Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Reed in the firing line ... again

Aotearoa_Brad

[from GolfWeek.com]

patrick-reed-responds-accusations_t620.jpg

Patrick Reed has addressed accusations released last week that portray him in a harsh and dishonest light. Reed's management team, IMG, issued a statement Monday acknowledging the defamatory statements that appeared in an excerpt from a book, "Slaying the Tiger: A Year Inside the Ropes on the New PGA Tour," authored by Shane Ryan.

Included in Ryan's excerpt are accusations that Reed, 24, cheated during college qualifying rounds, stole from teammates and was roundly disliked. Ryan even refers to Reed as “golf's remorseless villain.”

“The accusations that were made against me are serious and were intended to damage my reputation and character,” Reed said in the IMG statement. “They will not be taken lightly. My team and my representatives are looking into all aspects of this matter, and we look forward to setting the record straight.

“For now, I'm staying focused on my life in the present and being the best husband, father and golfer I can be.”

Reed, a four-time PGA Tour winner, tied for 40th at the Waste Management Phoenix Open, and is not entered in this week's Farmers Insurance Open.

Ryan's book chronicles the lives of up-and-comers on the PGA Tour, and will be published in May.

---

While I generally don't have anything against the guy, I do have to say that he does come across as the overweight loner that sought attention by stabbing people with pencils and stealing lunches at school...

It sounds like there may be some legal dances in the near future for Mr Reed. One thing is for sure, IMG should have a litigation handicap of +1 with the amount of practice they're getting.

Gut feelings about Patrick Reed anyone? Something about him just does not sit well with me for some reason. First I've heard the break news.

Titleist AP1 irons

Titleist 913D 7.5 Degree, Stiff Speeder Tour Spec 6.2 Shaft

Wedges: Taylormade 60 d Titleist Vokey 54,56,58

Seemore Mallet Putter

Right Handed

Apple Valley, MN

8 Handicap

10885218_10205856139265562_6140026354236

What I found funny about his statement is he didn't deny any of the accusations of he stealing or being a cheat. If I was accused of that stuff, the first thing I'd say is they are false.

That being said, he had always struck me as the do anything to win guy no matter what. I never got the same warm fuzzies about his character compared to say Phil or Kuchar.

TIBA Putt - Discover your best stroke.

I find it fitting that he's a Callaway staffer.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Think he's brash but not sure i'd be willing to go that far. It takes a special kind of a-hole steal and do that stuff on the college circuit. After reading about him on the Ryder Cup team it seemed he was misunderstood more than anything and he's truly a quiet confident type.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

That's more along the lines of where I was headed with it. When I think of Reed I think brash and outspoken. The same words pop into my head when I think of Callaway. It's not necessarily a bad thing sometimes. He's an exciting player to watch.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I can't stand the guy and I think that the information is true to some point probably. Ever since he said "It's just one of those things, I believe in myself and – especially with how hard I've worked – I'm one of the top five players in the world." 

Top Five.... :lol:

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

Whether or not you like the guy isn't enough to prove the accusations. I hope the accuser has proof of the actions otherwise why would I believe him over Reed?

If I want to sell a book I want it in the news and getting press. How do I do that? Well, I could always make accusations about people who have already made a name for themselves and take advantage of people's already formed opinions of said person.

If the book writer has no proof of these things then as far as I'm concerned he's innocent until proven guilty.

For the record I do not follow Reed and I can't comment on his character because I don't know anything about him other than what the media chooses to show me.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I love that the guy accuses Reed of a bunch of really nasty stuff, but never goes above innuendo and hearsay. A freshman playing his way onto a close knit team like UGA will make some enemies from the silver spoons that get knocked off. They guy can play, and frankly, that's all that matters.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Blimey that's some harsh words to see written about you - my lawyers would be involved and Id be on the TV having my say.

Pat sits in the group of players I don't want to have dinner with, but am happy to bet on - I'm not going to like all the players on tour though am I?

But I've filed this book away in my mind as cr@p unless there's evidence.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Blimey that's some harsh words to see written about you - my lawyers would be involved and Id be on the TV having my say.

Pat sits in the group of players I don't want to have dinner with, but am happy to bet on - I'm not going to like all the players on tour though am I?

But I've filed this book away in my mind as cr@p unless there's evidence.

I think you summed up my thoughts on Patrick Reed and the matter better than I could Westy, so I just quoted you... I'm with Westy on this!

Read the actual excerpt. Can definitely see any pro being like that. Seems like this guy did some digging and I haven't heard one friend of Reed's from those teams come forward to say anything that disproves it.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I doubt this goes to court. The writer ingeniously never directly confirms that Reed did any of it and instead deals with innuendo and possibilities.

I don't watch the PGA Tour for lessons in locker room etiquette, so as long as Reed puts on a show on the course he can commit arson, larceny, play darts, whoopee cushions.... whatever else floats his boat as far as I'm concerned.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Shane Ryan? Who??!

Another blogger making a name for themselves? Oh....

The next Skip Bayless. He and Brandel Chamblee will host a program on NBC Golf called the First Tee in 5 years.

The next Skip Bayless. He and Brandel Chamblee will host a program on NBC Golf called the First Tee in 5 years.

Don't give them any ideas. Sounds all too plausible. LOL!

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Lots of entertainers, pro athletes, entrepreneurs, etc. are DBs.  Their egos tend to be quite large, and they are selfish.  They stomp through life and people and then keep on stomping. 

Not all.  Those are the people who are truly special.  Arnold Palmer comes to mind.  Well, that is my perception anyway.  I've never met him.  My dad did.   Said Mr. Palmer went out of his way to say hello and shake hands during a practice round in Warwick Hills in Grand Blanc in the 1980s. My dad unfortunately was in wrong place at the wrong time when Tom Weiskopf stomped into a hospitality tent.  Weiskopf is a DB.

I wonder what Arnold Palmer really thinks about Patrick Reed? 

I really wonder if anyone on this forum has something bad to say about Arnold Palmer?

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

Well something else has surfaced this morning about Reed on Yahoo news. It seems that his wife had Reed's "estranged" parents thrown out of the US Open last year. Don't know how true it is but Yahoo reported it.

personally I pull for him because he is brash and mostly has the game to back it up!

This reminds me of the DJ incident here a few years ago when he got arrested for DUI and our local paper drummed up and published a bunch of stuff from his past. The national media got a hold of it and ran away with it. I can remember it ticked off a lot of local people here. His past should have never been brought up because it did not have anything to do with the present situation. In fact a lot of local courses and shops including ours pulled our ads from that paper over the deal. In fact the sales person came by and asked I told her you know why we pulled our ad. She replied "don't you know about freedom of the press?" I said sure and that same freedom you cite also gives us freedom to spend our advertising dollars where we want and it aint with your paper. She turned on those high heels and stomped out I told her move fast don't let the door hit you in your arse!  Sometimes the press goes too far!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I don't know as I've ever heard a bad thing said about him.

I'm pretty sure you never will.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Lots of entertainers, pro athletes, entrepreneurs, etc. are DBs. Their egos tend to be quite large, and they are selfish. They stomp through life and people and then keep on stomping.

Not all. Those are the people who are truly special. Arnold Palmer comes to mind. Well, that is my perception anyway. I've never met him. My dad did. Said Mr. Palmer went out of his way to say hello and shake hands during a practice round in Warwick Hills in Grand Blanc in the 1980s. My dad unfortunately was in wrong place at the wrong time when Tom Weiskopf stomped into a hospitality tent. Weiskopf is a DB.

I wonder what Arnold Palmer really thinks about Patrick Reed?

I really wonder if anyone on this forum has something bad to say about Arnold Palmer?

I took lessons for a couple years from a guy that played on tour with Arnold Palmer. Said he really enjoyed sleeping with other players wives. No clue if it is true.

Well something else has surfaced this morning about Reed on Yahoo news. It seems that his wife had Reed's "estranged" parents thrown out of the US Open last year. Don't know how true it is but Yahoo reported it.

personally I pull for him because he is brash and mostly has the game to back it up!

This reminds me of the DJ incident here a few years ago when he got arrested for DUI and our local paper drummed up and published a bunch of stuff from his past. The national media got a hold of it and ran away with it. I can remember it ticked off a lot of local people here. His past should have never been brought up because it did not have anything to do with the present situation. In fact a lot of local courses and shops including ours pulled our ads from that paper over the deal. In fact the sales person came by and asked I told her you know why we pulled our ad. She replied "don't you know about freedom of the press?" I said sure and that same freedom you cite also gives us freedom to spend our advertising dollars where we want and it aint with your paper. She turned on those high heels and stomped out I told her move fast don't let the door hit you in your arse! Sometimes the press goes too far!

I read that. Pretty lame if you ask me. I learned a long time ago that you should always ask the person telling you something why they would want to tell you.

These media types sure are easily slighted and always seem to have an ax to grind.

Archived