Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Youngest ever World Number 1

Aotearoa_Brad

15 01 kol 462573960 620x349.jpg

So, despite a meltdown of pretty epic proportions (by her standards anyway) Lydia Ko managed to do enough to secure LPGA World Number One status. Prior to this, Tiger Woods was the youngest to make World Number 1 at 21 years of age - so she's basically smashed that record by almost 4 years...

I remember posting a thread about Lydia's announcement that she was turning pro late 2013 (for the 2014 season). I was one of many who wished her well, and I think the general consensus was that she shouldn't set her expectations too high, and that 2014 would be a year of gaining experience. Lets let the 2014 stats do the talking:

• 3 victories in 2014 (5 total LPGA victories)
  • 15 top-10s in 2014 (24 total LPGA top-10s)
  • $2,089,033.00 in prize money in 2014
  • 26 events in 2014 without missing a cut (43 total LPGA events thus far, including as an amateur, without missing a cut)
  • 47 rounds in the 60s in 2014 (of a total of 101 rounds played)
  • Rolex Rookie of the Year in 2014 ... by a landslide...

I'd say that classifies as experience!

I heard one of the commentators during the coverage in the weekend say that off the course she is like any other 17-year-old, but on it she has the maturity of a 25 or 26-year-old. If she can continue to do this then she's likely to stay near the top of the game for a long time.

That's crazy!!!

The question is, could she do that from the tips? :lol:

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

You may have been joking Zeasy, but I think the question is irrelevant, honestly. Yes, they're probably set up to allow for a good deal of birdies and excitement, but they play the courses that are set up for them. It is what it is.

My guess is some of the metrics would be more difficult than others. She'd be up against the same field, but is only ranked 86th in distance (2014 stats) so the longer hitters may have more of an advantage there (if they can also find the fairway).

Totally kidding. A minor coming into a sport and dominating against adults means the minor is really special, or competition is pretty week. I doubt we ever see a 17 year old boy do that on the PGA tour.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Those gals can play. A course 1 mile away from me used to host an LPGA event in years past. The overall course record period is held by Meg Mallon which is a 62 from 6600 yards at sea level under tournament conditions. If you can attend a LPGA event I strongly suggest it. If not check out the college ladies golf teams. My lifelong friend's daughter just graduated last year and played at the college ranks for 4 years for a small school. I went with him some and watched and those gals can play too!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

What I find fascinating about the LPGA is how many long irons and hybrids some of them have to hit into par fours. They can't bomb it out there and hit 9irons and wedges into greens. But they can hit those hybrids stiff all day long. It's super impressive.

TIBA Putt - Discover your best stroke.

Those ladies are really good. I've gone to a couple of the LPGA events here in MN and their swings are like silk. In my opinion there putting is better then most of the PGA pro's. Lydia is an amazing young woman. To be able to come in and win events at that level at that you age just show how dedicated she has been. Can you imagine being 17 and playing against the worlds best LPGA players and winning!

Titleist AP1 irons

Titleist 913D 7.5 Degree, Stiff Speeder Tour Spec 6.2 Shaft

Wedges: Taylormade 60 d Titleist Vokey 54,56,58

Seemore Mallet Putter

Right Handed

Apple Valley, MN

8 Handicap

10885218_10205856139265562_6140026354236

That's crazy!!!

The question is, could she do that from the tips? :lol:

The answer is, yes. I see a good but not great LPGA player play from the tips (over 7,000 at Sea level) all the time and she has no trouble shooting in the 60's. Of course Brittany is long but she struggles with the greens on this course just like everyone else- see the Bermuda thread.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived