Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Barbajo's 2015 PGA Show "Best Of..."

Posted this Saturday in another thread, but wanted to give it its own thread.  This was my first PGA show - and I hope it won't be my last!  Here's a quick rundown on the product experience highlights...

1. Talking with Jesse Ortiz -- the man is a legend in golf club design and is one of the nicest gentlemen I've met in a long time. That he spent about 20 minutes talking with a nobody like me was very flattering.  He has some strong opinions about the state of golf equipment and how equipment is sold and marketed -- and he's funny as hell.  Best of many gems he shared - he sees the equipment industry morphing into something similar to the beer industry - there's growing room for the micro-brews or regional brews, as well at the Buds, Coors and Millers.  He sees the golf industry moving in the same direction.  Oh, and the new Bobby Jones putters look awesome!

jesse ortiz.jpg

2. Hitting the Hogans -- hit a crap-ton of irons during demo day and the show, and the Hogan irons were certainly the "buzz" of the show.  Their booth was an homage to the Hogan tradition, and the business cards they were handing out were badass -- with the iconic Hogan 1-iron from the US Open on the back.  The irons? Nothing short of outstanding in my opinion.  Not sure how the loft-idea is going to work out, but I like the fact that they're going to work through pros and fitters -- so you CAN try them through those channels. And the products will all be custom ordered - so the pro won't have to stock much of anything. They'll build them to spec every time.  These are going to be interesting to keep an eye on.  

pga show 037.JPG

pga show 043.JPG pga show 241.JPG

pga show 242.JPG

3. Irons in general - it's a great time to be an iron buyer.  Of all the irons I had the chance to try, my faves were - in no particular order - Hogan, Wilson FG 100 Blade, Wilson FG Tour V4, Srixon 545 and 745, all of the Bridgestones and Epon from Japan.  If you're "into" forged feeling irons, these are as clean, crisp and smooth as they come.  Would game any of them in a heartbeat.

pga show 081.JPG pga show 111.JPG

pga show 138.JPGpga show 239.JPG

4. Vega --- Vega irons were also up there, and I gotta say, I really liked their driver. You don't hear much about Vega, but they have some pretty nice equipment.  It's not inexpensive, but it's very, very good.

pga show 065.JPG

5. Big Max push carts --- got the full demo on their entire line.  Big Max is the number one line of "trolleys" in Europe, and you can see why.  Versatile, easy to set up and take down, easy to store with lots - and I mean LOTS - of really cool and well thought out features.  Keep an eye on them - you'll be seeing more of them in the coming months.  Best push cart that I saw....

pga show 325.JPGpga show 327.JPG

6. DST Training Clubs -- these suckers have bent shafts. It's a training aid designed to force you to keep your hands in front of the club face at impact, so you're leveraging all your power and hitting down on the ball.  It's a weird feel at first, but it's one of those training aids that will find a permanent home in my bag, seeing as how I'm a chronic flipper.

pga show 375.JPG

7. Royal Albatross Shoes -- Winner of the MGS Most Wanted Shoe challenge - these things are gorgeous, comfortable and gorgeous.  Not to mention comfortable.  Pricey, but good footwear may be the most underrated item in the game.

ea3.jpgra1.jpg

ra2.jpg

8. ECCO - speaking of footwear, these guys are playing chess while most of the rest of the industry (Royal Albatross excluded) is playing checkers.  The new lines - especially the spikeless street shoes - are nothing short of spectacular.

pga show 385.JPGpga show 391.JPG

pga show 393.JPG

9. Biion -- another shoe company.  We've had reviews by GolfSpy MPB here, and quite frankly, I didn't get his enthusiasm.  I do now.  You really have to see them in person to get the full color pop, and they are "slip-on" comfy.  I see them in my future, too.  

pga show 337.JPG

pga show 338.JPG

10. MLA Putters -- from Switzerland - the aiming mechanism is really unique and effective.  If you have an issue with squaring up the putter face, one of these will help you with your alignment.  Again, it looks a little weird, but sometime weird gets it done.

mla1.jpgmla2.jpg

11. Zepp -- had never tried one before, but boy are they helpful little devices. Was worried I'd be distracted by having the little sensor device on my glove hand, but once it was on I never noticed it once.  And I absolutely loved the feedback and swing information it gave you.  Can see this as being a huge tool for instructors and for swing-junkies.  The hands don't lie.

pga show 345.JPGpga show 346.JPG

12. Kentwool Socks - have your say, Furu!  Actually, I've been a fan of Kentwool for a long time, and at this very moment wearing a pair of their compression socks on the plane.  Bought these over a month ago and always wear them when flying - they are the cat's behind!  Got to meet the owner of Kentwool at the show and - like Jesse Ortiz - was very friendly, frank and giving of his time to a no one like me.  We had a great chat and he made me an even bigger fan of his company.

pga show 407.JPGpga show 408.JPG

13. Golf Knickers.com -- Another product that looks way better in person than in pictures.  I see an MGS Golf Knicker Invitational in our future -- great colors and styles.  You want to stand out on a course?  These will do it, but when you dress like that you better bring your A-game!

