TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is there a BIG difference between tour golf balls?

DJNiich

54 members have voted

1. 1. What is your golf ball of preference?

• Titleist Pro-V1 or Pro-V1x
    • Taylormade Penta
    • Nike One Black/Platinum/Tour
    • Callaway Tour i or ix
    • Other

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there is a difference. ProV1's are much softer than the rest. I think the Callaway's go the furthest. I usually use Bridgestone because I think it's a mesh of the longer balls (Callaway and Taylor Made) and the softer ball (ProV1).

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

If you have never heard of golfballselector.com then you should go and check them out. It is a great site that helps you find a ball that is best suited for your game. I was just trying different golf balls until I started using the site and ever since then I have been playing the Bridgestone B-330 S and my game has improved incredibly.

I think there is a difference. ProV1's are much softer than the rest. I think the Callaway's go the furthest. I usually use Bridgestone because I think it's a mesh of the longer balls (Callaway and Taylor Made) and the softer ball (ProV1).

3JACK

I would agree!

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

If you have never heard of golfballselector.com then you should go and check them out. It is a great site that helps you find a ball that is best suited for your game. I was just trying different golf balls until I started using the site and ever since then I have been playing the Bridgestone B-330 S and my game has improved incredibly.

I would see people playing Bridgestone but I always thought of them as a tire company. I'm gonna give them a try.

I think Callaway Tour IX is by far the softest ball out there... Golf manufacturers are now turning to change golf balls (Such as the new TM 5 piece Penta ball) because of the new wedge rule. If they can't create as much spin from the wedges, they will create a ball that spins more

I would see people playing Bridgestone but I always thought of them as a tire company. I'm gonna give them a try.

They are a good tire company, but they are an outstanding ball manufacturer! The B-330, B-3330s, and B-330RX are solid golf balls.

I read a report that Tigers golf ball is a different version then the retail ball. Thinner cover. Not sure on any other company. If you have not played a Bridgestone ball I would tell you to pick a dozen up. You will never look back.

Scotty B

Okay. So I have to be completely honest and say that I'm a closest Pro V1 fan. WOW! To this day, I see why so many people love it. I've been playing the Tour iX and lately the Bridgestone e7+. And while the e7+ is very nice, it's NOT a Pro v1. Off the putter and irons, the Pro v1 is ridiculous. SO soft. SO pure. Whoa. And Ive played the Tour I which is an outstanding ball too nbut I can still see why overwhelmingly people play the Prov1. Damn. It's such a great ball.

I think Callaway Tour IX is by far the softest ball out there... Golf manufacturers are now turning to change golf balls (Such as the new TM 5 piece Penta ball) because of the new wedge rule. If they can't create as much spin from the wedges, they will create a ball that spins more

I think you mean Tour I. The ix is certainly harder than the I.

Okay. So I have to be completely honest and say that I'm a closest Pro V1 fan. WOW! To this day, I see why so many people love it. I've been playing the Tour iX and lately the Bridgestone e7+. And while the e7+ is very nice, it's NOT a Pro v1. Off the putter and irons, the Pro v1 is ridiculous. SO soft. SO pure. Whoa. And Ive played the Tour I which is an outstanding ball too nbut I can still see why overwhelmingly people play the Prov1. Damn. It's such a great ball.

Have you tried the Bridgestone B-330 or the B-330s? I think the compare extremely well to the Pro-V1 and V1X.

Have you tried the Bridgestone B-330 or the B-330s? I think the compare extremely well to the Pro-V1 and V1X.

Yes. On several occasions. I like the 330s but can't stand the 330. But to mr, they aren't Pro v1's nor v1x's. And I'm more of a tour I and tour I'd homer. But I may switch this year. I do have a TP Penta to try out though. Hum n

Speaking as someone that has done extensive testing on golf balls (including machine driven), I'd have to say that half of the diference seen in tour products is actually the golfer. When the balls are hit by an unbiased machine, and launched at optimal conditions for each ball carry distance diferences aren't much (±5 yds). I believe that it mostly boils down to if you like the way it performs and feels. It's the ball for you. I've personally hit every tour ball on the market, for my swing certain balls fly too high, others I feel are too hard, but haveing been a scratch player for 20+ years I can get all the tour balls to do what I need. I play Pro V1 because I like the feel and the flight when I hit it. Plain and simple... my second choice would be the Bridgestone Tour B330-S. Bridgestone makes excellent product.

Great post by M/Hacker - at the end of the day it always comes down to it mostly boils down to if you like the way it performs and feels. It's the ball for you.

