and did not affect the hitting for him anyhow. Saw him the other day and he is still hitting that thing

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I remember Mizuno had a hollow driving iron back in the 90s. I think it may have been the only mistake they ever made. That thing sounded horrible had a tink to it when you hit it and it was amplified when you hit a Rock Flite with it. One of my customers at the golf shop had one loved it but could not stand the sound. I ended up drilling a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom and spraying foam insulation in the cavity and tapping the hole and installing an Allen screw. It silenced it and did not affect the hitting for him anyhow. Saw him the other day and he is still hitting that thing

Wow, that's funny!

Archived