TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is there a BIG difference between tour golf balls?

DJNiich

54 members have voted

1. 1. What is your golf ball of preference?

• Titleist Pro-V1 or Pro-V1x
    • Taylormade Penta
    • Nike One Black/Platinum/Tour
    • Callaway Tour i or ix
    • Other

Yes, there is a difference. Time and again, the Callaway Tour iX is THE longest ball for me... followed cloesly by the Pro V1X. But man, the Tour iX is DEEP. Can't wait to put the TP Penta and the Tour iZ into play.

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bridgestone has impressed me so much. used to play all Titleist balls and Bridgestone has my vote. in a previous post it said that the B330 and B330s was a good mesh of the callaway balls and the titleist balls...so true.

Call me brand washed, but I like the ProV1x. I did a blind feel test off my putter, and the ProV1x was the best by a substantial margin. Obviously that's hugely subjective, so take it for what it's worth. I have picked up a few Bridgestone RX330s and thought they were pretty neat balls, but there's nowhere to get them really cheap.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Call me brand washed, but I like the ProV1x. I did a blind feel test off my putter, and the ProV1x was the best by a substantial margin. Obviously that's hugely subjective, so take it for what it's worth. I have picked up a few Bridgestone RX330s and thought they were pretty neat balls, but there's nowhere to get them really cheap.

Amazon sellers sometimes list them for about 35. Click on the new/used link when you find the page for the balls.

I really like the feel of the 330rx on the putter.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Don't forget the Srixon Z-Star series of balls! There is a tour prototype version that a few staffers play called the Diamond, otherwise known as the XV. Ryo Ishikawa

• SPY VIP

Don't forget the Srixon Z-Star series of balls! There is a tour prototype version that a few staffers play called the Diamond, otherwise known as the XV. Ryo Ishikawa

How is the compression rating for these? I swing at about 104-105. Did the Bridgestone fitting last summer. Was playing Caly Ix and ZUR C at the time. The 330RX smoked both of them in the data. Operator said that I just don't swing hard enough to compress the tour ball core.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

I wouldn't say that the difference is huge, but there is a difference.

What do you think is different? V1 vs V1x difference? or V1 vs Z Star differences?

Volvo Intorqueo

I currently play the Titleist NXT Tours which are great if you want a performance ball at a lower price point. But I have a couple of balls on my demo list this season including the new Srixon Z-Star Tour and the new Maxfli Tour balls.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

I currently play the Titleist NXT Tours which are great if you want a performance ball at a lower price point. But I have a couple of balls on my demo list this season including the new Srixon Z-Star Tour and the new Maxfli Tour balls.

Add the new Wilson Staff tour balls to your list. They are nice, and below the other price point for the big brand tour balls.

Volvo Intorqueo

What do you think is different? V1 vs V1x difference? or V1 vs Z Star differences?

The V1 vs. V1x is different because of slightly different levels of spin and distance. The V1 vs. another tour ball is that some companies have their spinnier ball a 4 piece, while some have it as the 3 piece. They all have slightly different playing characteristics. I've found that Taylor Mades are a little longer, ProV1s are a little spinnier, Srixons are a little more durable, and Bridgestones are a little softer. But those are a subjective.

Add the new Wilson Staff tour balls to your list. They are nice, and below the other price point for the big brand tour balls.

I tried some of the Wilson balls with lower compressions and the ionomer cover. I wasn't a big fan. I thought they felt really odd off the driver and putter. I know that isn't very descriptive but I just didn't like it.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

I tried some of the Wilson balls with lower compressions and the ionomer cover. I wasn't a big fan. I thought they felt really odd off the driver and putter. I know that isn't very descriptive but I just didn't like it.

Wilson balls had odd dimples a couple years ago. Not sure if they still do, but they were called zip dimples, I believe.

Zip was the name of ball and also slang for zero compression.

The new Wilson balls are urethane cover.

Volvo Intorqueo

If we're mentioning less expensive balls that still offer good performance, I like the TM Burner TP. $25 per dozen, tops, and there's not too much I can't do with one. The only thing I didn't like was that I found it was quite a bit longer off my irons, but in a sporadic way.

Sactown, thanks for the note on the RXs, but when I say cheap, I mean really cheap. I'm a big fan of recycled balls and I can get ProV1xs for less than $2 each and I saw a deal recently with TM TP Reds and Blacks for less than $1 a piece if you bought a big bucket of them.