I'm prone to try out 3/4 new balls every spring, some because of price and buzz, others because of buzz.

Last season I started off with the Callaway ix, great, great ball for me and then alternated between the T/M TP Reds and the Bridgestone E5's -

They all performed well for me and the E's saved me a few bucks.

I will say that I am a fan, of sorts, of the dimple/dimple technology and will probably try out a sleeve of the upper tier TopFlites to see how they perform.

In closing this I want to tell you that several years ago I played alongside an old guy (70's) who played Pinnacles. That s.o.b would wedge them and back them up six feet on the green. At the end of the day you can make about any ball do what you want if you've got the skill to do it.

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

I've only been playing for a year or two and I never thought the ball I was using made any difference (at least not for my game)...

Last year I got a couple free sleeves of Callaway Tour ix, and I was surprised at how well I hit them. They were 10-15 yards longer off the drive and for the first time I was able to control the ball on the greens. This never happened with the Nike Power Distance I was using before...

Since then I've tried using the older style Nike one Black, and I think I am going to continue using better, 3 layer balls, even though my game is inconsistent... For me a better ball makes a big difference...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Mud -

Last year I got a couple free sleeves of Callaway Tour ix, and I was surprised at how well I hit them. They were 10-15 yards longer off the drive and for the first time I was able to control the ball on the greens.

Funny how I could have written your post as every word would be the same for me.

Received mine from Cally C/S along with a half dozen Bites. They did seem longer but you never know.

I just bought a Skycaddie off a forum buy/sell and this will be the season, if the snow ever clears out here in CT, to find out just how far those drives went. It should be fun.

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

I've only been playing for a year or two and I never thought the ball I was using made any difference (at least not for my game)...

Last year I got a couple free sleeves of Callaway Tour ix, and I was surprised at how well I hit them. They were 10-15 yards longer off the drive and for the first time I was able to control the ball on the greens. This never happened with the Nike Power Distance I was using before...

Since then I've tried using the older style Nike one Black, and I think I am going to continue using better, 3 layer balls, even though my game is inconsistent... For me a better ball makes a big difference...

It may not seem like such a big deal for some people but the callaway hex dimples throw me off

I would say it like any other fitting we make when get new equipment. It is a set of parameters that makes us play well with different equipment as well as premium golf balls.

I really like how the ProV1 X performs both of the tee and around the green. The Bridgestone B330-s is a favorite but not that easy to get hold of in Sweden.

I got laugh at when got fitted for new irons after hitting a dozen new Prov1 x of the range to see how they performed with both the wedges and 6 iron. But I was paying about $1300 for new irons and wedges.

So $50 to see if they performed as I hoped isn't that much is it?

By the way the fitter used Callaway HX hot for the fitting....

Mizuno

MP-630 FT Oban devotion 6 X || MP Craft 425 9.5° X-CON 6 X

F60 15° Grafalloy PL RED X || MP Ti 18 ° USt axiv core Black

MP FLI-HI 21° Steelfiber 110i X

MP62 Black Nickel 4-PW KBS Tour 6.5 +3/4'' 2° up

MP T10 RAW Black Satin 52° 56° 60° KBS Tour 6.5 +3/4'' 2° up

C-05 35''

No love for Srixon? Surprising. Z-Star is an amazing product.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I've recently transitioned the B330RX. It still checks for me (not as much as the Pro V1 - which spins too much) and the cover lasts much longer.

Playing a good golf ball can save many strokes. I mentioned this in the other thread.

• SPY VIP

Bridgestone Tour B330-RX is my ball of choice but the only ball that feels different from all the rest is the Pro V1 IMO.

+1 for the 330RX. I also like the Wilson Zip in a cash pinch. Got a 2 pack of the new Wilson Staff tour ball. Feels great on the putting green. Will play one the next time out.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

One ball most people don't know of that are going to rise up in ball making is Dixon Golf. They only have one ball out right now but its pretty good. A tour ball is coming out in a few months.

2 page add for Maxfli tour balls in the new GD. One is marketed an awful lot like the 330RX. Anyone know retail on these?

Maxfli HT Tour advertised for $29.99 at Dick's Sporting Goods

the other models are coming out later.

• SPY VIP

Maxfli HT Tour advertised for $29.99 at Dick's Sporting Goods

the other models are coming out later.

Thanks. That means that they are head to head with the pricing for the Wilson Staff tour ball...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I thought that Maxfli was an Inhouse brand for Dicks... Am I wrong??

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived