Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Conclusions we jump to

Zeasy

Zeazy your story reminds me of a teacher I had in private school. The summer before I was to attend that school my Dad introduced him to me and told me to walk a round with him. We went to the first tee and he was carrying an old canvas and leather carry bag with a set of beat up 53 model Tommy Armour Irons with a beat up set of 985 MacGregor woods and a Bulls Eye putter. Oh this is going to be fun I thought what a hack. He proceeded to shoot a 31 on our par 35 course. Great swing and game! Learned that day not to be real judgemental about a golfer and his equipment. Come to find out this cat had played on the TCU golf team in the 60s. He had left to persue one of his doctorates at another school. He held 3 different Masters degrees in Divinity,Chemistry and Math. One of the smartest men I have ever met to this day. My Dad said he had a higher calling than golf.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When someone rolls up with throwback clubs. They either play once a decade, or they are bored with shooting under par and want a challenge. Red flags regardless!

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

$200 pants and a bag full of the latest clubs.

Money won't buy you a swing.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

When someone rolls up with throwback clubs. They either play once a decade, or they are bored with shooting under par and want a challenge. Red flags regardless!

My dad plays with persimmons stlll. He hates the big faced drivers. Doesn't play much unless I'm home but one year got him to shoot under 100 consistently.

The biggest flag for me is beer. I'm not talking if you're the guy that rolls up with a koozie and a bud light behind me on the tee box. No, I'm talking the guy who shows up with 4 buddies walking in the clubhouse door with a beer in hand out of the car and has the rest of the 24 (now 20 pack) ready to go.  9/10 times  I've played behind those guys and it's 9 holes of hacking and some sort of music. (Last time was MJ and time before that was 80's pop music.)

The funny part is there were two guys in college that always played in the tournaments we used to run . I swear these guys showed up 6 drinks in and went to the bar then to the practice green. At first the guys that ran the tournament with me were worried we'd have issues with them becoming too drunk. A future friend played with them, said they were the nicest guys out there, but also amongst the heaviest weights drinking. He said they basically ran out of beer by hole 8 and became the cart girls favorite customers. Never once were they an issue. Needless to say, they also won the tournament handily by shooting 10-12 under as a two some. Those gift cards to the course were probably used right away.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

i went to the driving range today right out of bed, wearing a pair of bright red Jordan brand pants that are three sizes too big, running shoes, and a t-shirt. I'm sure I was judged by everyone around me. I promptly shanked the first shot 60 yards right, proving that sometimes the outfit says it all.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

Ha! One of the best rounds I played was wearing jeans and a pair of vans slip-ons....

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

I'm the guy rolling up in flip flops beer in hand, but also won my flight in the club championship wearing flips flops and 12 beers deep. It was either 2nd or 3rd flight 6-9 handicaps. That was two summers ago.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm the guy rolling up in flip flops beer in hand, but also won my flight in the club championship wearing flips flops and 12 beers deep. It was either 2nd or 3rd flight 6-9 handicaps. That was two summers ago.

I'm good 12 beers deep, but somewhere between 13-14 that I fall apart. That's the only way HighFade can beat me.😝

Who's the bonehead who thought you couldn't reach 330?....hadn't he seen you hit for 17 holes?...

Check out the other thread for the MGS Twin Cities Open. I'm brainstorming some ideas right now. Some good, some maybe not....

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Who's the bonehead who thought you couldn't reach 330?....hadn't he seen you hit for 17 holes?...

Check out the other thread for the MGS Twin Cities Open. I'm brainstorming some ideas right now. Some good, some maybe not....

Tony from TM. The starter also told me I couldn't carry the creek on 1 and I put my hybrid 5yds short of it.

Damn. I used to play BIP BIH CIM ( ball in pocket beer in hand cigar in mouth) and never shot well. Usually I'd stop caring about golf and worry about the other things.

Now it's usually water and golf. Perhaps a lip or two depending on if I quit or not.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

Seen a lot of different golfers, you just never know until you start playing, but the dime-sized wear marks on the forged 3-iron blade is very intimidating.   

My uncle was 3 hdcp. his golf bag and clubs looked like he got them from a Salvation Army dumpster.   

Another friend of mine who is five feet tall and four feet wide who always shoots in the 70s has dirt and ball pieces in the grooves of his Cobra over-sized irons from when he first bought them in the 90s.  His wardrobe? ha! 