• SPY VIP

If we're mentioning less expensive balls that still offer good performance, I like the TM Burner TP. $25 per dozen, tops, and there's not too much I can't do with one. The only thing I didn't like was that I found it was quite a bit longer off my irons, but in a sporadic way.

Sactown, thanks for the note on the RXs, but when I say cheap, I mean really cheap. I'm a big fan of recycled balls and I can get ProV1xs for less than $2 each and I saw a deal recently with TM TP Reds and Blacks for less than $1 a piece if you bought a big bucket of them.

Sam's Club has baskets of 50 balls for under $20. recycled. Lots of different brands. the only one that I remember for sure was a mojo in the bottom of the basket. cool basket too, looks like a range basket.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

I get most of my used balls from lostgolfballs.com and sites like that. There seem to be an ever increasing number of those sites, and if you look through them all you can find some real deals.

I went to lostgolfballs a while ago to fill my shag bag with old 330rx balls. No low grade at the time. With your reminder, I will check again. thx

Volvo Intorqueo

Careful with the recycled balls. A premium ball has been engineered to perform in a certain way with strict tolerances on cover thickness, weight, ect. A recycled ball may have been cleaned, painted, and clearcoated. this dramatically effects the way the ball flies. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for with golf balls.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

Careful with the recycled balls. A premium ball has been engineered to perform in a certain way with strict tolerances on cover thickness, weight, ect. A recycled ball may have been cleaned, painted, and clearcoated. this dramatically effects the way the ball flies. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for with golf balls.

Good info, I was mainly thinking to practice with the ball I play. Ugly 330rx would be OK. Maybe I should not get the lowest grade though.

Volvo Intorqueo

They're still good enough for a practice ball.

I'm anxious to try the FG Tour ball from Wilson. Please give an in depth opinion when you get the chance to play.

Nothing feels like the Pro V1 around and on the greens but I always enjoy trying new balls..

• SPY VIP

I'm anxious to try the FG Tour ball from Wilson. Please give an in depth opinion when you get the chance to play.

Nothing feels like the Pro V1 around and on the greens but I always enjoy trying new balls..

I will use it tomorrow and report back if the "find the time for golf" gods comply

Volvo Intorqueo

Good info, I was mainly thinking to practice with the ball I play. Ugly 330rx would be OK. Maybe I should not get the lowest grade though.

I always buy the best or second best grade and I've never had any problems with the balls being funny. Of course, now that I've said that, all the balls I'm bringing on my trip are going to be lemons.

• SPY VIP

I always buy the best or second best grade and I've never had any problems with the balls being funny. Of course, now that I've said that, all the balls I'm bringing on my trip are going to be lemons.

Nah, just go and kill a chicken with your 7 iron to satisfy the golf gods.

{no I don't really think that he should kill a chicken}

Thanks for the info on the used ball grades btw.

Volvo Intorqueo

I have a dozen of the Z-Star Diamond balls from a friend that is a tour player for Cleveland/Srixon. I had played the Callaway Tour I and I am currently playing the Bridgestone B330 and B330-s(about 4 dozen of each), I will report back once I play this Friday.

Chris Jordan

23836_1246921490608_1156541241_30561961_4305609_s.jpg

Sunset Beach Custom Putters

Email me

Driver: Adams Fast 10 w/ Matrix Ozik TP6HD

3 Wood: Nickent 3dx Tour 3+ w/ UST Mamiya Black

5 Wood: Bridgestone J38 / Motore F1

Hybrid: TM Rescue TP 22* w/ UST Mamiya Black

4-PW: Bridgestone J38 Dual Pocket Cavity w/ Project X

52* and 58* - J38 Black Oxide w/ Project X

Putter - SSB Ocracoke in Oil-Rubbed Bronze

Ball - Srixon Z-Star Tour Diamond or Bridgestone B-330S

I want some Z-Star Diamonds.... I am almost out of Z-URC's. Time to upgrade.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I voted Titleist because I have (and find, lol) so many....but I'd just as soon play Callaway's high end ball. Of course, I'm a big Callaway guy so take that for what it's worth.

And to the thread title -- for the recreational player, even recreational competitive player, I don't think the ball makes that much a difference within the same category. Sure...one may give you 2-5 yds difference, but that's not much IMHO.

My ball of choice is the Callaway ix, I think it feels best around the greens. I play Bridgestone e7s when its cold out (below 45-50F) because I think the cold really puts a damper on ball performance so why shell out the extra when the benefits are minimal.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I play prov-1. I got a lot of used ones for xmas.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Archived