Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Adams hybrid

revkev

For those who have tried them what is the difference between the Adams xtd and the Adams pro hybrid?

Thanks

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Xtd is titanium and adjustable. I think the pro may be a little deeper.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

I'm concerned about the lofts on the xtds but they could be turned down. Do they launch high? Remember that the old swing is slowing down a bit here.

Thanks Zeasy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I had a 16* xtd ti. Much hotter than the pro. I didn't have an issue launching it. But I also had a white tie in it.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Perfect - that's just the info I needed -

Does the white tie launch higher than the red tie?  I'm not familiar with those shafts beyond reading a review here or there.

I had the original Idea Pros and loved them but through time and a bout with pneumonia the shafts became too strong - I probably should have just reshafted them or purchased them with R flexes - really liked those hybrids and could nut the heck out of them.  One of my kids has them now so I'm not getting them back.

As we know from other threads I'm not happy with my performance in the 140-180 range - 4 hybrid is the club at the top end of that range - I'm far more confident with 5 wood at 195 or even a gripped down 5 wood at 185 than a 4 hybrid right now and that's lead to some bad things on the course, like nutting the gripped down 5 wood and knocking it over the green.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

The white launches pretty high. Much higher than the red, imo. Check out the sldr hybrids as well. Similar profile to the xtd ti but a tick more forgiving (and a better price).

I have an XTD 20* Rev, also with the Red Tie -- Zeasy nails it: it's stupid hot off the face.  Brought it to 2nd Swing a couple of weeks ago to check my gaps and compared it to the new R15 Hybrids.  Shockingly similar in appearance.

Shocking!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I have an XTD 20* Rev, also with the Red Tie -- Zeasy nails it: it's stupid hot off the face. Brought it to 2nd Swing a couple of weeks ago to check my gaps and compared it to the new R15 Hybrids. Shockingly similar in appearance.

Shocking!

Did you hit the Nike's in Ft. Worth? How were they? I'm thing about going 16/17 and 18/19/20. The xtd was super nice, I ordered it with a red tie, but they sent it with a white, so I got rid of it.

MGS always comes through with the needed info -

@Zeasy I've tried the Jet speed hybrid (cheaper still) and liked it - any thoughts there compared to the xtd - I'm liking the hot part because of that gap between my 23 and my 5 wood - it's really 20 yards and I need more out of my 4 hybrid that I'm getting - I should be able to hit that club 185 based on how long I hit everything else.  I'm not comfortable at much over 175 with my current gamer and I'm not consistent with it - I have trouble finding the center of the club.

I tend to prefer a more ironish sort of hybrid.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

MGS always comes through with the needed info -

@Zeasy I've tried the Jet speed hybrid (cheaper still) and liked it - any thoughts there compared to the xtd - I'm liking the hot part because of that gap between my 23 and my 5 wood - it's really 20 yards and I need more out of my 4 hybrid that I'm getting - I should be able to hit that club 185 based on how long I hit everything else. I'm not comfortable at much over 175 with my current gamer and I'm not consistent with it - I have trouble finding the center of the club.

I tend to prefer a more ironish sort of hybrid.

No experience with the jet speed. I'll take a look though. I like a hybrid that isn't geared for a hook. So pro models are what I stick to. I had a super LS xtd. But couldn't get used to the white. Loved the shape though. May go jet speed (similar profile) in the low loft and Sldr in the high loft based on this conversation.

Check out the x2hot pro as well. Really nice (if you can get over the Callaway stank) and "hot."

Did you hit the Nike's in Ft. Worth? How were they? I'm thing about going 16/17 and 18/19/20. The xtd was super nice, I ordered it with a red tie, but they sent it with a white, so I got rid of it.

Did hit them -- much preferred the Vapor Flex hybrid over the Vapor Speed -- adjustable and smaller profile.  I'd game them no problem.  If you don't mind a bigger profile head, I hit the Wilson D-200 19* last night -- every bit as good as Nike, Adams, et al.  Stock shaft may be a little light for your swing Zeasy, but not a bad option at all. 

And X2Hots? Bueno!  Have demoed them at GolfSmith - really good.  Buddy with a 112 driver swing games one and just kills it.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Did hit them -- much preferred the Vapor Flex hybrid over the Vapor Speed -- adjustable and smaller profile. I'd game them no problem. If you don't mind a bigger profile head, I hit the Wilson D-200 19* last night -- every bit as good as Nike, Adams, et al. Stock shaft may be a little light for your swing Zeasy, but not a bad option at all.

And X2Hots? Bueno! Have demoed them at GolfSmith - really good. Buddy with a 112 driver swing games one and just kills it.

Im in a weird spot as far as hybrids go. I want a mini fairway for the #2 and an xl iron for the #3

I have demo'd the x2hots and like them - Callaway/TMag/whatever I don't care so long as it works - I have xhot xtreme fairways and love them - these are the first Callaways that I've ever bagged - I tend to like the pro designations because they aren't set up to hook - I have to be very careful with hybrids because I'll hook them -

I may give those Callaways another try

Remember Zeasy I'm exactly in that category that the hot stuff or the Wilson C's are targeting the guy who still plays well but has lost a bit off the old fastball.  They may just be the ticket and should blow from my current fairways nicely - The Wilson is too light - tried it the other day and didn't like it - block city - I'd have to get a heavier shaft put in and I don't want to go to that trouble. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I have demo'd the x2hots and like them - Callaway/TMag/whatever I don't care so long as it works - I have xhot xtreme fairways and love them - these are the first Callaways that I've ever bagged - I tend to like the pro designations because they aren't set up to hook - I have to be very careful with hybrids because I'll hook them -

I may give those Callaways another try

Remember Zeasy I'm exactly in that category that the hot stuff or the Wilson C's are targeting the guy who still plays well but has lost a bit off the old fastball. They may just be the ticket and should blow from my current fairways nicely - The Wilson is too light - tried it the other day and didn't like it - block city - I'd have to get a heavier shaft put in and I don't want to go to that trouble.

You're gonna want the hottest face, then. Who makes a hotter face than an adams ti?

Of course its flow not blow though maybe that was a Freudian slip - I'm not going to go back and edit it.  I really like the look of the Adams - it's a bit smaller profile - I love the profile of the pro but I suspect the xtd is just the ticket for my game.

I'm going to sit on it a day but you see I can get 2 of those bad boys from global golf, take two lessons and still get change back from my $250 that I have set aside from my FFB winnings this season. :)

Got to love a two QB league when you have Rodgers/Wilson and someone gave up on Odell Beckham so you picked him up on the waiver wires and now can keep him for three years.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Of course its flow not blow though maybe that was a Freudian slip - I'm not going to go back and edit it. I really like the look of the Adams - it's a bit smaller profile - I love the profile of the pro but I suspect the xtd is just the ticket for my game.

I'm going to sit on it a day but you see I can get 2 of those bad boys from global golf, take two lessons and still get change back from my $250 that I have set aside from my FFB winnings this season. :)

Got to love a two QB league when you have Rodgers/Wilson and someone gave up on Odell Beckham so you picked him up on the waiver wires and now can keep him for three years.

I've won two qb fantasy leagues. In one qb leagues I'm last place.

Im in a weird spot as far as hybrids go. I want a mini fairway for the #2 and an xl iron for the #3

Thinking about this setup for the upcoming year:  #4 utility iron, 17* hybrid, 13-14* Fairway and driver.  Hope it's enough options...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thinking about this setup for the upcoming year:  #4 utility iron, 17* hybrid, 13-14* Fairway and driver.  Hope it's enough options...

Utility iron as in like dhy/g20 kind of club? so strong 3, 2 hybrid, 4 hybrid, 4 iron?

Perfect - that's just the info I needed -

Does the white tie launch higher than the red tie?  I'm not familiar with those shafts beyond reading a review here or there.

I had the original Idea Pros and loved them but through time and a bout with pneumonia the shafts became too strong - I probably should have just reshafted them or purchased them with R flexes - really liked those hybrids and could nut the heck out of them.  One of my kids has them now so I'm not getting them back.

As we know from other threads I'm not happy with my performance in the 140-180 range - 4 hybrid is the club at the top end of that range - I'm far more confident with 5 wood at 195 or even a gripped down 5 wood at 185 than a 4 hybrid right now and that's lead to some bad things on the course, like nutting the gripped down 5 wood and knocking it over the green.

I feel that. Still have two sets of 20 & 23 old school idea pros. X flex Altus in them right now need to go, however.

Tried the '14 Pro hybrids. The original Idea Pros they ain't.

Also have 22 & 25 heads in the '13 LS Hybrids if anyone wants them on the cheap.

913H is my best hybrid at the moment. Wanting to go old school again with new shafts in my Idea Pros and Nickent 3DX DC's this season. They are classics.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Utility iron as in like dhy/g20 kind of club? so strong 3, 2 hybrid, 4 hybrid, 4 iron?

Yeah -- setup may look like this:  PW down to 5 iron, 4 utility, 17* hybrid, Strong 3 wood.  Not sure if that will be too much gapping at the long end of the bag.  Benefit is I'd get to add a 60* wedge to the mix - will have to try it out a few times to see if it works.  May need to do 4 iron, 3 utility, etc...although at my fitting I was hitting the 3 and 4 utility irons about the same distance - not enough to matter.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Honestly I'm tempted to look at the original Idea Pro with a regular shaft.  I hit those so well that if I could get them out of my kid's bag I would - he's bigger than I am though and might beat me with his SW.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I know I am a bit late....work travel has been brutal this week.  I just had Adams put together an 18* XTD Ti for me at the end of last season with a Matrix Black Tie X in it and I love it.  The head launches a higher than the pro and the face is very HOT.  I ended up with the Black Tie to reduce the launch and flatten the ball flight a bit and it was mission accomplished.  I have it set at one degree higher to fit the distance gap that I was looking to fill, but again think it is just a solid club.  I have played Adams hybrids for the last decade and for me there is nothing better on the market.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Rev, if you want my honest opinion, look for an older Adams.  I picked up an Adams Super Hybrid XTD new in the plastic last year, for $60 shipped.  They sold for nearly $300 when they first came out.  You can't go wrong with an Adams, even if it is 3-4 seasons old.

Yup...really don't hear much bad about Adams Hybrids. The Super 9031 that's a couple models old now is a fantastic club.  Much smaller profile than most hybrids.  It came mostly with the Diamama D+ shaft. 

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Yup...really don't hear much bad about Adams Hybrids. The Super 9031 that's a couple models old now is a fantastic club.  Much smaller profile than most hybrids.  It came mostly with the Diamama D+ shaft. 

Solid club...had one in the bag for most of last season with the D+.

WITB 2024

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Okay can any of you compare the Super 9031 to the original Idea Pro - I like my hybrids a bit on the iron side of things - not as much irony as the new dyh or however the letters are combined by Adams - I'd say the XTD ti is about as far as I would like to go in terms of towards the fairway wood.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

The Super 9031 is a bit smaller footprint than the Idea Pro and the ball flight is a bit flatter with the Super 9031 which I think may be more shaft than head.  I was never a fan of the stock Aldila shaft in the Idea Pro so I may be a bit biased.

You really can't go wrong with either hybrid to be honest.

WITB 2024

It's funny - I loved that shaft in the Idea Pro but no doubt we have different swing profiles.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Okay can any of you compare the Super 9031 to the original Idea Pro - I like my hybrids a bit on the iron side of things - not as much irony as the new dyh or however the letters are combined by Adams - I'd say the XTD ti is about as far as I would like to go in terms of towards the fairway wood.

Super 9031 is a nice stick. Smallest of the non dhy adams hybrids.

It's funny - I loved that shaft in the Idea Pro but no doubt we have different swing profiles.

I would agree with that.  The Proto by you shaft was just never a good fit for me in any club.  Had an FT-5 Tour with the shaft in an X tipped and inch and it still flew way too high for my liking...that being said the Idea Pro was still a nice club with that shaft in it.

I am also one of the only guys that has ever asked for a Black Tie in a hybrid from Adams...when I ordered it they actually tried talking me out of it on the phone.

WITB 2024

Archived