Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Is there a BIG difference between tour golf balls?

DJNiich

54 members have voted

1. 1. What is your golf ball of preference?

• Titleist Pro-V1 or Pro-V1x
    • Taylormade Penta
    • Nike One Black/Platinum/Tour
    • Callaway Tour i or ix
    • Other

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have preformed pretty well.. I played the Tour I/X for a year in highschool... Worked great. I haven't played the tour level Srixons or Bridgestones. So I would like to try them some time.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

They have preformed pretty well.. I played the Tour I/X for a year in highschool... Worked great. I haven't played the tour level Srixons or Bridgestones. So I would like to try them some time.

If you can find a Bridgestone ball fitting demo. it is worth seeking out. Launch monitor data to back up claims. B330 series are excellent.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

If you can find a Bridgestone ball fitting demo. it is worth seeking out. Launch monitor data to back up claims. B330 series are excellent.

The Bstone fittins is great for DRIVER fitting, but lacks for around the green performance. IT is a good starting point though.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

The titleist fitting that is supposed to get started looks interesting. I will see if I can find the link on the Titleist site.

Edit: Found it.

http://www.titleist.com/ballfitting/

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

The Bstone fittins is great for DRIVER fitting, but lacks for around the green performance. IT is a good starting point though.

Did you find a 330 that you didn't like around the green? 330rx has been great for me there and feels great on the putter.

Volvo Intorqueo

This is a good point. I know this flies in the face of what many would say, but I'm a bit more concerned about driver performance (direction, not distance) than spin around the greens. I've yet to encounter a tour ball that wasn't acceptable around the greens for me. Some are better than others, but the gap is not as big as it is when it comes to the tee ball.

I think it's neat that Titleist is coming out with ball fittings now to challenge Bridgestone. I like that they are offering a different approach, starting at the green. It's a pretty clear snipe at Bridgestone when they repeatedly say (in the video) that the tee shot is just one stroke.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

This is a good point. I know this flies in the face of what many would say, but I'm a bit more concerned about driver performance (direction, not distance) than spin around the greens. I've yet to encounter a tour ball that wasn't acceptable around the greens for me. Some are better than others, but the gap is not as big as it is when it comes to the tee ball.

I think it's neat that Titleist is coming out with ball fittings now to challenge Bridgestone. I like that they are offering a different approach, starting at the green. It's a pretty clear snipe at Bridgestone when they repeatedly say (in the video) that the tee shot is just one stroke.

Titleist had ball fittings at our course last year. Driver fitting only. Did it prior to the bridgestone fitting. They put me in a prov1x. Bridgestone guy says my 105 mph ss can't compress the core of the proV. Enter 330rx. Longer.

Plenty of spin for me, stops well on greens (when I can hit them).

This video makes it seem like you will spend the day with the rep, but it will be a trackman driver fitting.

Volvo Intorqueo

Titleist had ball fittings at our course last year. Driver fitting only. Did it prior to the bridgestone fitting. They put me in a prov1x. Bridgestone guy says my 105 mph ss can't compress the core of the proV. Enter 330rx. Longer.

Plenty of spin for me, stops well on greens (when I can hit them).

This video makes it seem like you will spend the day with the rep, but it will be a trackman driver fitting.

Yeah, I suspect that video is a bit idyllic in showing one on one time with a rep on a putting green. I would have to guess that one of two things is true (or it could be both):

1) You are going to get moved through this process pretty quickly. Hit a handful of pitches, move on to putting, move on to driving, get out.

2) The fitting will not be free.

I would guess that to keep up with Bridgestone, the fittings will be free, and you will just get moved through it fairly quickly. Regardless, I'd love to get on a trackman and see what my driver numbers look like.

Sactown, with regard to the 330RX, how does it play in the wind and how does it compare to other premium balls in terms of being straight off the tee?

Did you find a 330 that you didn't like around the green? 330rx has been great for me there and feels great on the putter.

I can't spin anything on less than a full shot anymore... Too old. Just some feedback form players that I know. I have used the B330s that I was fit for a lot, and have loved it, but have had as much success with the Srixon Z-URC. MMMMMmmmmm. I wish I could still get them.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

Sactown, with regard to the 330RX, how does it play in the wind and how does it compare to other premium balls in terms of being straight off the tee?

Wind is usually not much of a play issue here and I don't remember the rx ballooning in the wind or behaving better or worse than any other ball. It is usually nice and straight off the tee, providing I put a good swing on it of course. I think that the extra compression of the core actually makes it fly a bit straighter. my interpretation of this is that is compresses on the face first, and then expands and begins to spin. Not compressing the core of the of the other balls with my SS seems like it has the chance to spin earlier. I really like the ball.

