Mr_Theoo

Watch or no watch?

Our Sponsors

I love watches and wear one daily. Only problem is my taste exceeds my budget; Mechanical watches aren’t cheap. Skeletons, open hearts, or clear back cases are great so you can see the inner workings.

• Like 5

This was actually a factor when I bought my Apple Watch.  I wanted to use Arccos without phone-in-pocket but didn't know if I could comfortably play with a watch on my wrist.  So, I wore a cheapo watch for a few rounds to see if it affected play.   Wouldn't you know it, I got along just fine.  With some swings, it actually helped improve wrist position.

Bought the Apple Watch and love it in daily wear.  Haven't made it out for a good Arccos round just yet but their latest update has me excited.  With ShotScope shrinking, I wouldn't be surprised we start seeing more and more people wearing wrist accessories during their rounds.

Can't say I'll ever be the type to wear fancy schmancy watches though.  Love the look but 1) I can't (read shouldn't) afford them and 2) don't trust myself not to ding them up.  Even still, I'd never wear those on the course.

• Like 4

I wear a Garmin S60 everyday and while golfing as my GPS.  I could easily drop it for golf but it would be hard to give up the notification functions it provides.  Yesterday's day of travel hell is a great example of never having to look at my phone to see flight delays, gate changes, meetings, etc...  All of this goes straight to my wrist to tell me I'm screwed.

• Like 3

I wear a Fitbit on my right wrist and a real Seiko on my left wrist. I've worn a "proper" watch since 1978 and have no time for a "smart" watch. I have my phone, I don't need something else bugging me.

Get off my lawn!! 🤣

• Like 3

I love watches and have about 8 of them. My favorites are a Movado, TAG and Raymond Weil. However, I never wear them golfing - not sure why.  Occasionally my wife comments but stops after I ask her how much all of her wearings cost and why she needs so many.  

• Like 2

I have 2 citizen eco drives and a citizen that is my work watch but none of them are worn on the course. 

Much like no wallet, keys etc.,  just a tee and a ball marker

• Like 3

I love my Garmin Approach S20. Simple, no frills, distances are easy to read. I wear it everyday on and off the course. For dressier occasions ill wear a classic Citizen or Bulova. I am deff a watch guy, wrist tan and all.

I love the Omega watch James Bond wore in Spectre.

• Like 2

Back in the 80s and 90's I wore a watch with a stopwatch function so  I could keep track of time on jobs so I could keep track of tiem for billing purposes.  Change of job, no watch but I do have a couple of decent Seikos I will put on when dressing up which is rare these days.  I am wearing a slim lightweight Garmin for steps not for time and not a big deal if I don't put it on. 

• Like 3

I put a watch on every morning and take it off every night.  I don’t carry a phone unless I am going out of town in case of an emergency but keep it turned off.  Rarely gets turned on.

I own four mechanical watches for different formality levels of dress.  Also have a gshock for activities where I would destroy watches in the past.  Prefer no functions other than to tell time.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 4:17 PM, Bucky CC said:

I have a Fitbit I wear on a daily basis but my nicer Tissot watch hardly ever gets worn anymore. Unfortunately a watch that only shows the date/time seems pretty lacking these days.

For golf I’d much rather have an Arccos Link than mess with a watch like the Shot Scope. Maybe the smaller V3 will change that but I’m just not much of a watch while golfing person.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ha! Same for me. I got a Tissot as a gift years ago and I only wear it during business meetings or formal events. Besides that, it's easier to look at the phone. Also, I sweat a lot and the leather straps make me uncomfortable.

I'm looking forward to my ShotScope V3 in May. Surprisingly, it doesn't bother me that much when playing golf.

• Like 2

I used to wear a watch, but I don't anymore. The main reason being, my close vision is terrible and I can't see what time it is without +250 readers. 🙄

Crazy to see this thread again. 2015 was a long time ago. I now wear an Apple Watch everyday. Even while I play. Crazy how things change lol

• Like 1

Haven't worn a watch since I got my first cell (not smart) phone.  I used to ruin watches when I wore them.  I tried a Pebble watch paired with GolfShot GPS, and it would freeze up and drive me nuts about once or twice a round.

I am a watch wearer.  I have two tags that I wear, a Formula 1 and a Carrera.  When I play though I just started wearing a Garmin s20.  I bought it last year, wore it for a short time then went back to my range finder.  I am coaching HS golf so I wear it now just to give the kids a general yardage.    

No watch. My wife asked me if I wanted an iWatch as a gift a few years ago and I’m just not there yet. Never been a watch guy and probably won’t ever be but I won’t say never.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My Garmin Approach S20 is always on my wrist.  One day I forgot to put it on, and ended up on the golf courses and honestly was pissed, because I have become so dependent on the GPS watch that I honestly don't know how to play golf without it.  It's a fabulous little watch too, as it gives you the time, and then the GPS for whatever golf course you are playing, and is accurate as anything.  But the best feature I think out of everything this golf offers is that it displays notifications from my phone for text and emails received.  I never intended to use the Garmin for notifications, but once I got it I was like, oh man, this is the greatest thing.

Funny too, because before I got the Garmin I had stopped wearing a watch.  But the GPS combined with the notification feature is a grand slam winner in my book.

I'm a no-watch guy.

Talk about reviving an old thread...! 

Technology has come on leaps and bounds since this thread started back in 2015, I bet the use of conventional watches is even more of a polarising topic.

Personally, I'm a lover of traditional watches. Preferably an analogue with day and date - not a brand snob so I don't discriminate - although I'm partial to a classic Seiko (5 or automatic models hold particular sentimental value) and Pulsar takes me back to my military days - it was the brand of the official standard issue British Army watch. 

Currently I wear a Samsung Galaxy smartwatch, which pairs nicely with my phone and is incredibly useful on the golf course when using the Taylormade My Round Pro app.

It's a free app on the phone, and not too expensive for the watch version if I'm  not mistaken. Great for quick and easy recording where you take your shot from and with which club, at the end of the round you can upload your stats and are given a load of useful data and records your scores. You get live yardage to the pin, which is invaluable information to a beginner like me who doesn't have a clue! 

Screenshot_20200319-025750_myRoundPro.jpg

Screenshot_20200319-025540_myRoundPro.jpg

On 2/14/2020 at 11:47 AM, cnosil said:

I love watches and wear one daily. Only problem is my taste exceeds my budget; Mechanical watches aren’t cheap. Skeletons, open hearts, or clear back cases are great so you can see the inner workings.

Seiko 5 is an automatic with a clear back case. Pretty fair pricing, can be found for less than $200.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:47 AM, cnosil said:

Only problem is my taste exceeds my budget

Same issue for me.  I've worked my way up a bit over the past 5 years and now have a watch that I thoroughly enjoy.  It's an Oris Aquis Clipperton, which is a bit of a more unknown brand, but probably similar to a Tag Heuer.   Typically, I'm only wearing it when i go to work or going out.  Have not put it on much since the whole COVID thing.  Would love to trade up in the next few years to an IWC, Tudor, or Omega.

image.png.9c781f5018dfe6218f08beb6c522f5ff.png

• Like 1