14. Lambda Golf Shoes -- all leather from Portugal. Great designs - awesome looking shoe. Didn't get to try them on, so can't speak to their comfort, but Golly Moses they're purdy.

pga show 396.JPG

pga show 398.JPG

pga show 399.JPG

15. Renegar Wedges -- liked the new forged design with the notched sole.  Hope we see more of these - good looking and produced by another industry maverick.  Pay attention to them.

pga show 354.JPG

pga show 355.JPG

pga show 356.JPG

16. iZulu Golf - from South Africa.  A custom fitting system to be sold through golf pros.  Irons with interchangeable faces (for fitting purposes), driver with low CG pods (not unlike NIke's, but not similar, either), and some of the nicest hybrids I hit at the show.  Their mallet putter looked like a Transformer - you can move the weight back for fast greens and up for slow greens.  They're a ways away from becoming a presence here - if they ever will be, but their stuff is pretty solid.

pga show 452.JPGpga show 454.JPG

pga show 455.JPGpga show 474.JPGpga show 475.JPG

17.  New Stich headcovers -- no words other than "Bad-Ass-Looking!"  Really cool new designs.

pga show 479.JPGpga show 480.JPGpga show 483.JPGpga show 485.JPG

pga show 042.JPG

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

BarbaJo, you're 100% correct about the irons this year!  There is a terrific selection available this year.  Personally, I'm hot for the Stixon Z 545s, but that's just me.  The Hogans, the Wilson Staffs, the Taylormades, etc I hit, were all impressive.  There are quality iron sets out there for all levels of players.

The Wilson Staff lineup is extremely good across the board, including their D200 woods.  I mentioned on another thread, I haven't bagged a 15* 3 wood in years but after hitting the Wilson Staff on the range, I carried it in my bag the entire week.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Awesome Recap BarbaJo.  I feel like I was there with you this year.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Nice write-up John! Looks like it was a lot of fun - I'm penciling it in my calendar (with permanent marker) for next year.

Good news about next year's show -- it's just before the big AHR Expo, which will also be in Orlando - should be able to mix business and business!!!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Good news about next year's show -- it's just before the big AHR Expo, which will also be in Orlando - should be able to mix business and business!!!

Hopefully we can organize an MGS Frat house for the week, and a dandy wee golf outing as well!

Nice overview! Enjoyed the pics throughout the week. Thanks for the update.

I am bummed that I didn't get to go, but my wife and I want to go to the World Golf Hall of Fame next January and we will spend a few days in Orlando. With luck in condo and flight scheduling, I will be there!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

wow hella nice irons! Those Srixon Z's have got me feeling on tingly in the lower abdominal region :blush:  

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

wow hella nice irons! Those Srixon Z's have got me feeling on tingly in the lower abdominal region :blush:  

Know what you mean!  Toss up between Srixon, Hogan, Bridgestone and Wilson, IMO.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I had a chance to put a set of the new Wilson clubs in my hands today while visiting my chiropractor. They do look sharp, but as per your write up last month and quoting me about "yeah but they are still Wilson" I may have to retracted that and say "Wow these are Wilsons!?!?!"

Love the look of the flat black wedges but have to ask a questions. Are the heads on the wedges smaller than other manufacturers out there? I'll give them a try if you're willing to part with them for a round this year.

Oh nice write up on the PGA show. Sure wish I could have been there myself but my dang disc had other things in mind.

Titleist AP1 irons

Titleist 913D 7.5 Degree, Stiff Speeder Tour Spec 6.2 Shaft

Wedges: Taylormade 60 d Titleist Vokey 54,56,58

Seemore Mallet Putter

Right Handed

Apple Valley, MN

8 Handicap

10885218_10205856139265562_6140026354236

Love the look of the flat black wedges but have to ask a questions. Are the heads on the wedges smaller than other manufacturers out there? I'll give them a try if you're willing to part with them for a round this year.

I don't think the heads are any smaller -- may just look that way with the flat black finish.  Also digging the blue finish they have available...supremely sexy.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I think the heads on SCOR may be a bit smaller, but they seemed to be about the same size as Vokey.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Great write up, sir.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Love Hogans putting the loft on the sole not a number!  I have LONG considered doing that with my own clubs!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Archived