Volvo Intorqueo

Wind is usually not much of a play issue here and I don't remember the rx ballooning in the wind or behaving better or worse than any other ball. It is usually nice and straight off the tee, providing I put a good swing on it of course. I think that the extra compression of the core actually makes it fly a bit straighter. my interpretation of this is that is compresses on the face first, and then expands and begins to spin. Not compressing the core of the of the other balls with my SS seems like it has the chance to spin earlier. I really like the ball.

That's an interesting explanation of the compression/spin relationship. Is that your idea, did you read it somewhere, etc? Not being critical at all, just curious because it seems pretty reasonable to me.

If you find that the RX is just as straight as others, that makes me want to give it some serious play even more. If I leave my current stash on the beaches of Myrtle, I may load up on some RXs when I get back.

I recently switch from playing hard rocks to the 330rx. Played 9 holes, and still have to adjust. They feel muted on chips and puts and also come up short every single time. But let's give it some time (and change to a non insert putter).

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

• SPY VIP

I recently switch from playing hard rocks to the 330rx. Played 9 holes, and still have to adjust. They feel muted on chips and puts and also come up short every single time. But let's give it some time (and change to a non insert putter).

I am right with you with the insert putter feel issue. When the DFX 2Ball comes out for practice, the ball is so soft it vanishes in the stroke for me. Metal blade feels good, although I have used the ball for a while now and I keep a sleeve in the car for jaunts to the practice green.

Volvo Intorqueo

You guys bring up an point I've been thinking about lately: how much does feel off the putter matter in ball selection? To me, balls all perform the same off the putter, so I don't get too worried if it doesn't feel amazing if it performs well in other aspects of the game.

Wow. Used stuff for XMas?

My whole bag is used stuff except for my putter. A lot cheaper that way. The balls still work. I am not anal about scuffs...

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

My whole bag is used stuff except for my putter. A lot cheaper that way. The balls still work. I am not anal about scuffs...

I am very wary of used golf balls. Some of them have been recovered with a clear coat that seriously diminishes the preformance of the ball. I might feel different if I had to buy balls...

I am very wary of used golf balls. Some of them have been recovered with a clear coat that seriously diminishes the preformance of the ball. I might feel different if I had to buy balls...

I know where they came from... The guy hunts golf balls in the summer.

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

So what, they come out of the woods?

The woods, weeds, ditches, and such.

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

that sounds like a good way to get some inexpensive balls. I should look into that..

• SPY VIP

Got out and putted a bit with the new Wilson Staff Tour ball today. Very nice off the putter. Alternated B330RX with the Wilson and the results were similar, although the 330rx seemed a bit softer and less explosive off the face.

Will add more once I can hit them with hitting clubs.

Volvo Intorqueo

Got out and putted a bit with the new Wilson Staff Tour ball today. Very nice off the putter. Alternated B330RX with the Wilson and the results were similar, although the 330rx seemed a bit softer and less explosive off the face.

Will add more once I can hit them with hitting clubs.

Anything in particular that caused you to test the Wilson Staff Tour? Is it aimed at "regular" players like the RX? Is it cheaper than most tour balls?

• SPY VIP

Anything in particular that caused you to test the Wilson Staff Tour? Is it aimed at "regular" players like the RX? Is it cheaper than most tour balls?

Shop gave me a free 2 pack when I asked about them. I like the Wilson Zip for everything except stopping on the green. Urethane cover on the FG (?) so I thought I would try them. MSRP of $29/doz or there abouts

Volvo Intorqueo

Shop gave me a free 2 pack when I asked about them. I like the Wilson Zip for everything except stopping on the green. Urethane cover on the FG (?) so I thought I would try them. MSRP of $29/doz or there abouts

$30/dozen is a nice price if it performs equally with other tour balls. I may have to try and get my hands on a sleeve.

$30/dozen is a nice price if it performs equally with other tour balls. I may have to try and get my hands on a sleeve.

we are closing out our B330RX's at 32.99 a doz.. last years balls, and not a ton left. PM me, and I can give you the shops #. I am gone until Sun.

You guys bring up an point I've been thinking about lately: how much does feel off the putter matter in ball selection? To me, balls all perform the same off the putter, so I don't get too worried if it doesn't feel amazing if it performs well in other aspects of the game.

For me, putter feel is a HUGE factor on whether a ball works it's way into my bag. I don't like hard balls no matter how much they perform off the driver and spin on full wedge shots. For instance, I tried the E5 because I heard it spins great for a two piece ball and is long. HATED it because it felt like a rock off the putter and I kept blowing it two feet past the hole.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Archived