Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MyGolfSpy Club Tester, Reader, and Friend buys a Golf Course

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

mcgregor.png

This comes a bit late (preparing for the PGA Show takes more time than it should), but I wanted to let everyone know that Blake Crocitto (occasionally known here on the forum as Summit23) along with his business partner, has purchased McGregor Links Country Club in Wilton, NY.

Blake doesn't spend as much time in the forum as he probably should, but he's been a long-time MyGolfSpy club tester. He supervised the majority of our driver and fairway wood testing last year, and he traveled with the team to the 2014 PGA Show. He's unquestionably part of the MyGolfSpy family.

It's fair to say that the course (which happens to be my home course) has been neglected over the years. Most of the members will tell you that the land around the course was over-developed (it's why we have OB on EVERY hole), and that the course itself hasn't been maintained to the level it should. While the layout remains solid and among the most challenging in the area, it has its rough spots.

Blake and his partner are hoping to fix that.

The buying process itself dragged on for the better part of a year, but Blake finally has keys to the facility and is already making improvements.

He's brought in Druthers, a local brew pub to manage the restaurant (McGregor will serve as the test kitchen for new menu items and microbrews). Improvements to the facility, including modernizing the kitchen, the addition of air conditioning, heating and new windows for the club house are underway. 

Once the snow finishes coming (and going), the new owners will shift their focus to the golf course where the new superintendent will work to improve the fairways and greens. As you can read in the articles below, Blake has plans for making McGregor Links a year round family destination, which is certainly a challenge for a golf course that's only open 7-8 months out of the season.

In a time when club memberships, and golf itself are in decline, the new owners aren't hoping to get rich, they simply want to help a golf course they love reach its potential.

Find out more about ownership's plans for the club in these articles:

http://www.saratogian.com/general-news/20150107/mcgregor-links-country-club-in-wilton-sells-for-225m

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Very cool, hope it works out well for you Blake!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

That sounds great!  I like the idea of having outdoor winter sports on the course along with he simulator.  Best of luck to you Blake!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

As a kid who grew up in Clifton Park (Van Patten was my home course), we summered on Lake George so I drove by McGregor a million times on the Northway.   I wish I could do more to support you Upstaters in your noble endeavor to keep golf thriving in the land of Natty Bumpo and Chingachgook besides wishing you well, but alas.... I'm too far away now.  In any event, best of luck... and may the weather be kind and favorable.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

• SPY VIP

As a kid who grew up in Clifton Park (Van Patten was my home course), we summered on Lake George so I drove by McGregor a million times on the Northway.   I wish I could do more to support you Upstaters in your noble endeavor to keep golf thriving in the land of Natty Bumpo and Chingachgook besides wishing you well, but alas.... I'm too far away now.  In any event, best of luck... and may the weather be kind and favorable.

I find my way to Van Patten once every few years. Still love the course (although I liked it better before they dropped the new clubhouse in several years ago), but damned if there isn't always some BS with the starter that pisses me off. I forget why I haven't played...I go back and it happens again. 

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Hope all works out for the best......

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Owning a golf course is a dream of mine. Only a dream. I never will. McGregor Links looks like a classy place. I suspect Blake will do well with it. Best of luck.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Best wishes Blake - brilliant idea with the Brew pub onsite - my son will be moving into the area in the Fall - He will be up your way for three years so we'll have to check it out when I come up for a visit - maybe he and I can take on T and a friend.  A good old fashioned beat down - I like it. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• SPY VIP

As I mentioned in the original post, there's a lot of work being done to the clubhouse. The new owners (along with the Druthers team) are basically gutting the place (it needs it). Blake is posting progress photos on the club's facebook page, for those who enjoy a good before and after story.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/McGregor-Links-Country-Club/1531681890441093

T I went to look and it said that the page was unavailable.  But come on, it's a golf course and a brew pub, so long as he sells and has a place for cigars with those beers it can't fail.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• SPY VIP

T I went to look and it said that the page was unavailable.  But come on, it's a golf course and a brew pub, so long as he sells and has a place for cigars with those beers it can't fail.

My bad. All better now...stupid facebook.

Nice - looks like they've got the right idea - love the old picture of the ladies playing - I think that's very inviting.  Can't wait until my son is up your way and he and I can sit at that bar and lift a drink or two. 

For that matter can't wait until my son gets in and we can do that down here - he's due home tonight!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

That is great I am like Plad Jacket I have always wanted to own a golf course but not really here at the beach. I would love to own a municipal daily fee type course like the one I grew up on. The only way I will ever swing it is if I hit a big big lottery! I looked at the facebook pages looks like my type of place. Especially neat is the fact one of our fellow spies owns it. Might be enough to get me off my fat butt and go up there.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Sounds like the right place for the first annual MSG tournament. #JustSaying

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

• 2 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

Here's an interview Blake just did on one of our local TV station. He talks in more detail about his plans for the facility.

Archived