It is amazing how some people who have very ugly swings, dress very badly, and have bad equipment still manage to get the ball in the hole. 

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

Note to self: buy some irons with dime sized wear marks and never get hustled again.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Note to self: buy some irons with dime sized wear marks and never get hustled again.

Lol Genius

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

One I forgot:

A guy showing up to the course with plastic wrap still on the clubs! Immediate conclusion is "oh boy, better bring a book, this is going to slow." I've actually done this in a tournament and shot -1 to come in second.

I don't get this assumption. I switched to a super stroke last year and it's amazing. Has it made me a better putter? A tad... but mostly it is a confidence thing. I know that I won't get handsy and pull it.  

Don't get me wrong I make assumptions based on what I see in their bag as well but not on their grips. I would be more concerned with a guy that has a 1 iron with a dime size mark on the sweet spot.

Or sit back and watch the guy with a chipper club.

I agree. I don't get the animosity towards the Super Stroke grips, didn't that Billy guy win the FedEx cup with one of those?

But what do you if a guy shows up in those checkered pants?  You got to be a good player to wear those pants.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

One I forgot:

A guy showing up to the course with plastic wrap still on the clubs! Immediate conclusion is "oh boy, better bring a book, this is going to slow." I've actually done this in a tournament and shot -1 to come in second.

I did this once with a putter last year bc I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it. Shot 69 and won my flight. Was the best round I had played last year. Even my playing partner laughed at me when I pulled it out of my bag. Although he played like crap and we only shot 67 as a four ball team. Guess the joke was on him!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

How about the guy that shows up with the golf bag that is dusty and dirty not from playing but from the garage?

How about the guy that shows up with the golf bag that is dusty and dirty not from playing but from the garage?

That's those of us that live in the frozen north!

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

That's those of us that live in the frozen north!

As someone who lived in NJ for years, I know. I'm talking about the guy who shows up 3 months into the golf season like that. 

Let's touch on that subject....

Dufner is a solid 5. She's a 10. That doesn't work. You can only go up 3.

That's only under normal rules. Money allows you an extra 3 points of movement on the scale

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

You can have a great looking swing with terrible results, or a bad looking swing with great results. You can't always predict how someone will play by how their swing looks, that's for sure. I was surprised that day.

It's obvious we haven't played together or you would have included " bad looking swing with results to match"

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

That's only under normal rules. Money allows you an extra 3 points of movement on the scale

He's gonna be in trouble when he retires in 2 years.

We had one of these guys, but eventually it became entirely clear that people didn't want to play with him, and he left.

Yeah......and now we have added "the Drunk",  the guy that is too loud and way too boisterous.....but thanks me every week for letting him play.  So now we have Two guys that no one wants to play with.  Makes my job even harder since I have to set the pairings......Ugh!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

You're describing pratically every scramble I have had the misfortune of playing in.

"This is my first round of the year." And it's AUGUST.

Prepare for pain....

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I remember reading Harvey Penick's Little Red Book years ago and he talked about judging golfers before they played.  He told one of his students at a higher level tournament that was making fun of someone's grip and swing....if they made it here with that grip and swing then the obviously learned to score and get around the course.  Sage advice.

That being said, I see guys every week that show up like they just walked off the Tour and couldn't break 120 on the best day.  My favorite guy this year had a full bag of Titleist gear, FJ head to toe and could not get the ball more than 80 yards off the tee; then decided to wait for the green to clear from 320 just in case he "got hold of one."  That lasted about two holes before I told him to just hit and I would yell if it got close.....never even came close to sniffing green for the last 17 holes.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I like to dress the part to play golf.  Not overly so... just reasonable... respect for the game.  Years ago, while living in Miami I met a guy on the first tee wearing cut-off levis, tee-shirt and barefoot.  Easy mark... we made a bet on the round.  I shot a 76... should have skunked him.  He shot a 67.

Lesson quickly learned.

DRIVER:     Rogue 10.5 degree

3 WOOD:     Mavrik Max 15.0 degree

21 DEGREE HYBRID:     Titleist 909H

IRONS:     Callaway XR Pros  5 - PW

GAP WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  48 degree

SAND WEDGE:   Titleist Vokey  54 degree

LOB WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  56 degree

LOB WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  60 degree

PUTTER:     Odyssey Black #7

BALL:       Titleist Pro V1  

Archived