Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

DST Golf - Compressor Club Review - Updated with photos

PlaidJacket

I've ordered and it's in transit the new DST Golf - Compressor 8i training club. I've never seen anything like it. A golf club with a curved shaft. The idea is to get you in the proper position at impact with hands forward thereby compressing the ball. Ball first you know. This club caught my eye while reading a recent post by Golfspy Barbajo. He had listed several products from the PGA Show he thought were interesting and the DST Compressor was one of them. I've said before that I'm not a huge training aid guy but; maybe I am somewhat. I should receive my club by Friday and if the weather holds up I'll get out and see what this thing can do. Or not do.

Stay tuned.

http://www.dstgolf.com/

DST.png

UNBOXING W/ PHOTOS AND COMMENTS - 

I received the club today at my office and of course was excited to get my hands on it. The club arrived in a typical cardboard club box with no padding except for a crumpled wad of paper protecting the head. The head also was covered with clear plastic shrink wrap that peeled off easily. The club seemed to be in perfect condition. Soon I started taking a few practice swings. I noticed that in order to sole the club properly and square the face I needed to shift my hands/arms forward at address. I had a ball centered in my stance. If I took my standard address position with the Compressor the clubface would be in a closed position. The club felt good weight wise and the grip size fit my hands perfectly. The grip is a basic grip style I'd say and it's branded as DST. The head has a deep cavity with a thin metal medallion glued to it.The sole of the club is very wide and the top line is medium thickness. It's in the super game improving type of style. The Shaft is basic I'd say with no steps. Smooth. DST calls the shaft a Uniflex steel. The specs say the club is a D2 swing weight. 

As soon as the weather clears I'll post my impressions from the range...

Unbox.jpg

shrinkwrap.jpg

grip.jpg

Shaft ;label.jpg

Face.jpg

cavity back.jpg

sole compare.jpg

club compare.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 2 months later...

I heard an interview recently on X/M Radio PGA Tour Channel 93......and I must say, I was intriqgued by this method of swing trainer.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I have the wedge version - it's a pretty effective aid - I'm a chronic flipper and it seems to be helping.  Important to try to hit 3/4 punch shots with it -- when hit properly the ball goes very high, straight and probably 75 yards or so.  Miss hit and you know it.  So does the guy to your right...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Very interesting training tool, Look like the club would cause you to "push' the ball a lot.....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Yes I've worked with it a few times but to be honest I'm not so sure about it. Just this morning I glanced at it over in the corner as I headed out the door. I have the 8i version. It's easy to hit for sure and I can hit straight high shots with it. If I understand the setup technique correctly it forces you to have your hands in an unnatural hands-forward position at address. I certainly don't address my other irons this way. I also own a Tour Striker. It's much harder to hit correctly unless you impact a ball with your hands-forward. Meaning, you have to also make a proper turn and create lag. You need to have your hips cleared and present the club head to the ball with a late(er) release which will naturally position your hands forward. I'm almost inclined to say the Tour Striker, although much harder to hit correctly; is a more effective aid to train your body to create lag which in turn will help you learn to deliver the club to the ball in a hands-forward position and compress the ball. I haven't taken both the Compressor and the Tour Striker to the range to compare side by side. If I do I'll let you know.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived